What is Your Latest Old Schrade?

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
JAMESC41001

Re: What is Your Latest Old Schrade?

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Ken, I have that set. Like mine yours says 897uh on the insert. Does the stamp on the knife say 895. I can't see from the pic. Looks like an 897 to me. I am easily confused but not sure what's going on here for sure.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Mustanger wrote:On the topic of non-typical bone on premium stockman knives, I have this 825 Stainless with bone scales that I have posted before. No one at that time had any input about the knife. It appears to have the same kind of standard bone jigging that old 895 knives have and an 'odd for pattern' type of shield. (except for '04 Cigar Box Classics) Does anyone know anything about this knife? I'm not familiar with any 825 from the old days with bone. Do any of the experts here know?
The 836 and 837 whittlers used that shield. I call it a 'crusader' shield because it looks like a common type of fighting shields used by the crusaders. I have never heard of an 825 that was not stainless; I believe that defines the pattern. However I have seen other early 825s with bone handles. They apparently first appeared in the catalogs in 1953 so they did make some boners :D .
825 early bone001.jpg
825 early bone002.jpg
825 early bone003.jpg
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

JAMESC41001 wrote:Ken, I have that set. Like mine yours says 897uh on the insert. Does the stamp on the knife say 895. I can't see from the pic. Looks like an 897 to me. I am easily confused but not sure what's going on here for sure.
I have a set. 897 on the tang.
Mustanger

Post by Mustanger »

tongueriver wrote: The 836 and 837 whittlers used that shield. I call it a 'crusader' shield because it looks like a common type of fighting shields used by the crusaders. I have never heard of an 825 that was not stainless; I believe that defines the pattern. However I have seen other early 825s with bone handles. They apparently first appeared in the catalogs in 1953 so they did make some boners :D .
Thanks. I hadn't looked into it to see if Schrade ever cataloged a bone 825. I just know I haven't ever seen one except mine. I may have overlooked one thinking it was something else from the picture. I have seen that shield, but not often and not on a slenderino that I remember. I gotta get me one of those Cigar Box Classics some day.
koldgold
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by koldgold »

tongueriver wrote:
JAMESC41001 wrote:Ken, I have that set. Like mine yours says 897uh on the insert. Does the stamp on the knife say 895. I can't see from the pic. Looks like an 897 to me. I am easily confused but not sure what's going on here for sure.
I have a set. 897 on the tang.
All I can say in defence of my "one of a kind Uncale Henery" and the AAKNs.
I'm old, half blind and dislexic.
HI FROM AUSTRALIA
A.A.P.N. # 5197: Member of Australian & U.S Blade Forums...KEN -
I collect Schrade knives - made in the U.S.A.- I like the 8OT
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

No worries Ken, I make these mistakes all the time with no ligitimate excuse. Don't know if you took notice but there is a bone handle 895 in pretty good shape at a reasonable price for auction. 201833033559
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Looking closer. I'm not sure that is jigged bone???
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

JAMESC41001 wrote:Looking closer. I'm not sure that is jigged bone???
It is bone, without a doubt. Decent price too, I got a nice bone 899 from that seller.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
gmichael

Post by gmichael »

Finally got a Trapper, I really like this knife. Will be in my pocket tomorrow, and im sure many more days following.

tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Pre-war. Pattern S8373 (page 21 of catalog E reprint). SFO for JKB shop.
jkb1.jpg
jkb4.jpg
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Cal I'm speechless :shock: ::drool:: ::drool::

Looks like it was just made!

Eric
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

That is an absolute beauty Cal and has a lot going for it ::tu:: Lloyd
Lloyd
FatCity67

Post by FatCity67 »

Incredible Cal. Absolutely incredible. What a great piece history as well.

