Any opinions on the Schrade Old Timer 162OT?

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Captain O

Any opinions on the Schrade Old Timer 162OT?

Post by Captain O »

I have been looking at one of these for a knife that I could strap to my calf I know that the 7Cr17Mov is tough, but doesn't match 440B for edge retention.
Could I get the Schrade aficionado crowd's opinion of this little "boot knife"? I like the profile and blade length but would like some outside input concerning this $21.00 "wonder".
tongueriver

Re: Any opinions on the Schrade Old Timer 162OT?

Post by tongueriver »

I think this might be a Chinese knife and you might do better asking in the "general knife discussion" sub-forum.
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

NOT a Schrade USA Knife

Taylor Made....Off shore....I have no knowledge or opinion, sorry!

Tom
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

That is definitely a Chinese made knife and not a USA made Schrade.
Ironically, it is based on a design that was in the Schrade Factory when it closed. I will have to do some checking when I get back to my PC, but I think I completed a 162 blank LT sent me from the factory.
I do know that LT has mentioned that double edged design before.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I was mistaken about finishing a 162 for LT. :oops: getting old is not for sissies ::facepalm::
The double edge knife I completed for him was a prototype of a nonmagnetic military dive knife I assembled from the blank and the handle. I had to make an aluminum guard and an aluminum pommel to match the pictures of the original prototype.

Tom, next time you visit LT, you might ask him about the nonmagnetic prototype I finished for him.

I do remember LT discussing the 162OT. Again that is something you would need to ask him about because it was several years ago. I think it he posted it on B/F. I haven’t had a paid membership there in years and as I recall their search function was pretty sketchy if you had a paid membership and nearly impossible without one.

One of you fellows who know B/F better than I do and can use the search function might look up the 162 in the Schrade forum. I think the nonmagnetic prototype is also posted in there but I cannot be positive about that. I would love to know what you find there.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Captain O

Post by Captain O »

Thanks, gentlemen. I have been considering carrying something of this nature secreted on my body (such as it is) :roll: in the city. Either strapped to my leg or in a shoulder-type sheath, it makes for a quiet self-defense option. If you plant one of these in a BG's ribs, he's liable to reconsider his aggressive tendencies. :wink:
FatCity67

Post by FatCity67 »

orvet wrote:I was mistaken about finishing a 162 for LT. :oops: getting old is not for sissies ::facepalm::
The double edge knife I completed for him was a prototype of a nonmagnetic military dive knife I assembled from the blank and the handle. I had to make an aluminum guard and an aluminum pommel to match the pictures of the original prototype.

Tom, next time you visit LT, you might ask him about the nonmagnetic prototype I finished for him.

I do remember LT discussing the 162OT. Again that is something you would need to ask him about because it was several years ago. I think it he posted it on B/F. I haven’t had a paid membership there in years and as I recall their search function was pretty sketchy if you had a paid membership and nearly impossible without one.

One of you fellows who know B/F better than I do and can use the search function might look up the 162 in the Schrade forum. I think the nonmagnetic prototype is also posted in there but I cannot be positive about that. I would love to know what you find there.
As you requested. As an FYI LT erased almost all his pics off BF many years ago and not sure about any posts.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... de-is-this

There is only a quick passing mention of the 162OT proto in another thread so I didn't include it.
"Maybe were all happy"
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Captain O wrote:Thanks, gentlemen. I have been considering carrying something of this nature secreted on my body (such as it is) :roll: in the city. Either strapped to my leg or in a shoulder-type sheath, it makes for a quiet self-defense option. If you plant one of these in a BG's ribs, he's liable to reconsider his aggressive tendencies. :wink:
You might ask for opinions and recommendations for a boot knife or dirk in subforum for general knife questions. You may get some useful information there.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

FatCity67 wrote: As an FYI LT erased almost all his pics off BF many years ago and not sure about any posts.

There is only a quick passing mention of the 162OT proto in another thread so I didn't include it.
Actually, LT did not erase the pictures that he posted, what you are seeing is the result of using photo hosting sites. I was very active on B/F when this was posted in 2006. At that time, but I do not believe B/F hosted their own photos even for Gold members. In 2006 nonpaying members of B/F were required to use an off-site photo hosting service to post a picture on B/F. This helps them save bandwidth and data by not having to host their members photos on their site. The members pay a photo hosting service, or use a free photo hosting service which links the photo to B/F so members perusing the forums can see the photos other members have posted. As I recall I used Photobucket which was a free site.
The enormous disadvantage to this system is that as soon as a B/F member stops using their photo hosting service, especially if it’s a paid service, their pictures go away. I used Photobucket which didn’t charge me anything, but as soon as I stopped using Photobucket for their predetermined time limit, they canceled my account which removed all the links that I had posted in any forum, including AAPK.

