LB7 questions

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
allenluc

LB7 questions

Post by allenluc »

Hi all,

I have been working on cleaning up an old Schrade LB7, and I have a couple of questions for aficionados out there.

1.) What do you all recommend for cleaning a knife, that is, what chemicals and materials will do the best job without damaging the knife. Its been in an old toolbox in a basement for a long time, so its tarnished and dirty, but doesn't have any exotic grime on it.

2.) Can anyone help me with a manufacture date on the knife. It has a serial number on it: m33006.

best regards,
Luke
W5RWU

Re: LB7 questions

Post by W5RWU »

Hello,welcome, I like simichrome. One of club the members has it in his AAPK store http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/aap ... store_id=4
or Google it . As far as the date I do not know,maybe some one else will chime in. The lb7 was produced for 1979 to 2004.
Here some links for some good Schrade info
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/sch ... /index.php
http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/
W5rwu
https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/w5rwu

on the cutting edge is sometimes not the place to be.
please support our troops - past and present
if not a member...join the NKCA! they're on our side.
BUY MORE AMMO
R.I.P. Johnnie Fain
1949 - 2009
268bull

Post by 268bull »

Welcome Luke, I use a product called "Break Free CLP" (cleaner,lubricant,preservative). I use an old cookie tin to contain the knife and apply the cleaner liberally. I haven't had any adverse effects on the handles so if some gets on, I wouldn't be concerned. Let the knife soak overnight before starting to clean. I use "OOOO" steel wool on the rust on the blades, Keep a popsicle stick handy for cleaning down inside the handles. Have a can on compressed air on hand to blow out the crude which loosens up in the pivot pins. I also have a small collection on dental picks to reach down inside and pick crude out. Pipe cleaners are a handy item also. Any old wore out cotton T-shirts you have are nice for wiping the knife down. Good luck on cleaning your knife and keep after it till the knife appears as though you were looking at it in a sellers display case.
allenluc

Post by allenluc »

Thanks for the input guys.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I am reluctant to soak most knives in any cleaning agent, especially if the handles are natural materials like wood, bone, stag or of they are something unstable like celluloid. I never know what will trigger celluloid to self-destruct.

What I do use is a product made by Birchwood Casey called Gun Scrubber. The label on the newer cans say “Synthetic Safe Cleaner.” Just a squirt or two, (it is comes in an aerosol can), with the blades at half-stop with the tube on it and it blows the crud out of the inside and out from between the tang and spring. Then I finish off by blowing it out with compressed air. If I am still getting crud out I repeat the process.

Using the tube to direct the spray it keeps from getting a lot on the handles. I have used it on Delrin to see if it would damage Delrin. There is no damage with a short exposure. It evaporates very quickly so you cannot soak a knife in it.

I have used it on toolbox knives that were so plugged with crud, grease and gunk that the blades would not close completely. This product really works wonders. It does in a couple minutes what would lake an hour to do by hand and it does it better, IMO.

Wal-Mart used to carry it here locally, but now I have to go to a gun store to find it.

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
knives4sale

Post by knives4sale »

I also use the Birchwood Casey product. It's aggressive on the grime and gentle on the wood and steel. I have special tools to clean knives, but a fine scotchbrite pad cut into little pieces and a dental pick will work for most knives. I also buy the cotton rounds in the makeup section of WalMart and soak pieces in Birchwood Casey gun cleaner, then push them down into the blade channel to soak. This will soak the sides and bottom so that a scotch brite pad will break the material and rust loose. If you're careful, a dremel tool helps a great deal. You can get scotchbrite bits, cotton buff bits and etc.
On difficult jobs, I'll use Goof Off, from Home Depot. You have to be careful because it will also loosen some types of adhesives that hold the handles on.
"It's the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little. Do something!"
Aimus Moses

Post by Aimus Moses »

allenluc wrote:Hi all,

I have been working on cleaning up an old Schrade LB7, and I have a couple of questions for aficionados out there.

Can anyone help me with a manufacture date on the knife. It has a serial number on it: m33006.

best regards,
Luke
Hi Luke, how many pins are in the handles of your Schrade LB7 knife, 3 or 4? That may help get you within hand grenade distance of the years your knife was made. Can you post any pictures of your knife? I like those Schrade LB7's. I'm not a stainless steel lover but I have to admit that those stainless steel Schrade+ LB7's are some real work horses for rough everyday carry.

Aimus

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”