Tough Tool ST1

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
gwelker62

Tough Tool ST1

Post by gwelker62 »

Did a little search, and don't see a lot of conversation in the threads about the ST1 and its variants. What info do you Schrade experts have to share about this tool? Anything interesting about out it, or is its history a bit boring?

I got one in this gift set about 9 years ago. It's the only ST1 gift set I've ever seen with the binoculars. Sure there are many more out there, just never seen one for sale after I got mine.
Attachments
IMAG0386.jpg
IMAG0389.jpg
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Tough Tool ST1

Post by orvet »

Don't have much info on it, but I have a couple and love them!
I also have a Buck of very similar design.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

Found this page that gives some pretty decent info on the tool. I can determine that mine is a series #2 version of the ST1.

http://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.ph ... Tough+Tool

Looks like the later versions had a 1 piece jaws as the older ones had 3 piece. The series #3 has faux rivets?? ::td::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thanks to Russell (OldGoat) I have a (I think) Series 3. It rides in the console of my vehicle, ready to take on any task.
Attachments
Schrade Multi-Tool.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

jerryd6818 wrote:Thanks to Russell (OldGoat) I have a (I think) Series 3. It rides in the console of my vehicle, ready to take on any task.
If it has one piece jaws with faux rivets, that would make it a 3 series.

I carried mine in the center console of my truck for several years after I got it. Surprisingly, never had to use it and it's still like new. It's been put back in the gift case for now and and a Victorinox multi tool is being used in its place.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

There ya go. 3rd series confirmed.
Attachments
0112171055-1.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
FatCity67

Post by FatCity67 »

Wow thanks for the link.

Also I never knew that there was SLIP jaw version: http://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.ph ... Tough+Tool.

Damn and they BADGED a Craftsman model. Great more money I'll,have to spend. :mrgreen:

Also I didn't see anything about the Crecesnt collaboration multi tools.

And there are versions to collect as well? ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm::

-Phil
gwelker62 wrote:Found this page that gives some pretty decent info on the tool. I can determine that mine is a series #2 version of the ST1.

http://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.ph ... Tough+Tool

Looks like the later versions had a 1 piece jaws as the older ones had 3 piece. The series #3 has faux rivets?? ::td::
"Maybe were all happy"
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

FatCity67 wrote:Wow thanks for the link.

Also I never knew that there was SLIP jaw version: http://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.ph ... Tough+Tool.

Damn and they BADGED a Craftsman model. Great more money I'll,have to spend. :mrgreen:

Also I didn't see anything about the Crecesnt collaboration multi tools.

And there are versions to collect as well? ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm::

-Phil
Well, there is the ST2, 5, and 6 models for ya to collect. ::nod::
Attachments
Schrade ST.png
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

And then there is a Navitool, which is a lil bit different concept on the multitool idea.
Attachments
Navitool.png
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here are 3 Schrade U.S.A. ST1 Multitool. One is marked "Pat. Pending", one has 5 US Patents listed, and one has 7 US Patents listed.
Usually "Pat. Pending" would be the first issue but this one has the one piece jaw which is said to be version 3. The one with 7 patents listed also has a one piece jaw. Only the 5 patent one has both jaws as two piece.
The tools in the handles are the same in all 3.
Any comments on the order in which these were made ?
There are supposedly 4 'series' of the ST1. Is any one considered to be better than the others ?
thanks, kj
Attachments
Picture 008.jpg
Picture 009.jpg

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”