8OT/881/4" stockman pattern lists

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
tongueriver

Re: 8OT/881/4" stockman pattern lists

Post by tongueriver »

Mustanger wrote:After posting the above 886UH I went back and noticed that I had already suggested that knife in my first post. Don't mean to be a pest. There are a lot of variations of the Schrade Cut. Co. 8814 knives, (as you have noted), each having it's own letter designations in the model number. I didn't have deep enough pockets for this one on ebay the other day but thought I would share the pictures of it here. As close as I was able to come to identifying it was a #SO8814NC which has "Opal Celluloid" scales instead of the yellow celluloid handle on this one. (1936 catalog) So I don't know the exact number for this 8814. The ringed 'oblique' bolsters and yellow are a real draw for the collector on this one. Did anyone here get it? I should have bid more..... ::doh::
I am glad I didn't see that one. I probably would have brought it into my Cutco fold. I didn't see it because I didn't look. For the first time in nine years I have backed off and tried to attend to some other important elements in my life. Cutco stockman and cattle knives are the core of my collection but I needed to re-evaluate my life. Hopefully by Winter I will be able to sell about a thousand knives that no longer fit and pick up that track again. When people joke about knife addictions we all nod our heads and smile, but sometimes the smile may not be appropriate.
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

Sounds like you two are on the same track as me. I've taken a pause in knife buying for a while until this month when I went on a small spree. That's why I didn't bid more to secure the 8814 (Y). One of those deals where I would have been somewhat remorseful if I spent a lot and won it or the condition I'm in now by not winning it and just gazing longingly at a knife I'd never seen before that one. ::facepalm::

I can't say whether or not the 886UH is shorter or not since I don't have one. Other priorities in my collecting have kept me from buying one. I have two of the 898UH because they fit into a category of my collecting and they were convenient, cheap purchases. I have never heard that they were shorter than 4" before. Maybe someone can help us out with that information. I'm not a huge celluloid fan either, but that celluloid is perfect and has stood the test of time. So I didn't have a problem with it. The coolness factor surrounding a yellow Schrade Cut. Co. stockman of that age with oblique bolsters made me lose all apprehension about celluloid. Congratulations on the 880, Darksev. I was out bid on a nice Schrade Walden 880 this weekend too while trying to be frugal. Guess I'll have to be content with collecting pictures of nice knives for a while..... :roll:

" When people joke about knife addictions we all nod our heads and smile, but sometimes the smile may not be appropriate."
Sometimes the guilt is more than I can bare and I have to reevaluate. This is one of those times for me. Just gotta stop browsing ebay when I get bored. ::uc:: I'm as addicted to finding those $100 knives for $20 as anything. Then I lose my focus in the process and I fall off the wagon again. ::dang::
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

K8OT Keen Kutter
Attachments
8OT K8OT Keen Kutter (2).jpg
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

175th Anniversary of the American Flag
Attachments
175th Flag Anniversary.jpg
175th Flag Anniversary (2).jpg
Darksev

Post by Darksev »

Mustanger wrote:175th Anniversary of the American Flag
I saw that one, and thought about adding it, but decided against it. It's the same frame, but a totally different blade configuration, so I figure it's no different than the Muskrat patterns built on the 4" frame.

It's a really nice looking knife though, I gotta admit the first time I saw it listed I was tempted to grab one for myself, but I'm trying to exercise restraint these days :)

That being said, I updated and reconfigured the master sheet again. Some of the groupings were getting a bit to big with all the knives in them, so I broke them down into individual sections.

The total count of variations now stands at 134 knives!
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Thanks it a great thread and we are learning more all the time. ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

For the list - Buck 301 1966-1971
Buck 301.JPG
- Jason
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

I was browsing through this thread since it got boosted and I noticed that I had mentioned this 89OT knife. I didn't have one or a picture of it at the time. Neither did I know how it came to be. Since that time I have acquired two of them. Then I got a two knife set that I believe solved the mystery of the green handled Schrade/Skoal variations. The shipping sleeve for the boxed set has SMK2SK stamped on it. I read that as Smoky Mountain Knife, 2 Skoal. That would make these Skoal variations a special order by Smoky Mtn. Knife Works. I count 5 different patterns and I have 4. I passed on the fixed blade a while back. I'm hoping there is a 36OT version out there with my name on it, but I don't know if it exists. The 89OT in the picture is tang stamped, Schrade+ USA LTD. My other one has the Skoal stamp. Just in case you want to add this SFO 89OT to the list.....
Attachments
wSmokey Mtn. Knife SFO Green.JPG
thawk

Post by thawk »

Mustanger:

The 36OT Skoal knife does exist.

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... -saddleman

It looks like it is available.
Hal
thawk

Post by thawk »

My bad it has been sold. ::dang::
Hal
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

Mustanger.
Here's one on Ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-green-S ... Sw3WxaNzIp

Grant
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. But I'm hoping for one with the Schrade shield and no blade etch like the others from the Smoky Mtn. collection. I've seen all the other Skoal knives done that way except for the 36OT. I'm kind of kicking myself for passing on this 154OT recently, but I'm mostly interested in the folders. Thanks again.
Attachments
154OT Green SMKW SFO.jpg
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

Another one for the list - Imperial 860DE
EE7593B0-FFE4-43C0-927C-798166E87878.jpeg
963C31B1-BE0E-4C25-B6BD-2817B069EB53.jpeg
AF046973-E354-4504-AEBD-90C7CB642034.jpeg
- Jason
Darksev

Post by Darksev »

Good finds, both of you!

