My latest Schrade

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: My latest Schrade

Post by Chase »

You may very well be right Ken....500 and 500

Tom
koldgold
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by koldgold »

Chase wrote:You may very well be right Ken....500 and 500

Tom
Tom, I have often considered if Schrade finished off a 1000 of each of the special knives. ::shrug::
Over the years I have collected over twenty of the D'holder, Lake & Walker and Barnett nylon bags [all with tags on them]
One seller on eBay had a very large number of the bags... Ken
Why would so many of these bags, be left over - with no knives to fill them.
HI FROM AUSTRALIA
A.A.P.N. # 5197: Member of Australian & U.S Blade Forums...KEN -
I collect Schrade knives - made in the U.S.A.- I like the 8OT
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Ken,
I believe the reason there are so many "extra" bags & pouches is because they bought them in bulk and a much cheaper cost. A lot of times you only need a thousand pouches, however, you get a significant price break by buying say 5000 pieces and then they become excess to your needs. Now if they decided to do another run of the same style knife, then they basically have the bag/pouch for free.

I see it all the time in my line of business, larger quantities equal lower costs. That's my theory on that. I also know that the intention is to build what they stated, as far as the number was concerned, however, if it isn't a seller they wouldn't just produce them anyway. Why produce a product that wasn't going to sell. On the flip side, they would do a run of a projected number of 1000 and end up having an over-run and could potentially end up producing 1100 - 1200. They had to figure in a formula for rejected knives so they would produce the number required + say 10% or whatever their failure rate was.

To give you another example.....I have several boxes of Imperial Schrade felt knife rolls. They are blue, hold 5 knives and they are screen printed Imperial Schrade. These can from the Schrade Auction, I would guess that I probably have 500-1000 pieces. Schrade obviously had these made for some project and never used them all....now they rest in my knife room.

Sorry to be so long winded on this but I wanted to give my opinion on the subject....lol

Tom
koldgold
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by koldgold »

" Sorry to be so long winded on this but I wanted to give my opinion on the subject....lol Tom"

Tom. I always like to hear you opinion, on these questions.
Do you have any information on the first 8OTs, Shields ? Gimping ? Boxed in sixes ? individually boxed etc. etc.
Date: when and for how lone they were made ? Ken.
HI FROM AUSTRALIA
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

I picked up this fun, unfinished '03 Cigar Box Classic Muskrat in a package deal with an Uncle Henry 77UH for about $30 less than I paid for my first 77UH. Ebay, go figure. I think this green bone muskrat is my new BBQ knife this summer. ::groove::
Attachments
77UH + '03 Unfinished CBC.jpg
tCBC Unfinished '03 CSW77 (3).JPG
tCBC Unfinished '03 CSW77 (4).JPG
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Those cigar box knives are really beautiful. If they were in 1095 I would be all over them. Thanx for showing one of the beauties! ::tu::
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Very nice. They look good together. The 77uh is pretty scarce. Thanks for posting them.
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

tongueriver wrote:Those cigar box knives are really beautiful. If they were in 1095 I would be all over them.
Like this Herman Williams 787? I bet if you think about it, you know where you can bid on it. :wink:
Attachments
787 Imp. Muskrat Custom Bone.jpg
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

Spare parts (89OT) knife. Skoal knife sides with a replacement Schrade shield. Mismatched blades that seem to be from three different knives judging from the different finishes on all three. The main blade being stainless and the other two being carbon, one shiny and the other mat finished. It's a solid knife and I'm a sucker for green saw-cut delrin and brass. I have the 194OT version and a LB5 Skoal and I'm keeping an eye out for the 36OT with replacement Schrade shield. (They are out there) There are Ducks Unlimited Greenwing knives with Old Timer shields out there too. If I had worked at Schrade there is no telling what kind of crap I'd bring home in my lunchbox.
Attachments
89OT LTD green (3).JPG
89OT LTD green (4).JPG
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

