My latest Schrade

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
gmichael

Re: My latest Schrade

Post by gmichael »

CheckSix wrote:
gmichael wrote:Obtained this beauty 80T for the collection
ummmm.... that looks to be a 1st year bone 8OT.

More details please!
Hello, Im pretty new to Schrades, but got the Old-Timer-itus bug,and have been on a mission to find a few older 80ts. Im at work..but will post a few pics later this evening. please check out my gallery. From what I believe to know..this is the second run bone..as this is not smooth bone..but saw cut?
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Re: bone 8OT: would be good to see pics with all blades open, front & back sides. It looks more 'shiny' than the few others i have seen ?

Here are 2 neat Schrade USA Lockbacks.
Every year Colt commissions a knife company to make a "Colt" knife for them. They usually are expensive high end knives from Jos. Rodgers in Sheffield, and manufacturers in Solingen & Italy as well as USA.
Here is the 1993 Colt, a Schrade USA LB5.
And a Matco 1983 fancy LB7 with a well tooled flap over sheath.
Good scores if i do say so myself.
kj
Attachments
Picture 005.jpg
Picture 006.jpg
Picture 004.jpg
Picture 007.jpg
Picture 010.jpg
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

gmichael wrote:
CheckSix wrote:

More details please!
Hello, Im pretty new to Schrades, but got the Old-Timer-itus bug,and have been on a mission to find a few older 80ts. Im at work..but will post a few pics later this evening. please check out my gallery. From what I believe to know..this is the second run bone..as this is not smooth bone..but saw cut?
Oh yeah; yers is the real deal, alright. The degree of texture to the 'sawcut' surface can vary, but yours is from ground zero (except for a small difference in shields. There WAS an oval shield that preceded the shield you show, and actually may have only been a prototype). Your knife is as good as it gets. 8) :shock: :D ::tu:: ::drool:: 8) 8) 8)
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Roland, those are some nice lockbacks that I never knew even existed! I am not much of a lockback guy, but there are a few that trip my trigger. Here is one that is actually still in the mail (I hope). The early (1979) introduction in non-stainless steel.
7OT1.jpg
gmichael

Post by gmichael »

A few more pics..its difficult to capture consistent colors..this is low lighting in garage from what little sun was coming throughh the clouds. The back side is darker than the front though. Thoughts?

CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Beauty! Where did you find it?

Generally speaking, those are hard to find.
Dave - the new guy. :lol:
NRA Life/Endowment
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Very nice example of the early bone 8OT, used & sharpened but still 'all there'. I have been looking for one of these for a long time.
For future reference pictures taken from directly overhead give the most information. Angled pictures distort.
Calvin, lovely 7-OT, such perfection makes me want to grab it and go cut some things.
kj
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

1983 Schrade Heritage Whittler by Herman Williams. Hopefully the 1st of 6
1983 SCHRADE HERITAGE WHITTLER (1).jpg
[/attachment]
1983 SCHRADE HERITAGE WHITTLER (4).jpg
1983 SCHRADE HERITAGE WHITTLER (2).jpg
[attachment=0]1983 SCHRADE HERITAGE WHITTLER-r (4).jpg
Attachments
1983 SCHRADE HERITAGE WHITTLER-r (4).jpg
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
koldgold
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by koldgold »

gmichael wrote:
CheckSix wrote:

More details please!
Hi gmichael from Australia, ::handshake::
I have had the Schrade 8OT bug, for many years now.
Could you please post as much information, you can find on the First 8OT's.
The history of the 8OT, from day one to the early 1970's, is very hard to find... Ken.
HI FROM AUSTRALIA
A.A.P.N. # 5197: Member of Australian & U.S Blade Forums...KEN -
I collect Schrade knives - made in the U.S.A.- I like the 8OT
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

gmichael wrote:A few more pics..its difficult to capture consistent colors..this is low lighting in garage from what little sun was coming throughh the clouds. The back side is darker than the front though. Thoughts?
Camillus 72 1946-1950 Bone - Welcome To AAPK-crop.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

dweb1897 wrote:1983 Schrade Heritage Whittler by Herman Williams. Hopefully the 1st of 6
that is gorgeous!
Dave - the new guy. :lol:
NRA Life/Endowment
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

