A LB8 to ponder

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
gwelker62

A LB8 to ponder

Post by gwelker62 »

What is this really? First thought it's a first year production LB8 Grizzy with the LB7 blade. But it has no serial# like the much later production UHs.

Second thought was someone put a LB7 blade on a later production LB8 trying to mimic a first year production LB8... but then noticed the 4 pins like the early production LB7???

OK... I'm confused... ::shrug:: ::uc::
Attachments
LB8 w LB7 blade 4pin no s#.jpg
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: A LB8 to ponder

Post by Chase »

Here is a thought!

Is was an LB-8 that had been returned for repair, someone used it as a pry bar, not that this happens....and broke off their blade. Schrade probably had them send it back and repaired it for free and just stuck an LB7 blade in it because that is what the repair guy had handy.

Just a guess because we will never truly know the answer...LOL

Tom
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Tom's theory is as good as any and most likely correct.
Occam's razor.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

That would be a good explanation if this is a late production LB8, but... this one has 4 pins w/ the rocker pin placement like early production LB8s that have a serial#.
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

I've done some interwebs searching, and the only mention of a 4 pin LB8 is over at BFs. The member says the earliest known LB8 was in a 1978 Dixie Edition gift set. Which in itself is odd since the Schrade catalogs don't show a LB8 until 1981.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... ur-pin-LB8

If the one I have in the OP is a Dixie edition, it should have a serial# and etching?
Attachments
Dixie LB8.jpg
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

This is just a photo from my files and I don't own this knife or know anything about it. It's just a pretty picture that may or may not help you. Notice the tang stamp and replacement policy paper. LB7.
Attachments
LB8 Papa Bear 4 Pin.jpg
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

Yeah, from what I've read across on the interwebs the earliest run of LB8s not only came with a LB7 blade, it came with LB7 paperwork too. This one a AAPK seller had for sale was the same way. Notice it was a 3 pin version though.

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/cat ... search=LB8

I guess the most puzzling thing to me about the knife I have pictured in the OP, is the fact it doesn't have a serial#. If it had that, there would be no doubt in my mind it's an example of the earliest run of LB8s. The feebay seller of it told me there is a buyer in Australia who was hounding him to ship it there, and cost of shipping was of little consequence to him. Wonder if it was our AAPK resident Schrade collector from down under?
Attachments
1488243746_51_1649_1.jpg
ea42

Post by ea42 »

It may have been a second that was was rejected for some cosmetic reason and sold at the factory store. Those knives weren't numbered for obvious reasons. A lot of good knives went that route, much more economical than taking a knife apart, re-finishing and re-assembling, and with the specter of a mangled part hanging over you with each step.
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

Good looking knives, here's one that has the display box and came with the model 144 sheath knife both ser. TN 554.
20170326_165627.jpg
20170326_165543.jpg
Hope y'all like it , I like it

Monte

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”