Uncle Henry Serial Numbers

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Bootclad
Location: Australia, a stones throw from the big pub on the corner.

Uncle Henry Serial Numbers

Post by Bootclad »

The Uncle Henry knives were 'Guaranteed against loss, for one full year', from when they were introduced (1967) right up untill factory close. The 897UH was the first introduced (1967) and each knife was given an individual serial number, from there the UH line increased, (the 1969 catalogue lists four UH knives and says that each knife has its own serial number, ect.).
Reading from the catalogues each UH knife produced up untill and including 1979, was given its own serial number; after that no mention of serial numbers is made.
Therefore I assume my 897UH serial number #945578 was made 1979 or earlier (probably a fair bit earlier 'cause its under the million), and
my 885UH, 885UH, 834UH, 807UH and 285UH made 1980 or later.
(My LB7 has a number J85457 but I believe they all did.)

Can anyone confirm the serial numbering dating?
Attachments
Schrade_Uncle Henry_Stockmans_2.JPG
Knives were invented 'cos blunt sticks just don't cut it.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Uncle Henry Serial Numbers

Post by orvet »

Boots,
I think you are basically correct on the introduction of the numbers.

As regards the LB7, I am told they went from 0 to 99,999, then they started back at 0 with an "A" prefix and when up through A99.999. Then it was B, C, D etc. through the whole alphabet.
Then they used an "AA" prefix, BB, CC on through AZ.
They again started over with the prefix of AB going through the alphabet, then on to AC, etc.

I am not sure where they ended, but I think they got at least as far as LM before they dropped the numbering system. If I am understanding & recall correctly what I remember reading (in BF) that would mean they had made in excess of 40,000,000 LB7s before they dropped the numbering system.

If I am wrong, I do hope someone will correct me.
If I am am right, the large number of the LB7s made would account for the quantity of them still on the market today, 8 years after Schrade closed their doors.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”