171UH 1 of 200 ?

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Cutty

171UH 1 of 200 ?

Post by Cutty »

Is this in fact a 2001 special edition made in the USA?
If it is a pre 2004 close, why would there not be a proper tang stamp or any at all for that matter?
The sheath looks like it may be correct but there is no shp. stone compartment?

This is not my knife and I do not know the seller nor am I trying to say that it's not legit. I do have a gut feeling though ::td:: . Just wondering about it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-VINTAGE-US ... 19d4ae992c

**EDIT** The info I found here under the "various schrade knife lists......" shows that they were made between '73-'83 and again '90-'91. Nothing about a '01 special edition. So I am going with that ::huff:: Unless informed otherwise.
Attachments
171.jpg
171.jpg (31.09 KiB) Viewed 945 times
I dig half stops!!

"GOTTA DO WHATCHA GOTTA DO, SO THAT YOU GET TO DO, WHATCHA WANNA DO"
My Grandad.
God rest his soul.

Brian
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: 171UH 1 of 200 ?

Post by TripleF »

It seems strange that there's be NO mention of Schrade/Uncle Henry on the tang......but what do I know?
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
thawk

Re: 171UH 1 of 200 ?

Post by thawk »

It knife looks like a USA Schrade to me. The blade looks correct for the handle. I don't know the seller, but he does sell a lot of Schrade knives and bling that goes along with them.

A Schrade with a curious etch, without a tang stamp or one not found in a catalogs or various lists, well, that list would be extremely lengthy. Coming up with "special editions" made from a cache of leftover knives/parts was not an uncommon practice. I agree though, the etch date and lack of tang stamp makes it yet one more Schrade mystery knife. A big handful of knife at that, and I'd bet a very nice one.
Hal

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”