What is Your Latest Old Schrade?

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
KnifeSlinger#81

Re: What is Your Latest Old Schrade?

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Here's a cut co jack and walden stock with their respective catalog images. I really get a kick out of finding knives I own in old catalogs!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Ya Paul! that is cool! I enjoy that too! ::tu::
Dave - the new guy. :lol:
NRA Life/Endowment
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The handles on the Stock knife do not look like bone to me ?
kj
KnifeSlinger#81

They are, the color is just light on the front side. Here's the back.
Attachments
image.jpeg
-Paul T.

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Right, i can see it is bone now, and who would put jigged Delrin as a replacement for lovely jigged bone ?
Thanks for posting the back side picture.
kj
KnifeSlinger#81

Your welcome Roland. Just got this one, walden 881 in red bone. Full blades with good snap and the front side of the bone is beautiful, but unfortunately the back has flaked a bit and is prepared to flake more. Im still glad to have it and the price was good, but may get the back side repaired, it bugs me quite a bit.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
-Paul T.

tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I believe that wavy jigging pattern, the red color, and the match-strike pull was one of the last versions of the 881 before they went to Delrin. They took a sample of that jigging to make a mold for some of the first Delrin-handled knives to be marketed. I have an 880 that has that kind of bone. They are very attractive. The first 881s (descendants of the pre-1947 8813s) did not have match-strike pulls. Nice knife. ::tu::
SolWarrior

Post by SolWarrior »

I have an 881 that looks like that one but is Delrin, with the match striker. Here's a pic.
Schrade Walden 881.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I think the bone 881 is a very nice example of a hard to find knife. I don't see anything there to get 'bugged' by. Now you need a bone 880 if you do not already have one. They make a nice pair.
kj
KnifeSlinger#81

Thanks Cal and Roland! Solwarrior that's a nice 881, I love them all ::tu::

My latest schrade is my grail knife, a cut co 8813. I've been searching for one in excellent shape or better for years and I finally found one, I could not be happier! Excellent f&f and walk and talk, dark peachseed bone, all blades stamped (love that detail) and appears unsharpened to my eye. I noticed the backsprings and blade stock are thicker than my walden and post walden 881's, but the edge is more lean. Like the saying goes, they sure don't make 'em like they use to.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
-Paul T.

garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Love them old Schrades ::tu::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

8813, Wow Paul that is a special knife and in very fine condition. And much more real for not being a "Buffed Beauty".
All blades marked means it is not a late Schrade Cut Co but i have no idea of when SCC stopped marking all blades. I think tongueriver might know.
My guess is that it is over 80 years old, which makes condition a 'Wow, Wow', double Wow !
kj
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Received this Schrade Walden farmers jack this week, decent shape with the tip of the pruner blade missing. Has an etch still visible, Bartlett manufacturing Co, Detroit Mich, they were a manufacturer and supplier of arborist tools and equipment.
Attachments
IMG_6514.jpg
IMG_6552.jpg
IMG_6554.jpg
IMG_6556.jpg
IMG_6561.jpg
ea42

Post by ea42 »

That's a fabulous knife John, in great shape too. I actually bid on it as well, nice snag!

Eric
KnifeSlinger#81

Very nice, very rare ::tu::
-Paul T.

CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Got this in yesterday... a Schrade Cut Co advertising knife for A. Louis Rubin.
Attachments
DSC_9274.JPG
Dave - the new guy. :lol:
NRA Life/Endowment
truck

Post by truck »

