Odd mark under tang stamp

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
gwelker62

Odd mark under tang stamp

Post by gwelker62 »

I've noticed odd markings under the tang stamp on some Schrade knives. They could be just some anomalies from the manufacturing process, but the last couple I came across looked to resemble something recognizable.

This one on a UH looks like it could be the blacksmith & anvil logo.
UH wierd tang stamp.jpg
This one looks like a cross bones or canons.
Heritage tang stamp wierd.jpg
Is this intentional or factory blems?
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Odd mark under tang stamp

Post by stockman »

Looks like a "X" that would be on a second, that was stamped over.

Harold
ea42

Post by ea42 »

They stamped an X into the tang of the factory seconds, many times two of them. The top one might be one as well that just didn't strike correctly, or it might have been some kind of inclusion or air pocket in the steel but I'd think that QC would have caught that when stamping the tang or on the finished product.

Eric
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

I thought they just ground the tang stamp off on the factory seconds? I've seen a bunch like that, but the above example is the first I've seen with a X.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

They stamped X's and they also dremelled x's into them as well as grinding the stamp off, depends on what time frame they came from. I've got one of the stamps, I think it has the double X. The problem with stamping was that you had to do it in the press and hold the knife just right, but it was cleaner than grinding. Your X was likely ground judging by how rough it is. The tang stamp shows through because they go a lot deeper than the grinding, which is shallower than it appears.

Eric
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

gwelker62 wrote:I thought they just ground the tang stamp off on the factory seconds? I've seen a bunch like that, but the above example is the first I've seen with a X.
They did both, not sure of the rhyme or reason for the difference. I have a 12ot with two small x marks IIRC.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have seen Schrades with "00" stamped into the tang and was told that it indicates a 'second'. Eric does not mention "00" as a marking for secondary so i hope he will comment on this.
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Here is a thread that may be of interest:
http://iknifecollector.com/group/stockm ... hrade-8801
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

Interesting.... would make sense the x or xx is to designate it as a parts knife from the end of a production model. Wonder if that was just for the Heritage models or others too. The end of days knives didn't have any identifying marks. You can only spot them from their incompleteness or mismatch of parts.

Think that UH pictured is as suggested above, and is just an inclusion.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”