Is this knife an import?

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Canvsbk

Is this knife an import?

Post by Canvsbk »

Any help appreciated - is this a China knife?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (25.27 KiB) Viewed 3152 times
KnifeSlinger#81

Re: Is this knife an import?

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Nope, says USA right on the tang. The import ones have a lighter washed out color in the handles. With box and paperwork too, that's a good 'un.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
Canvsbk

Post by Canvsbk »

Thanks - the box had me worried.
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Yes! As Paul says, it's a nice 194OT, made in the USA, Schrade Old Timer.

I found this Schrade box picture here and it may help you in the future.
Attachments
USA%20Schrade%20Boxes.jpg
USA%20Schrade%20Boxes.jpg (32.31 KiB) Viewed 3122 times
Dave - the new guy. :lol:
NRA Life/Endowment
Canvsbk

Post by Canvsbk »

So nice of you to post that. I need all the help I can get ......
Thanks again.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Welcome to AAPK. Questions are always appreciated and the answers help others as well as the person asking the question.
You do have to be very careful when buying a "Schrade". There are some Schrade & Schrade-Walden branded knives that were made in USA but after Schrade closed in 2004. These knives and packaging are very close copies of original Schrade USA.
kj
truck

Post by truck »

CheckSix wrote:I found this Schrade box picture here and it may help you in the future.
THANK YOU!!! I've been looking for a reference to Schrade boxes, and that is exactly what I wanted. Beautiful!!
I may not change the world but I'm gonna leave a scar.
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

truck wrote:
CheckSix wrote:I found this Schrade box picture here and it may help you in the future.
THANK YOU!!! I've been looking for a reference to Schrade boxes, and that is exactly what I wanted. Beautiful!!
Your welcome! Thank orvet (Dale)! He provided these way earlier on the site.

Here's another one...
Attachments
More%20Schrade%20Boxes.jpg
More%20Schrade%20Boxes.jpg (29.97 KiB) Viewed 3074 times
Dave - the new guy. :lol:
NRA Life/Endowment
Canvsbk

Post by Canvsbk »

Not sure how I caught this Schrade bug but I've got it bad. You guys are a great help. Thanks.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Canvsbk wrote:Not sure how I caught this Schrade bug but I've got it bad. You guys are a great help. Thanks.
I would suspect you caught the schrade bug cause they are the best :D Welcome to the forum.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

I don't think I'd want to judge any Schrade I bought off Ebay by what box it came in...or for that matter, believe it's a Schrade knife just because the box says so.
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

I used to have 2 of these 194OT knives with SC503 Scrimshaw stainless blades on them. One in the box from a hardware store, in 2006. The other off of ebay with no box. I think of them as End of Days knives when Schrade was using up parts and selling everything they could right before the end. Oh, and I didn't pay that price. At the time I was asking about Schrade knives in all the little hardware stores to find leftover knives. This little mom and pop store is in a very small town in the Sierra mountains. What they had left was in a box on a shelf behind the counter. We negotiated a lower 'closeout' price. Wish I still had them.
Attachments
194OT EOD.JPG
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

This knife was just on the bay advertised as a ...Schrade + USA LTD. Genuine Bone Wild Ducks Scrimshawed Barlow Knife. I sent an Email asking what the tang stamp was but they closed the auction and took an offer. I don't know what it was but it sure didn't come in that box.
SCHRADE BARLOW.jpg
SCHRADE BRLOW-2.jpg
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”