Schrade Question

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
TDCase

Schrade Question

Post by TDCase »

I was at a store today and saw what I thought was a USA Schrade 897UH. I asked to look at it and upon opening the clip blade, it said Craftsman Stainless USA 9552. I thought this was odd since I've never seen a Uncle Henry stamped shield stagalon knife that had the Craftsman tang stamp. Is or was this a common practice? I bought it for good measure because it was interesting. Also, any idea on when these were made? Thanks, TD
A sharp knife is a friend indeed!
ozzie marie

Re: Schrade Question

Post by ozzie marie »

TD,

I am far from an expert on Schrade manufactured knives and hopfully another member will come along and give you their opinion, but I do have an idea about your Craftsman Uncle Henry.

I have herd that in the last days before the closing of the Schrade USA operation in July 2004, the employees put together as many knives as they could with the parts they had available.

Because Schrade manufactured knives for Craftsman and had the parts, someone may have put a Craftsman stamped blade in an Uncle Henry knife, just to get it out the door. ::shrug::

Keith
Loyalty and Respect are not purchased and owned for a lifetime, they are earned everyday.

Please visit my store at:
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ozziemarie
TDCase

Post by TDCase »

ozzie marie wrote:TD,

I am far from an expert on Schrade manufactured knives and hopfully another member will come along and give you their opinion, but I do have an idea about your Craftsman Uncle Henry.

I have herd that in the last days before the closing of the Schrade USA operation in July 2004, the employees put together as many knives as they could with the parts they had available.

Because Schrade manufactured knives for Craftsman and had the parts, someone may have put a Craftsman stamped blade in an Uncle Henry knife, just to get it out the door. ::shrug::

Keith

Keith, That seems plausible to me and I hadn't thought of that! I guess I'll keep it just as a curiosity. It's not 100% as it has a tiny bit of play in two of the blades and the clip blade looks a little thin to me. It will make a good EDC though I guess. Thanks for the reply back! ::tu:: Later, TD
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

What likely happened is that some Craftsman blades got mixed in with some Uncle Henry blades.
Maybe the guy who swept the floor picked up a blade that was dropped and put it in the wrong bin.

It very well could be an end-of-days knife (made just before they closed), but I have seen old knives with the mis-matched blades that were made long before Schrade's closing.

An excellent example of an End-of-Days knife is this 97OT clip blade without the saw blade in a frame with Staglon handles.
97OT End-of-Days.jpg
The End-of-Days knives are often the assembly of parts that while they fit, weren't intended to be assembled that way and make a new knife.

Errors of wrong blades, shields, etc., are not uncommon at any point in Schrade's history (at least post WWII).

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
TDCase

Post by TDCase »

Dale - thanks for the additional information on what could have happened to this one. I'll post a picture tomorrow. Thanks again, TD ....
TDCase

Post by TDCase »

A few pics of the End of Days Uncle Henry now one of my EDC's! Thanks, TD

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thanks for the pics TD.
Nice EDC. ::tu::

Does anyone else have any End-of-Days Schrades or examples of mis-matched parts in Schrades?
If so, please post some pics of them.

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I found an old scan of an MM89 with Master Mechanic blade etch and shield with a Schrade 89OT tang stamp.
MM89 Schrade.jpg
Another of those weird little things that came out of the Schrade factory.

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

TDCase

Post by TDCase »

Dale - Now that's a nice MM89! :mrgreen:
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

There were a lot of knives with this configuration. Here is an 885UH in the same config. I think that this was the way Sears received a lot of knives from Schrade.

TDCase

Post by TDCase »

tongueriver - Thanks for posting a pic of the Uncle Henry/Craftsman! From what I've heard, I guess these are not that uncommon :shock: Guess I'll hang on to mine for now and keep it as an EDC. Later, TD
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

tongueriver wrote:There were a lot of knives with this configuration. Here is an 885UH in the same config. I think that this was the way Sears received a lot of knives from Schrade.

No doubt.
Some may have been made late Friday afternoon, or early Monday morning. :lol: :lol:

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

greencreek65

Post by greencreek65 »

I HAVE A G SCHRADE WIRE KNIFE B-PORT CONN PAT APPLIED FOR,HAVE LOOKED IN BOOKS AND FOUND OUT ITS FOR 1925-1930 ANY HELP WOULD HELP THANKS TOM
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Here's an open stock 893 pattern with an OT clip blade in it.

Not a redo, or if it is, it's darn good work.

Glenn
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

greencreek65 wrote:I HAVE A G SCHRADE WIRE KNIFE B-PORT CONN PAT APPLIED FOR,HAVE LOOKED IN BOOKS AND FOUND OUT ITS FOR 1925-1930 ANY HELP WOULD HELP THANKS TOM

The Geo. Schrade tang stamp is from another company George started.
Dated by Goins as 1929-1956.

A picture would help.
We really can't tell much without seeing it.

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

ea42

Post by ea42 »

Greencreek, those are a fairly common G. Schrade knife, he made a LOT of 'em, also made some with a fork that was included in a scout mess kit. Initially they were made "open", but after it was found that a gazillion people wound up cutting themselves by leaving a finger or two between the wires when they closed the knife, production included a piece of sheet steel installed to close off the gap, usually blue or red.

Eric
greencreek65

Post by greencreek65 »

thanks the one i have has no side shields ,that is one of my edcs love that little knife...
thawk

Post by thawk »

Heck Glenn, the 893 is rare in the first place. Perhaps that is a 93OT with jigged delrin. ::shrug:: :lol:
glennbad wrote:Here's an open stock 893 pattern with an OT clip blade in it.

Glenn
Hal
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

glennbad wrote:Here's an open stock 893 pattern with an OT clip blade in it.

Glenn

Nice one Glenn.
The 893 does not appear in any of the catalogs I have seen, but I have one 893 knife.
The guy I got it from said he got it from Smokey Mt. in 1991.

My notes say that it is 3-1/2" (my ,measurement- I could be wrong), a very unusual size for an Old Timer. The only one I see listed as 3-1/2" is the 2OT, and that doesn't look like a 2 OT blade to me. :lol:
I am just wondering what blade they put in that 893 frame?
The closest I can find in size are the 93OT & 98OT, both at 3-9/16".
IIRC they have the slim clip blade like your 893 does.
It might fit OK, especially if someone modified the tip to shorten it a bit.
Does the blade hit the end, or does it fit right?

That is an interesting one Glenn. ::hmm:: Sure got me to thinking as to how easy it would be to change blades, especially since they were made with the Swinden system. You don't just substitute a blade, it comes with the blades, springs and liner all together.
I am wondering if the 893 number was used on more than size frame......? ::shrug::

I am anxious to find out how long it is and what OT blade was used in that knife.

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

thawk

Post by thawk »

A picture of three knives all on the same 3 9/16" frame. A two blade 825SS, an 893, and 93OT. The 893 is stamped 893 and has carbon blades. I have two of the open stock 893. I put the ruler to them to verify length.
Hal

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”