Phil.
"Maybe were all happy"
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

That puts the all about in all about pocket knives.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Thanks for the kind comments. I appreciate that very much. That knife was not cheap.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

tongueriver wrote:Pre-war. Pattern S8373 (page 21 of catalog E reprint). SFO for JKB shop.
DANG!!! What a beautiful cattle knife.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
FatCity67

Post by FatCity67 »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:
tongueriver wrote:Pre-war. Pattern S8373 (page 21 of catalog E reprint). SFO for JKB shop.
DANG!!! What a beautiful cattle knife.
All by itself it's an absolute stunner.

The fact that it's also a Jack Knife Shop marked knife sold out of Benjamin Chon's shop at the Chicago Stockyards adds even more to the knife for me.

Be interesting to know if it was sold before Chon retired and turn the shop over to his sons.
"Maybe were all happy"
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

FatCity67 wrote: Be interesting to know if it was sold before Chon retired and turn the shop over to his sons.
I just got done reading from SEVERAL sources on the JKB story and mostly conflicting information and some opinions on Schrade involvement which I do not agree with. Anyway, one source said that Chon turned the business over in 1928. Although one source whom I respect said in a couple places that he thought Schrades for JKB were made in the late 1940s and into the 1950s, I do not think this is always so. The knife I posted is definitely of 1935 to 1941 vintage, according to my eight years of study of older Schrades. Just my opinion, of course. I also have a tang-stamped Schrade WALDEN 1950s knife with a JKB etch which would fit SOME of the Schrade involvement. It is amazing to me how few years need to elapse before important information is lost forever... "We are but dust in the wind."
The Schrade Walden:
891 JKB.jpg
891 JKB2.jpg
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Reading about the difficulty in determining who made a particular knife is starting to make my head hurt! I have a question about who made some Schrades but I need to get some good photos before I ask a question which has probably already been answered here in the past

Tongueriver - that Schrade JKB is one fine knife! I am not a big stockman fan, but that knife I like!
Mel
FatCity67

Post by FatCity67 »

tongueriver wrote:
FatCity67 wrote: Be interesting to know if it was sold before Chon retired and turn the shop over to his sons.
I just got done reading from SEVERAL sources on the JKB story and mostly conflicting information and some opinions on Schrade involvement which I do not agree with. Anyway, one source said that Chon turned the business over in 1928. Although one source whom I respect said in a couple places that he thought Schrades for JKB were made in the late 1940s and into the 1950s, I do not think this is always so. The knife I posted is definitely of 1935 to 1941 vintage, according to my eight years of study of older Schrades. Just my opinion, of course. I also have a tang-stamped Schrade WALDEN 1950s knife with a JKB etch which would fit SOME of the Schrade involvement. It is amazing to me how few years need to elapse before important information is lost forever... "We are but dust in the wind."
The Schrade Walden:
891 JKB.jpg
891 JKB2.jpg
Thanks for the update Cal. So imagine what we have lost as a civilization before so much info can now be stored almost Ad infinitum.

As an aside William Shawn son of Benjamin worked his was to Editor of New Yorker Magazine and Wallace
Shawn his son is a character actor seen in many movies and successful playwright comedian. Another American Family Story of Rags to Riches.

Phil
"Maybe were all happy"
specgrade

Post by specgrade »

Born in the USA ::nod::
Attachments
DSCN0899.JPG
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I could not help myself. A bone 861 carrying knife with milled liners for $25?
8611.jpg
8612.jpg
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

What a great score Cal, gotta love those Slenderinos
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

dweb1897 wrote:What a great score Cal, gotta love those Slenderinos
So... you must be on your way. You lucky dog; don't forget an extra pair of socks to carry stuff home in! :D
p.s. I hope the knives I sent are OK.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Cal, does your bone Schrade Walden 861 have the pattern # marked on it ?
Delrin was first used in 1960 but even before this Schrade-Walden was using other plastics for knife handles. My question is when did S-W stop using bone as the regular knife handle material ? And was it a gradual transition bone to plastic ? or all in one big step over a 1 or 2 yr period ?
If answers could be known then dating of Schrade-Walden knives would become fairly specific, i.e. narrowed down to the span of just a few years.
kj

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”