More elusive 8OT's

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
tongueriver

Re: More elusive 8OT's

Post by tongueriver »

Here is a Herman in jigged bone.
HW jigged bone 881 mark.jpg
881 jigged bone pile.jpg
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Schradenut wrote:The Schrade 8ot is a particularly special one to me. The one in the 85' red bone set is a beauty as is the original bone 8ot. This one is is probably the prettiest one and is a 'special' in my collection. Customised my Herman Williams of course.
Tony.
Truly incredible.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

That is one of the prettiest of Herman's knives I have seen!
I bet he has at least 25 hours of labor in that knife! ::oh_my::
All that file work on the liners and the back springs, inside and out!
That is tedious and time consuming work, makes my fingers cramp looking at it!

That is seriously one of the finest customize knives I’ve ever seen!
The engine turning on the blades takes it over the top! ::not_worthy::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

orvet wrote:That is one of the prettiest of Herman's knives I have seen!

I'm convinced one doesn't do this kind of work for the money, rather for the love of the craft.
gmichael

Post by gmichael »

Schradenut..your 8OT is stunning to say the least, wow! I love the Old Timer 8OTs...they are my favorite by far. I received this one today from Mr. Williams after sending off for new scales.

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

gwelker62 wrote:
orvet wrote:That is one of the prettiest of Herman's knives I have seen!

I'm convinced one doesn't do this kind of work for the money, rather for the love of the craft.
Absolutely!! I don't do it for the money, the money just helps buy another knife to repair or customize and if I am fortunate I will have enough left to buy some handle material and some consumables, (sandpaper, sanding belts, band saw blades, glue and pin stock).
I tell folks who ask, it is a hobby that helps to partially fund itself.

Seeing what Herman gets for one of his knives I am shocked at how little they bring on ebay! :shock:
He should be getting Yellow Horse prices for his work. Yellow horse buys knife parts and assembles them, Herman Glenn, MM and I buy knives, dissemble them (which is a risk for damage and more time), then we put them back together so they look like an improved version of the original knife.
Yellow Horse has a staff to assemble the parts and put on handles that he designs. They don't have to look like a better version of a certain factory knife, they just have to look pretty and shiny.

IMHO, it is much harder to meet and exceed someone's expectations of what an improved version of a 4" Schrade stockman (8OT) should look like, because you have to compete against how that person thinks the ideal 8OT should look. You are competing against a persons vision, an idea or a concept, not a reality.

We try to take a knife that is a #5 from the factory and make it a #10, however just like a perfect #10 in women; every guy has a different concept of what a #10 woman is. The same is true of knives, every man's perfect knife is different.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

orvet wrote: Seeing what Herman gets for one of his knives I am shocked at how little they bring on ebay! :shock:
I surmise HW isn't well known enough when it comes to who he really is and background. I bet to many buyers on feebay, HW is just another knife customizer in a sea of many.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Shortly after I started customizing knives someone said one of my pathetic attempts looked a little like something Herman Williams might do. I asked; "Who is Herman Williams?"
The person pointed me to a book (one of Jim Sargent's books I think) that had an article on him. Herman is the original knife customizer, he started in the 1970s, IIRC.
If any one person could be credited with having started knife customilzing as a hobby, I would think that person is Herman. I have great respect for his talent and craftsmanship, and I am told he is a really nice guy as well.

Since I found out who Herman Williams is I have watched and admired his work from afar, often getting ideas and inspiration from his work.
In my book Herman is the original knife customerizer! ::nod::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

That Herman Williams file worked knife is breath taking. There is so much going on there that I have to look hard to make sure I'm not missing anything. Beautiful!
Schradenut
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Schradenut »

