Question about Schrade 834UH factory edge

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
HommerSimpson

Question about Schrade 834UH factory edge

Post by HommerSimpson »

Did or Do ? they sell Schrade Knives with no final edge put on them? that last angle at the edge,part you sharpen .. I have one is why I am asking..
Thanks
Greg
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Question about Schrade 834UH factory edge

Post by gsmith7158 »

Don't know about Schrade but I have seen several Cases that left the factory without an edge. Unintended I would assume.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Aside from an occasional knife that slipped by QC without being sharpened, I’ve never heard of Schrade selling knives without a final edge on them.

I have no doubt that there were many unsharpened knives on the production line when Schrade closed in 2004. Those were sold in the auction along with everything else finished and unfinished. I imagine there were hundreds perhaps even a few thousand knives on the production line that were nearly finished and probably lacked little more than the final sharpening.

As someone who has purchased knives from both the Schrade and Camillus factories I have seen a lot of knives in various states of incompletion. I suspect the knife you got came from the auction and had not yet been sharpened when the plant closed. If it was a knife purchased many years before the closing of the factory, then I think it was just one missed by QC.

BTW.... ::welcome:: to AAPK!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
HommerSimpson

Post by HommerSimpson »

here are some pictures..thanks for the response..I looked and could not find any at all.. why I joined forum.. I was thinking of ebaying it for a few bucks then saw it was never sharpened.. figured it has to be worth a few bucks more..
Attachments
knife.jpg
knife1.jpg
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

I'm no authority on the subject, but that looks like a factory unfinished knife to me. Nothing is polished and the blades have a very coarse, as ground look. Then there's no factory edge and the tips are not pointed, which is one of the last manufacturing steps. Not sure why the handles are completely black, maybe they needed to be cleaned to reveal the color.

Interesting piece of schrade history if you ask me.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Added value for one that hasn't been sharpened has been discussed here before and the answer was maybe. Maybe not. An end of days Schrade is not currently higher than others. Time will tell.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I see what you mean about that tip, Paul.
Attachments
knife1.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote: Not sure why the handles are completely black, maybe they needed to be cleaned to reveal the color.

The handles are black because they have not been hafted to fit the bolsters. The hafting process removes some of the handle material next to the bolsters and smooth them out where the two meet. That knife has not been hafted so the handle has not been ground down where it meets the bolsters and at the edges.

Also the blades were not sharpened and polished.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
HommerSimpson

Post by HommerSimpson »

Thanks for all the reply's.. glad I joined and asked... I am pretty good at searching for value of something..If i can find something like it.. but no luck on this knife.. I ebay things a few times a year when in need of money.. if something is worth 5 bucks.. its really not worth the hassle to even list.. but 10 bucks.. yea its worth it to list lol..
If I do ebay it.. and most likely will in a week or so.. I will let everyone know what it sold for.. I wont post link to it.. just let ya know if how it went..
Thanks a bunch.. I have to dig up a few more knives i have had forever and look around on forum..
Greg
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Hey Greg, if you'd prefer to go another route and have me finish that one to look pretty much like new, drop me a PM. Won't polish the blades cause that's not how they did them, but you will get a nice satin finish, and swedges even :D

Eric
HommerSimpson

Post by HommerSimpson »

ea42 wrote:Hey Greg, if you'd prefer to go another route and have me finish that one to look pretty much like new, drop me a PM. Won't polish the blades cause that's not how they did them, but you will get a nice satin finish, and swedges even :D

Eric
LOL thanks Eric.. Yes it would be a very nice knife to keep.. but.. na.. I am sure there is some collector out there that would like it pretty much like it is..
thanks tho

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”