eye with saw blade

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Bill-in-Texas

Re: eye with saw blade

Post by Bill-in-Texas »

That's a nice design! I may have missed it... How large is this knife, closed? It appears to be a great model to wear on your belt. Did it come with a case?
prairiedog

Post by prairiedog »

Bill in Texas ::handshake:: ...closed length 3 5/8"...no factory case that I'm aware of.

Perry
Perry

When the knife your grandfather/father carried or put up is handed down to you...treasure it...open it up from time to time...and by all means, keep it!
prairiedog

Post by prairiedog »

Ok...its been 3 or 4 years now since I started this thread about the posted knife and I figured I do a follow up.
I recently made it my edc because it's vintage Eye brand...and I didn't mind putting it to a stone being that it was already slightly honed when I bought it. Throw in the fact that it's not a knife you see everyday, also makes it a good conversation piece. The locking mechanism was also a plus and played a part in my decision.
Well, after sharpening this knife and putting it through some moderate use...all I can say is "wow!" It's sharp...it's durable...it retains its edge...and it'll be in my pocket for quite some time. Can't think of any reasons why I'd be using the saw blade anytime soon (which is also ridiculously sharp) but heck, it's there if I need it! :D
Bottom line...just wanted to give a good review concerning vintage Eye Brand blades...very satisfied (as usual with German Eyes) with its quality and performance!
Perry
Perry

When the knife your grandfather/father carried or put up is handed down to you...treasure it...open it up from time to time...and by all means, keep it!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

prairiedog, have you tried out the saw blade ?
One of my main EDC knives is an Eye Brand 99DS, a 4 5/8" Stag Sod Buster-like knife with a saw blade secondary. There are times when a saw blade will cut through something with less effort than would be needed if a blade was employed; e.g. an old dried branch. It can also serve in a pinch with touch up carpentry jobs.
However a saw blade is only useful if it cuts well without binding. The Schlieper saw blade is an excellent cutter. SAK & Schrade USA (97OT) are the only other brands that i have found to have good cutting saw blades. Others i have tried tended to bind rather than cut.
Your knife is great for an EDC. The only improvement would be if this came as a 3 blade knife, with an awl at the other end as the 3rd blade. Then you could slice, saw & poke.
kj
prairiedog

Post by prairiedog »

KJ...I've grown to like the saw blade...it's not a blade I use often...but it comes in handy every now and then. This knife is one of my all time favorite edc's! ::tu::
Perry

Return to “European-made knives”