I added the SMKW 89OT to the SFO section, and the Imperial to the Associated companies area.

That said, it looks like Google changed their docs format and the sheet no longer views correctly. Working to fix it now.

That imperial is hard to see, what's the handle material?
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I believe the Imperial is a shell handle.
Some where I have one like it with "forging marks" on the blade. Great steel in the blade!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

The Imperial is a shell handle painted black. Don't forget about the Buck 301 a few posts up -it should be on there too! ::tu::

I picked up this 8OT recently. Smooth woods handles and a LTD tang stamp. I'm pretty sure it's just an 100th anniversary knife that became an end of days knife but throwing it up here just in case anyone recognizes it as something different.
wood8ot.JPG
- Jason
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

I hadn't given any thought to the Associated Companies section past the Craftsmans. I don't know how far out in the weeds you want to go with that section, but I will offer up these knives for your interest and consideration. As a suggestion, since the Craftsman 95224 was made by Camillus and appears in this dual topic section, it should be acknowledged. I suggested this knife in the beginning but failed to mention this fact. ::dang::
(Only the Craftsman 9470 belongs to me.)
Attachments
Imperial, DE 353
Imperial, DE 353
Ulster 98 made for Craftsman, #9470
Ulster 98 made for Craftsman, #9470
Ulster 98G, "G" for bone handle
Ulster 98G, "G" for bone handle
Craftsman 95224
Craftsman 95224
Ulster 98
Ulster 98
Darksev

Post by Darksev »

Associated companies are a weird grey area I'm not entirely sure how to handle yet, even after much thought.

I know that the Providence Imperial plant was making knives under various contracts either marked as Schrade or with Schrade's production methodology (i.e. swinden stuff, standard Schrade parts) for quite some time, so those knives I have no issues including . Examples include the Parker-Frost stuff and most of the SWCut stamped knives I suspect - I would even consider the Frontier line as "family" and subsequently relevant here as a result (honestly the only real difference I see is Imperial cut their swedges different - almost everything else matches up perfect)

That Camillus made craftsman I think we talked about before, and I skipped over adding it. The Schrade made Buck 301's I thought I added. If I didn't, I should go back and do that. They definately belong because as far as I know they are essentially the exact same as the standard 4" stockman parts Schrade was using in-house at the time, just colored/stamped with Buck's information.

I'm wondering about the shell handle stuff now, honestly. That might be different enough that it could be considered a "cousin" rather than a direct member of the immediate family tree.
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

It is your list, Adam, and a fine one and a worthy endeavor. I have no suggestions for Associated Companies. It's whatever you want to do with it. Looking for similarities as you were in your previous post starts getting pretty sketchy. Although Ulster and Schrade made some of the exact same patterns with different tang stamps when Schrade moved into the Ulster factory, I don't believe that a 4" stockman is one of those knives with the similarities you are looking for. It is possible to stray too far away from the foundation of your list that is rooted in the Schrade Cut. Co. knives and that Schrade carried on to the end with the 8OT, 89OT, 885UH, SC 505, limited edition and SFO knives. I think I was just testing the limits of your sub-catagory by throwing some stuff against the wall to see what sticks. I like your list and the way you have arranged it but maybe getting too far out into the weeds with Associated Companies will dilute your original purpose?? In retrospect, I regret suggesting the Craftsman 95224 in the first place. Don't know what I was thinking. It is on the list though, so you can remove it. Otherwise, just shooting the breeze about Schrades..... :D
Darksev

Post by Darksev »

I'm always open to suggestions, Anytime! I mean the criteria I'm using as by no means definitive, I'm making them up on the spot. When I started trying to whittle down my impulse buys to a specific pattern, I realized that there was no such animal as a "list of all the 8OT/881 family" and that's what I was primarily interested in. If all of this is a jumping off point for anyone else's list just because I'm being picky, then I will 100% support that endeavor

and you throwing stuff against the wall is how about half the knives made it on the list to begin with, so by all means carry on!

I think all the nuances of history and interaction are one of the reasons why Schrade is still my first love when it comes to traditional knives.
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

Well, at this point, as I look over my previous posts, I'm just being redundant. :lol:
For what it's worth, I have your list saved to my favorites and have referred to it to answer questions I had a few times.
Thanks for creating and posting it! ::tu::
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Thanks for all this work! ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
jxr1197

Post by jxr1197 »

I found another contract knife to consider for the list. It's a Shapleigh Diamond Edge circa 1940-1947. Unfortunately I can't find a Shapleigh pattern number for it but it's a Schrade 8814. Catalog E shows variations of celluloid in Green Pearl, Golden Pearl and Mottled Green. I don't know which color Schrade called it - I think it looks like something in the bile family.
closeda.jpg
tang.jpg
open.jpg
- Jason
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

jxr1197 wrote: I think it looks like something in the bile family.
:lol:
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

jxr1197 wrote:I found another contract knife to consider for the list. It's a Shapleigh Diamond Edge circa 1940-1947. Unfortunately I can't find a Shapleigh pattern number for it but it's a Schrade 8814. Catalog E shows variations of celluloid in Green Pearl, Golden Pearl and Mottled Green. I don't know which color Schrade called it - I think it looks like something in the bile family.

closeda.jpg
tang.jpg
open.jpg
It is a ugly color for sure!
Keep Near the Cross.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”