They are most graceful words you mention there about Herman, Dale. I am really blessed to have rubbed shoulders with such a fine man (and now hold a considerable number of his masterpieces).
As indicated the amount of time spent producing that work of art must have been considerable.
I am a very happy recipient of such a fine knife, and Dale, a finer Gentleman you wouldn't find.
Tony.
Schradenut
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Schradenut »

gmichael
That is an incredible flawless 8ot you have there...pure beauty.
It looks like it was a pretty good knife before the Master touched it...well done.
Tony.
Schradenut
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Schradenut »

tongueriver

What a wonderful knife you have there. Herman really got that jigging machine singing. A good pick-up my friend.
Tony.
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Here's a couple SFO 8OT's with jig bone handle. The red one has a triple zero prototype serial #. I believe that this is the first Schrade I've seen that has an etched shield.
Attachments
8OT FARMALL with RED JIG BONE (1) .jpg
DUCKS UNLIMITED 8OTSTOCKMAN JIGGED GREEN BONE.jpg
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

I believe that Herman Williams is truly an "ARTIST" not just a knife customizer. I too follow his work closely and I absolutely love his work. If I only had a fraction of his talent, I know what I would be doing right now...I would be setting up my own shop and going at it strong....not for business, but for myself, friends and fellow enthusiasts!

Herman truly has a "GIFT"

Tom
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

dweb1897 wrote:Here's a couple SFO 8OT's with jig bone handle. The red one has a triple zero prototype serial #. I believe that this is the first Schrade I've seen that has an etched shield.
And the Search continues.
Keep Near the Cross.
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

dweb1897 wrote:Here's a couple SFO 8OT's with jig bone handle. The red one has a triple zero prototype serial #. I believe that this is the first Schrade I've seen that has an etched shield.
I didn't think of it until I took another look at that red bone knife, but it has the same red bone as this knife I have and it looks to have the same shield. Or in my case an engraving plate. Is that etched shield extra thick and protruding from the bone. The one on my knife is. It's just interesting to me to see those similarities since I haven't before.
Attachments
897UH H897 Red Bone (2).JPG
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Mustanger wrote:
I didn't think of it until I took another look at that red bone knife, but it has the same red bone as this knife I have and it looks to have the same shield. Or in my case an engraving plate. Is that etched shield extra thick and protruding from the bone. The one on my knife is. It's just interesting to me to see those similarities since I haven't before.
I got one with black scales and brass ends and the shield is brass also!.
Keep Near the Cross.
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Mustanger wrote:
Mustanger, The shield on mine sets just flush with the jigging. I sure like that one of yours, I've got a soft spot for the turkish clip.
This 823 just showed up in the mail. I think it will probably clean up pretty good.
SW 823 PROPWOOD.jpg
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

dweb1897 wrote:
Mustanger, The shield on mine sets just flush with the jigging. I sure like that one of yours, I've got a soft spot for the turkish clip.
This 823 just showed up in the mail. I think it will probably clean up pretty good.SW 823 PROPWOOD.jpg
I actually mis-remembered how that shield sets in the handle of my knife. I do that a lot these days. As you can see in the picture it gives the appearance of riding high because of the rounded edge. I felt silly after posting that. I guess your red stockman didn't sell? I was watching it and wanted to buy it but too many other priority knives came up for sale. I thought your stockman would be a nice companion for my slenderino. I almost bid on the 823 too. Too many nice knives and not enough money. I'm glad you got it. That is a great addition to your slenderino collection. That is the only one I remember seeing for sale. It might be a long, long time before I see another one since they were only cataloged from 1953 to 1958. I hope you post another picture of the 823 when you get done rubbing on it. I wondered how far I would go to clean up those blades if I did buy it. You do some nice work on blades. It looks like you may have started on it already since it looks better in your picture.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Thanks it is amazing how much knowledge we had here! ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

As a Farmall nut, that first one is a really neat piece. The term "White Demo" refers to the fact that many of the tractors IH used for demonstration purposes were painted white.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

The search continues ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
TonySal

Post by TonySal »

I have an 8OT, unfortunately post 2004.... ::doh::
But I like it and my 34OT too...
Maybe Ill pick up a US one someday.....
So many knives, too little time...
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

TonySal wrote:I have an 8OT, unfortunately post 2004.... ::doh::
But I like it and my 34OT too...
Maybe Ill pick up a US one someday.....
Search here a the stores and on the bay!.
Keep Near the Cross.
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

And the Search continues! ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”