8963 Schrade

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

8963 Schrade

Post by gsmith7158 »

Ok you Schrade guys ,go get it. It's calling your name. :D

http://m.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SCHRADE-C ... 0408.m2460
Attachments
$_3.JPG
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
tongueriver

Re: 8963 Schrade

Post by tongueriver »

Five years ago he banned me from his auctions with no explanation. Repeated inquiries resulted in zero replies. Not a clue as to that deal. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I don't think I would be bidding on this one past $150 anyway. Does anyone besides me wonder how tough it is to make ink marks on a blade? I don't think this seller does that, but I think that it happens occasionally.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

It's definitely mint but that price is absurd. I wouldn't pay that much if I made a thousand bucks a day.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

8963 is the pattern number: Cat. E pg 78, bottom left (not top right).
I have quite a few sample knives with numbers inked on and now faded some. these ones are fresh looking. Also these sample numbers usually are NOT the catalog number. I think some other system was used for the markings on sample knives.
$600 opening bid is a bit of a fishing trip. He's setting it up to go for $400 and winner will be thrilled he got a 'deal'.
I do believe the top Schrade Cut Co examples are close to the $400 price and rising.
kj
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

He has some amazing stuff. Looks like he just sold a schrade salesmen sample in the same price range. Don't know how anyone can tell if the ink is ligit. Indelible ink is what they used. I've been told that Albert Bear had special ink with a red hue to it. I have seen an example. Sometimes the numbers and letters seem to make sense other times not. Salesmen were given there own number. Mix that in with the pattern and the year and once and a while it makes sense. Seems like it was an ever evolving crap shoot to me. Then again I have not really tried to dig into it. Probably because of what we see right here. Above my pay grade. I did see a knife that is very hard to find and is going for 26 bucks currently. 142285183003 it is in better shape then mine. These don't pop up often
Jay
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

JamesC, what is your take on the "Blood Letting Bleeder Knife" ? for Vampires or veterinarians ?

That seller has listed suspect knives in the past. As far as i can tell this BLB knife is good to go, Bleed On !
kj
KnifeSlinger#81

What do you all think a reasonable, fair to seller and buyer price would be for this knife? I'm thinking $300 or so top dollar, but I don't really know hence why I'm asking. No doubt about it, absolutely dead mint, really a beautiful example.
-Paul T.

JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

kJ its a budding knife. Not sure what he's thinking. Maybe he can cut some sheep fries with it lol. As far as the price I would not let it go for under $400. If I was independently wealthy id buy every schrade that looked like that in my path.
KnifeSlinger#81

JAMESC41001 wrote:If I was independently wealthy id buy every schrade that looked like that in my path.
I wish there was a way!
-Paul T.

gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I see that this one sold. Anybody here get it?
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: "kJ its a budding knife"
Yes i know that. Weird that a knife seller would try to pass it off as for "blood letting". I have 2 or 3 of these and i thought value was more like $75-$90, not $400 !
kj
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Sorry joe. I should have been more clear. I meant to answer knife slinger when he asked about the price of the knife being auctioned. $75 is fair for the budding knife and I think thats around what it went for. I'm not sure but I believe that is an early example of that handle material. That is only the third or fourth knife I've seen in that pattern with those handles. Maybe not rare but possibly not made in very large numbers. The same knife minus the budding feature seems to show up a lot. There have been some really outstanding schrades surfacing lately but the prices are very high. Seems like maybe a private collection or two has been sold recently. I've seen at least six or seven knives lately that are A+ examples some are difficult to find in any condition. Maybe it's just me or just a coincidence.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

JamesC, thank you clearing this up. I very much appreciate the information you post.
I think "Schrade" is becoming one of the most collectible of all USA brands displacing Remington & Winchester and others. About 10 years ago top Schrade examples would sell for less than top examples of a number of other USA brands. Recently top examples of Schrade are selling for prices higher than most other USA brands except of course for Case.
I think most of the credit for this increase in Schrade popularity should go to the Schrade sub forum on BladeForums. There are a few very dedicated members there who have unearthed a great deal of Schrade history and also posted information on every pattern.
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I have lots of blood-letting bleeder knives, most of them in the kitchen. I have no idea why this image flipped itself over; it looked perfectly content right-side up in my files.
budding001.jpg
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Your making me dizzy with that pic. I see it says celluloid handles. I was under the impression they used Bakelite or fibestos ( if I'm saying that right) guess I am mistaken about that. Seems to be some pretty good info being passed around here an aapk.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”