My first swell center pattern. Craftsman 9494. Could be an Ulster, could be a Schrade Walden. Same difference as they were both being produced in the same factory at the time. More likely an Ulster I think. The early SW 863 had the same swedged blade as the Ulsters. Pretty cool knife!
Attachments
63 Craftsman 9494 delrin (2).jpg
63 Craftsman 9494 delrin (3).jpg
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

I got 3 0T 8 Stockmans , a Craftsman OT8 and a Improved Muskrat, ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

Mustanger wrote:My first swell center pattern. Craftsman 9494. Could be an Ulster, could be a Schrade Walden. Same difference as they were both being produced in the same factory at the time. More likely an Ulster I think. The early SW 863 had the same swedged blade as the Ulsters. Pretty cool knife!
Top Knife.
Here a few Craftsman 9494 I have collected .Ulster, Schrade and Imperial. :)

Grant
Attachments
P1030104.JPG
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Congratulations Mustanger. That's a really nice one. I'm going to jump on your bandwagon and also say Ulster with the caveat that it could be Schrade. Just call me Mr. Waffle Man. :mrgreen:
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

Thanks, Mr. Waffle Man. :mrgreen: Nice collection, Shearer. I have admired the 863 Schrades but have never felt prompted to buy one until I saw this Craftsman 9494. I started looking for information about them and discovered that it could be either one or both, 63/863. The conundrum that we face, like jerryd6818, is that after Schrade Walden took over Ulster and started producing SWs in their factory and were making the same knives with different tang stamps, who do we attribute the making of knives like the Craftsman 9494? I like to think it's an Ulster 63 but I don't know who started producing that pattern first. Another one that comes to mind is the Craftsman 9555 camper knife with a saw blade. The paperwork refers to that knife as the "Schrade Walden Saw Knife". It is thought that it was made in the Ulster plant because they were tooled up for their 114 Boy Scout knives. Makes me think that all of Schrades campers were made at the Ulster factory?? Schrade Walden's 914 camper ('65-'69) is nothing more than an Ulster 114. But I digress. An expert on such things over at the other knife forum explains it better than me and is where I learn about these things. Here are links to a couple of threads where Codger mentions the Ulster, Schrade Walden connection, for anyone interested. I'm probably not telling you guys anything you don't already know. But I can't go to sleep! :lol:

Good thread about the 63 / 863 / 9494
"... a pair of Craftsman whittlers, stock #9494.... an Ulster #63.... a Schrade Walden #863."
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... e-it/page2

Thread about the Craftsman 9555 and the Ulster, Schrade Walden question.
" But at this point Schrade Walden and Ulster were pretty much one and the same." (1967)
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... sman-knife

Schrade Walden Cutlery Corporation was moved from Walden into the Ulster Knife Company facility in Ellenville in 1958.
The combined factories produced both Schrade Walden and Ulster products, and each stamped the products with their corresponding stamps.
In 1972 the manufacture of Ulster stamped product was discontinued
http://collectors-of-schrades-r.us/arti ... istory.pdf

EDIT: (I have a problem with the last statement in that quote because I own an Ulster #1046 BSA, (phillips screwdriver and no bail) that according to knife books was produced from '76 to '79. Perhaps only BSA knives were Ulster branded after '72?)
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

Mustanger wrote:If I had worked at Schrade there is no telling what kind of crap I'd bring home in my lunchbox.
Sure wouldn't have been pens and pencils, eh? ::tu:: ::nod::

Good looking knife though. I'm partial to green scales too. Started buying up some left over parts popping up on feebay here lately. Gonna start making some cool 'parts' knives like yours hopefully in the near future.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Mustanger wrote:If I had worked at Schrade there is no telling what kind of crap I'd bring home in my lunchbox.
Reminds me of the song one piece at a time :lol:
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Mustanger wrote:Spare parts (89OT) knife. Skoal knife sides with a replacement Schrade shield. Mismatched blades that seem to be from three different knives judging from the different finishes on all three. The main blade being stainless and the other two being carbon, one shiny and the other mat finished.
I suspect it was close to the end of a run and they were scrambling for blades to finish the run. It is more common than you might think
The blades all had to be added and assembled at the factory on the factory machinery or else the bolsters had to be drilled and a through pin installed.
The only Swinden machine that could assemble those knives with the internal Swinden pin was at the Schrade factory.
A guy couldn't take the parts home and finish them in his garage.