Hello gentlemen, this is my first post. I've been lurking a few months, enjoying your knives and learning an awful lot from each of you. As I get more familiar with the forum, maybe I'll be able to post some of my own knives. In the meantime I'll just tell you about my most recent find, a Schrade Ducks Unlimited stockman with oak covers and ringed brass bolsters I found in a Cordele, Georgia, pawn shop. I've also found another pawn shop that had numerous older pocket knives obviously from a collection. Over the last two months I have relieved them of several Old Timers and Uncle Henrys for very reasonable prices. When I get the photo posting procedure under control, I will eagerly bore you to tears with my babies. Until then, I'd like to thank y'all for all the knowledge you've unwittingly imparted to me until now.
I may not change the world but I'm gonna leave a scar.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

truck wrote:Hello gentlemen, this is my first post. I've been lurking a few months, enjoying your knives and learning an awful lot from each of you. As I get more familiar with the forum, maybe I'll be able to post some of my own knives. In the meantime I'll just tell you about my most recent find, a Schrade Ducks Unlimited stockman with oak covers and ringed brass bolsters I found in a Cordele, Georgia, pawn shop. I've also found another pawn shop that had numerous older pocket knives obviously from a collection. Over the last two months I have relieved them of several Old Timers and Uncle Henrys for very reasonable prices. When I get the photo posting procedure under control, I will eagerly bore you to tears with my babies. Until then, I'd like to thank y'all for all the knowledge you've unwittingly imparted to me until now.
Truck ::welcome:: ::welcome:: to AAPK! Great to have you aboard. Can't wait to see your knives. You should go to New Member Introductions And properly introduce yourself. You'll get a whale of a welcome.
Here is a link to that
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... m.php?f=20
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
truck

Post by truck »

gsmith7158 wrote:
truck wrote:
Truck ::welcome:: ::welcome:: to AAPK! Great to have you aboard. Can't wait to see your knives. You should go to New Member Introductions And properly introduce yourself. You'll get a whale of a welcome.
Here is a link to that
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... m.php?f=20
Thanks, Greg. Done and done.
koldgold
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by koldgold »

truck wrote:Hello gentlemen, this is my first post. I've been lurking a few months, enjoying your knives and learning an awful lot from each of you. As I get more familiar with the forum, maybe I'll be able to post some of my own knives. In the meantime I'll just tell you about my most recent find, a Schrade Ducks Unlimited stockman with oak covers and ringed brass bolsters I found in a Cordele, Georgia, pawn shop. I've also found another pawn shop that had numerous older pocket knives obviously from a collection. Over the last two months I have relieved them of several Old Timers and Uncle Henrys for very reasonable prices. When I get the photo posting procedure under control, I will eagerly bore you to tears with my babies. Until then, I'd like to thank y'all for all the knowledge you've unwittingly imparted to me until now.
Hi truck from Australia, ::welcome::
I like those Schrade Ducks Unlimited knives too... Ken
Attachments
Ducks and Ducks.jpg
HI FROM AUSTRALIA
A.A.P.N. # 5197: Member of Australian & U.S Blade Forums...KEN -
I collect Schrade knives - made in the U.S.A.- I like the 8OT
truck

Post by truck »

koldgold wrote:
Hi truck from Australia, ::welcome::
I like those Schrade Ducks Unlimited knives too... Ken
Thanks Ken. Even before I joined the forum I've admired your collection. It gives me something to shoot for!
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Here are five Schrades. From top: 1. Schrade Cut Co. 3.125" Imitation Pearl handled two blade. Never used or messed with. Factory Edge. 2. Schrade Cut Co. 3" Whittler. Never used factory edges and finish. 3. Schrade Cut Co. 2.875" Imitation Pearl two blade with secondary blade nail file. Tip bolsters. Never used factory edges and finish. 4. Schrade Cut Co. 3.0625" two blade EE. Never used factory edges and finish. 5. Schrade Walden 3" 1/2 Congress. Never used factory edges and finish. Lloyd
Attachments
DSCF1352.JPG
DSCF1353.JPG
DSCF1354.JPG
Lloyd
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Lloyd, beautiful collection there! ::tu:: ::tu::

Eric
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Wow ! Absolutely superb knives. Not easy to come by in this excellent condition.
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Those are real beauties, Lloyd! ::tu:: Thanks for showing them!

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”