Help please - what have I done?

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Canvsbk

Help please - what have I done?

Post by Canvsbk »

Picked this one up last week. No box. Nice knife but other than its a Trapper with some kind of wood scales and its stainless I'm not sure what I've got here. Any help is greatly appreciated. You guys are awesome.
image.jpeg
Attachments
image.jpeg
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Help please - what have I done?

Post by Dinadan »

I do not know anything about your knife, but I am very happy to see that this thread has a more positive thrust than I feared when I read the subject title! Nice knife!
Mel
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

I have a knife with the same blades.
Ducks Unlimited Edition 2002.

Grant
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Wood it may be, but it sure looks like bone from here (but I am quite aways away).
FatCity67

Post by FatCity67 »

Same blade configuration as the red bone trapper 02/03 duck stamp knife.

Maybe one of the post bankruptcy announcement knives.
"Maybe were all happy"
Canvsbk

Post by Canvsbk »

I certainly could be wrong on the wood - but to my untrained eyes and old feeble mind it sure looks that way. Doesn't mean I know what I'm looking for.
The lack of a shield kinda bugs me but it seems to be a pretty nice knife. I'll look at some pics of the DU stuff.
Thanks to all that replied. I need all the help I can get.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

You have a very fine knife, made by Schrade in Ellenville N.Y.
I think it is one of the Ducks Unlimited knives that did not get the blade etch or shield. In every run of knives with a blade etch there are some knives that did not get etched, so there is no need to say this is an End of Days assembly of parts.
The handles are bone and the blades are stainless steel. The scalloped edge on the spey blade is unusual for Schrade so makes this knife 'special' to a Schrade collector.
100% Great Score.
kj
Canvsbk

Post by Canvsbk »

Yes - after looking hard at pics of some of the DU knives - it's the exact same knife minus the etching and shield.
I like it!
FatCity67

Post by FatCity67 »

kootenay joe wrote:You have a very fine knife, made by Schrade in Ellenville N.Y.
I think it is one of the Ducks Unlimited knives that did not get the blade etch or shield. In every run of knives with a blade etch there are some knives that did not get etched, so there is no need to say this is an End of Days assembly of parts.
The handles are bone and the blades are stainless steel. The scalloped edge on the spey blade is unusual for Schrade so makes this knife 'special' to a Schrade collector.
100% Great Score.
kj
"End of Days". Dang it I was racking my brain for that phrase when I posted. Seems like the closer I get to 50, ::dang:: ::dang::

-Phil
"Maybe were all happy"
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

I would concur this is an End Of Days knife. Although I was recently fooled by a 8OT-RB I thought was an EOD. :oops:
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: "I would concur this is an End Of Days knife"

You are not concurring. My post and those following say NOT EOD knife but one from a DU run in 2002.
kj
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

Forgive my reading comprehension skills, it has faded along with my eyesight in my old age. :oops:

However, I still speculate this is a EOD knife. Not having a shield makes it incomplete of a DU ltd edition. Also, most of the one's I've seen for have threaded bolsters. As in this example...
Attachments
DU ltd 2002-03.jpg
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

After a little more research, a 2002 DU Ltd appears to be serialized. The OP's knife is missing the etching, shield, threaded bolster, and serial#. All these missing attributes of an official release Schrade indicates EOD.

Of course I'm not arguing this to be fact... just pointing out and examining the evidence.
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

Canvsbk, I wish I made mistakes like that. I think its a great knife. The fact that there aren't many like it makes it better IMO

Monte
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

FatCity67 wrote:"End of Days". Dang it I was racking my brain for that phrase when I posted. Seems like the closer I get to 50, ::dang:: ::dang::
-Phil
EOD = End of Days.

EDC= Every Day Carry.

LOL= Lunging Off the Ladder.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I think it is time for me to 'back track'.
Lacking the etch & the shield does not trouble me as i have seen examples like this from other SFO's involving an etch. Maybe part of the setting up procedure, to run a few to make sure everything working as it should ? Although i don't know if this is how it worked.
But having a different bolster from the 2002 DU knife, that is harder to account for.
Best would be to hear from someone who worked at Schrade as they likely could tell it's most probable origin.
Whatever the origin, it is a good looking knife that would be a pleasure to collect or to use.
kj
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

kootenay joe wrote: Whatever the origin, it is a good looking knife that would be a pleasure to collect or to use.
kj
That, we can most certainly agree on. I'll add em to my collection anytime I can find em at the right price.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

EOD = explosive ordinance disposal - BE CAREFUL WITH THOSE UXOs and call EOD! OH

Ps I wonder if Imperial-Schrade had a contract to build a certain number of DU knives in a given year (2002 in this case) and the overruns or extra knives could have been sold off without the engraving, etching, or shield? OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Very good Cal ::tu:: I almost LOL hanging Christmas lights this past Christmas :shock: Lloyd
Lloyd

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”