The mixed carbon steel & stainless blades is also not uncommon. There was a bunch of that stuff that came out just before they closed the doors.
Things like Old Timer patterns or half the pattern and Uncle Henry handles, knives that never existed but the parts interchanged; lots of strange knives! One of my favorites is the 97OT made with a single blade and Uncle Henry handles, that is a pattern that should have been in the catalog!! ::nod::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

Thanks, Dale, for that information. I did not realize that a Swinden Key machine was needed to assemble the knives. I'm like gwelker62 and considered buying parts and assembling my own fantasy knives. I had the notion that they somehow snapped together. ::dang::
I agree with your assessment of my parts knife. I have learned that the Schrade shield was actually part of an intentional run of green handled knives of different patterns, and not such a bastard child. I even found a 2 knife boxed set of 2 different patterns. I also just bought a straight up Skoal 89OT with all the right blades and the Schrade shield. I'm keeping an eye out to get all the ones made that way.

Concerning your favorite EOD knife, that one was actually in the 2004 catalog. Or at least in the price list and flyers. It was a Ducks Unlimited knife for 2004. Kind of a series over a period of years that included the standard clip and spey blades and one with the clip and saw blades. I had to do some hard looking to find out what that single blade knife was. I have only seen one DU example for sale, just recently. Maybe still on ebay. A bunch of them turned up with no shields. I always wished that someone would have stuck the Uncle Henry shields on them like they did the 77UH. I like them a lot too and have all 3 along with a couple of the 77UH that I believe was spawned from the DU limited edition. But I could be wrong. I used to have a 77UH with no shield. I'm with you, I think the DU trappers should have been sold as Uncle Henrys. I have two of the single blade ones because I like them so much. I used to have three and two of the saw knives. The only DU knife I have is the 77UH, just because it was cheap. I like some of the EOD, 'oddball' and unfinished stuff that is floating around. Some nice bone handled knives out there too!

Here are some images I've saved of the DU knives and my EODs.
Attachments
Uncle Henry DU SDU197CPT.jpg
SDU197
SDU197
77UH, '03 SDU6-CPT, '01 SDU4-CPT and/or '02 SDU4-CDU
77UH, '03 SDU6-CPT, '01 SDU4-CPT and/or '02 SDU4-CDU
A little EOD heaven
A little EOD heaven
I never have found out where these scales came from.
I never have found out where these scales came from.
Unfinished 2004 Cigar Box Classics
Unfinished 2004 Cigar Box Classics
gwelker62

Post by gwelker62 »

Mustanger wrote:Thanks, Dale, for that information. I did not realize that a Swinden Key machine was needed to assemble the knives. I'm like gwelker62 and considered buying parts and assembling my own fantasy knives. I had the notion that they somehow snapped together. ::dang::
Not sure, but from the study of a Swinden key construction, the machine merely made, formed, or attached the barbell ends on the pin after it was inserted through the joint. Final assembly I assume was done by hand since the pin heads just needed to be slipped into the keyway on the bolster and then the rocker pin inserted to lock it all in place.
IMAG0649.jpg

I've looked into making the barbells, or whatever they are supposed to be called, and most answers are "good luck". But I have some ideas on how it could be done. ::hmm::
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