CheckSix wrote:
dweb1897 wrote:1983 Schrade Heritage Whittler by Herman Williams. Hopefully the 1st of 6
that is gorgeous!
X2, Doug. I think Herman's file work is my favorite aspect of his work, but, of course, it is all good. You say 6 knives. What 6 exactly are you planning?
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

tongueriver wrote:
CheckSix wrote:
that is gorgeous!
X2, Doug. I think Herman's file work is my favorite aspect of his work, but, of course, it is all good. You say 6 knives. What 6 exactly are you planning?
The barlow, trapper, muskrat, stockman, and rancher would be the other 5...a complete 83 Heritage set.
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

1983 SCHRADE HERITAGE WHITTLER (1).jpg[/attachment]1983 SCHRADE HERITAGE WHITTLER (4).jpg1983 SCHRADE HERITAGE WHITTLER (2).jpg[attachment=0]1983 SCHRADE HERITAGE WHITTLER-r (4).jpg
Wow! I'm going to need to be firmly affixed to my chair before you show the other 5.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

1983 SCHRADE HERITAGE WHITTLER (1).jpg[/attachment]1983 SCHRADE HERITAGE WHITTLER (4).jpg1983 SCHRADE HERITAGE WHITTLER (2).jpg[attachment=0]1983 SCHRADE HERITAGE WHITTLER-r (4).jpg

::drool:: ::drool:: ::drool:: ::drool:: ::drool::
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

Thanks for all the good words...I appreciate it. I'm on the lookout for the other 5 knives from the 1983 Red Heritage set and will get them done as I find them. I know there are ones for sale on Ebay but I'm waiting and watching for the good deals. As you can imagine, the file work on one of these knives isn't cheap. I have a complete set but there is always the risk of a broken handle when a knife is taken apart, the slip of a file on one of the blades, which Herman has no spares for, and probably other things that I'm not aware of. Having a knife modified to this extent and putting it back together with the original bone handles certainly is no small task. I simply supplied the money and the knife...all the credit for this show piece belongs to Herman.
Here is another beauty of his that I was fortunate to acquire.
285UH in SAMBAR STAG with FILE  WORK-r (1).jpg
285UH in SAMBAR STAG with FILE  WORK-r (5).jpg
285UH in SAMBAR STAG with FILE  WORK-r (6).jpg
285UH in SAMBAR STAG with FILE  WORK-r (8).jpg
285UH in SAMBAR STAG with FILE  WORK-r (11).jpg
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Stunning!!
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
KnifeSlinger#81

Knives like that remind me of a custom 1911, at its heart it's still a colt (insert other brand here if you don't prefer colt) yet it's also something new and unique. Very nice dweb, incredible piece!
-Paul T.

FatCity67

Post by FatCity67 »

New philly in the stable

Imperial Frontier Double Eagle 4625
IMG_0217.JPG
IMG_0222.JPG
IMG_0226.JPG
-Phil
"Maybe were all happy"
KnifeSlinger#81

All thanks go to Bruce (old hunter) for picking up this wonderful set of old timers for me. These are some of the finest looking post cut co knives schrade ever made IMO. I'm very pleased to be able to add this set to my small but growing collection.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
-Paul T.

truck

Post by truck »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:All thanks go to Bruce (old hunter) for picking up this wonderful set of old timers for me. These are some of the finest looking post cut co knives schrade ever made IMO. I'm very pleased to be able to add this set to my small but growing collection.
Spectacular!! I hope to own a set just like that some day. Excellent score.
I may not change the world but I'm gonna leave a scar.
koldgold
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by koldgold »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:All thanks go to Bruce (old hunter) for picking up this wonderful set of old timers for me. These are some of the finest looking post cut co knives schrade ever made IMO. I'm very pleased to be able to add this set to my small but growing collection.
Hi Paul, like you I believe that 1985 set, is the best set of Schrades knives I have seen. ::ds:: ::ds:: ::ds::
They were also sold separately in brown boxes . Ken
HI FROM AUSTRALIA
koldgold
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by koldgold »

This is the front page of a N.K.C.A. 1986 magazine
Attachments
1985 Red Bone Schrade Set.
1985 Red Bone Schrade Set.
HI FROM AUSTRALIA
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Paul, congratulations that trio is absolutely gorgeous ::nod:: Lloyd
Lloyd
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Was there a Heritage Bone series in 1983 also with reddish bone ?
kj

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”