You will notice that many of the topics on B/F that are 10 years old are missing the pictures, unless the posting number is now a paid member and has continued to pay for all these years. A few years after this was posted (in 2006) I had a paid membership to B/F and they hosted my pictures for me on their site at no additional fee; that was part of the $50 I paid for my annual gold membership. When I decided I really didn’t use B/F enough to make it worth my while to pay $50 a year for my gold membership I let my membership lapse. I noticed afterwards that the pictures I had posted when I had the paid membership also disappeared.

On AAPK we host your photos on our servers so that they do not disappear. That’s why it is very difficult, hopefully impossible, for anyone to post a picture here using a photo hosting service. We want the pictures that our members post to be available years from now when future members read your posts. We don’t want them to disappear because you have dropped your photo hosting account, or because you no longer post on AAPK. Bryan has a vision for AAPK that it is, in part, a resource for knife collectors to research about the knives they collect.

In 2006 a lot of AAPK members used photo hosting services, simply because they were used to doing that on most all knife forums. If that topic had been posted on AAPK with our current policies, LT would’ve uploaded his pictures to AAPK servers and they would still be in that topic some 10+ years later.

This is a portion of what LT posted on B/F, 5/15/06. He was talking in reference to another persons post about the Baer brothers and their insistence that they produced cutlery for household, sporting and workmen use, not weapons.

Posted by LT 5/15/06
“The story is that these were made by Schrade but never produced even though they had 100,000 on order just from the protos. As I and others have written before, Schrade felt that there image was to make tools not weapons . What about all those bayonettes ect ????? I don't know, go figure. Anyway the managment in there wisdom decided not to produce them ( to violent like autos I guess ). Either one probably would have saved the company. This one I do not believe was the one from the collection which was shown to me by the president of Shrade when he showed me the knife, in the collection on the wall after he told me the story. Knowing the players in this deal I believe this one was scoffed by an employee.”

This previous paragraph relates how he knew of the existence of this prototype from viewing the Schrade factory collection.
He later on tells about how he saw the prototype knife in an auction on eBay and was able to contact the buyer and purchase the knife from the eBay buyer for a nice profit to the fellow who had purchased it on eBay. In those days you could contact another eBay buyer and do that sort of after-the-fact transaction. Now of course you can’t contact another eBay member buyer to buyer through eBay. This is before the buyer’s ID was scrambled.

LT mentioned that he sent a picture of the knife to Larry Vickery at collectors-of-Schrade-R-us. I have to email Larry anyway so I’ll see if he still has the pictures. It’s not I will give LT a call and see if he will post the picture or send the picture to me to post.

It’s a nice-looking knife, as you can see from this Chinese version.
I got this picture off of eBay, but you can see what the knife in general looks like.
162OT - china.jpg
Hopefully LT will have discovered more information about this prototype and will be willing to join this topic and share with us his wealth of Schrade information, as well as part of his collection!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

162OT a.png
162OT b.png
162OT b.png (205.38 KiB) Viewed 3467 times
162OT c.png
162OT d.png
162OT e.png

Here are the pictures of the 162OT prototype that LT has in his collection. These are the pictures LT took and sent to Larry Vickery for the Collectors – of – Schrade website. Larry thought these were posted in the collector’s corner but apparently they had been overlooked.
These are the same pictures that were posted on Blade Forums in the 2006 topic “What Schrade Is This.”

Now you know a little bit more about the Schrade prototype. This is also one of the things that drives Schrade collectors a little bit crazy, a lot of things weren’t documented and Schrade tended to make several copies of anything they made. So if one knife was made there is most likely a few more. Which makes it very difficult for the Schrade collector when he sees an item that purports to be a genuine one Schrade prototype: maybe it is and maybe it isn’t and unless you can find a very knowledgeable Schrade collector it can be very difficult to authenticate a prototype.

Comparing the pictures of the prototype to the pictures of the knife produced by Taylor Brands LLC in China, I think the prototype looks much better. IMHO, the Chinese factory really struck out when it came to matching the colors of the Old Timer Delrin, it just doesn't look right to me.

I hope you enjoy the pictures. I wish the format was larger, but it is what it is and I can't change it. ::shrug::
Maybe JerryD can use his mad skills and improve the pictures?
Dale
AAPK Administrator

FatCity67

Post by FatCity67 »

What great looking knife. As LT pointed out in his post, too bad those never made it to production to fill orders.

It also appears that the Prototype handle has more of a taper than the boxy looking Taylor model. Could just be the angle though of the pictures.

-Phil
"Maybe were all happy"
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

A friend saw me "mooning" over a 162OT and now I have one. The steel is better than the "I only want a USA-manufactured knife" crowd would have you believe. It holds a good edge. (No it isn't 8CR13Mov nor is it AUS-8, or 9Cr13Mov steel). This knife can be "touched up" quickly, and the price is right.

It DOES conceal nicely, and like underarm deodorant, it avoids personal embarrassment and "takes the worry out of being close".

I like it. ::tu::
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

:D This is my 1620 Schrade I picked up fron a friend for $15. Seems like a fairly solid knife. ftd
China 1620 Schrade
China 1620 Schrade
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”