I'm clueless on the subject of building knives. I see parts for sale and odd configurations of knives out there, so I thought it could be done. Before I bought any parts I would try to educate myself on assembly. There are youtube videos about everything else in the world. I've benefited from some great gunsmithing videos. I was only in the 'thinking about it' stage and not very serious yet. I see some nice parts on ebay and it gets me thinking about it. Somebody is putting that stuff together.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Mustanger wrote:I'm clueless on the subject of building knives. I see parts for sale and odd configurations of knives out there, so I thought it could be done. Before I bought any parts I would try to educate myself on assembly. There are youtube videos about everything else in the world. I've benefited from some great gunsmithing videos. I was only in the 'thinking about it' stage and not very serious yet. I see some nice parts on ebay and it gets me thinking about it. Somebody is putting that stuff together.
There are two or four videos in this thread ---> http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... =2&t=45848
relating to knife construction/assembly/manufacturing.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
koldgold
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by koldgold »

Mustanger wrote: "... A little EOD heaven"
Mustanger, do you have all the Duck knives you posted... Ken

I would say; this Yellow Saw-cut handled knife, was a special order knife made in 2003.
Schrade made some of these Trappers in their last years, 2002 to 2004.
Attachments
Yellow Saw-cut special order.
Yellow Saw-cut special order.
2004 Anniversary 94OT.
2004 Anniversary 94OT.
2004 Anniversary set - with a 194 in wood.
2004 Anniversary set - with a 194 in wood.
These 1982 Bone N.K.C.A. knives often sell on eBay.
These 1982 Bone N.K.C.A. knives often sell on eBay.
Blue Bone Set  2002-2003.
Blue Bone Set 2002-2003.
Duck with 2003 Blade etch.
Duck with 2003 Blade etch.
HI FROM AUSTRALIA
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

Thanks for the link, jerryd6818. I'll check that out tonight.

Koldgold, you definitely have the best "last days" collection of Schrades that I have seen.
The only DU knife that I have is a 77UH, mint in the tin, without clam pack. I couldn't walk away from it for $45. I like the pattern. My notes say that one cataloged in 1998. The other pictures I posted are ones I saved from ebay for reference purposes. That single blade trapper had me really curious about where it came from until I found it in the 2004 price list (page 28 by my pdf counter) and then the flyers on schrades r us. The only knives I posted that are mine are the EOD knives below the DU knives. I considered buying the DU knives in the pictures, but I have other priorities. The single blade trapper, SDU197, seems to be more rare because I've only seen that, one, for sale. (not that I live on ebay) The lot of three knives was on ebay a couple of months ago. They were all kinda pricey for my interest. I just went to completed listings on ebay and the single blade DU trapper sold for 80 bucks and the lot of three knives wasn't there. I guess that's not too bad if your into DU and last year knives. I've seen the unfinished EOD version sell for that much and more a couple of times. I hate looking through those completed listings and seeing all the great deals I missed out on! ::teary_eyes::
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Here is a GEM I just received in the mail yesterday evening!

This is a Schrade Walden 2 OT, one of the FIRST Old Timers on the Market. After watching the work done by our very own Glennbad, I contacted him to see if he was interested in doing something with it for me!

He was interested and I send the knife to him. We went back and forth, a little, about what I wanted done with the knife and I basically asked him to do something unique with it as I wanted it as an EDC. Now most of you that know me, also know I typically do not carry a knife, however, the 2 OT is my most favorite pattern and I wanted one to carry in my pocket.

Glenn suggested Ivory handles and I said that I would be happy with it....I really wanted something unique and different. Below is the descriptionof the knife and pictures of the absolute piece of Art he sent me in return.

Schrade Walden 2 OT originally with Red Bone handles

Rehandled with IVORY which has some inclusions in it. I would not have known what that was until Glenn Explained...LOL The Ivory with the inclusions adds a tremendous amount of character to the knife.

Glenn sealed the deal with a Nice Diamond Shield

He left the blades with the original patina and edge!

Folks, this is truly a work of Art and I couldn't have come up with his ideas alone much less his skills to customize this knife. I will treasure this beauty forever and I even considered not carrying her because she is such a beauty. However, this was intended to be an EDC and I will honor Glenn by doing exactly what I said I would do...EDC

Glenn, I am forever in your debt, Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Tom
Attachments
025.JPG
026.JPG
027.JPG
028.JPG
029.JPG
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

That is one classy fingernail picker! ::tu::

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”