What is Your Latest Old Schrade?

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: What is Your Latest Old Schrade?

Post by gsmith7158 »

I highly recommend that little jewel. It is invaluable. You might as well get six because you can't replace the batteries for what they cost! ::nod::
Attachments
45x microscope - 2.jpg
45x microscope - 2.jpg (26.74 KiB) Viewed 1605 times
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Thanks for the responses, fellows. I do have several magnifiers, though not the one Jerry posted. Those are some knice looking Schrades you posted for comparison, Paul. I like to think that I can distinguish bone from Delrin, but this knife has me questioning my ability. In the close up photo you can see pores which make me think bone.
Attachments
Schrade31.jpg
Schrade32.jpg
Mel
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

It is absolutely bone. Really nice knife, and pretty elusive in bone ::tu::
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I too like to think I can tell the difference but every now and then (such as in this case) I need some help.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:It is absolutely bone. Really nice knife, and pretty elusive in bone ::tu::

I have a few Delrin handled Schrades with the parallel lines in the bottom of the jigging, same as yours. I never realized that was found only in Delrin, but now that you bring it to my attention I have never seen that jigging on a bone handle. Thanks for pointing that out.
jerryd6818 wrote:I too like to think I can tell the difference but every now and then (such as in this case) I need some help.
The material and jigging are obviously different from my other 804s and Craftsman clones: I wanted a second opinion about the material. Some bone is a lot harder to be sure of than others, at least for me, and this is one of them.
Mel
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I wouldn't count on that being bone until I had looked at it with the 45x scope!
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

gsmith7158 wrote:I wouldn't count on that being bone until I had looked at it with the 45x scope!
You have almost convinced me ... I have always loved microscopes and telescopes, magnifiers and binoculars ... plenty of all of those around this house so why not one more!
Mel
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Dinadan wrote:
gsmith7158 wrote:I wouldn't count on that being bone until I had looked at it with the 45x scope!
You have almost convinced me ... I have always loved microscopes and telescopes, magnifiers and binoculars ... plenty of all of those around this house so why not one more!
Mel they are so doggone cheap What have you got to lose. You will be astounded at the detail it shows on bone and horn handles . Even my $65 USB microscope doesn't show the detail this little booger does.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
KnifeSlinger#81

gsmith7158 wrote:
Dinadan wrote:
Mel they are so doggone cheap What have you got to lose. You will be astounded at the detail it shows on bone and horn handles . Even my $65 USB microscope doesn't show the detail this little booger does.
How well does it show the details of a sharpened edge? It would be very interesting to see the effects of different grits and polished edges up close.
-Paul T.

gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:
gsmith7158 wrote:
Dinadan wrote: You have almost convinced me ... I have always loved microscopes and telescopes, magnifiers and binoculars ... plenty of all of those around this house so why not one more!
How well does it show the details of a sharpened edge? It would be very interesting to see the effects of different grits and polished edges up close.
I've never looked at an edge with it Paul but for $1.65 with free shipping you can't go wrong.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Well I had one in my bag and just checked the blade edge on my Empire jack. Spectacular!
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

This is pre-Delrin so by my definition it goes into this thread. Non-catalog 881, new and unused. Mother-of-toiletseat celluloid on mark side and sort of a creamy celluloid on the pile side. Evidence of a little gassing at some point (my guess is a long time ago). I keep it opened and away from the other children. Tang-stamped SCHRADE over WALDEN over N.Y.U.S.A. on mark side and no pattern number on pile side.
881 cell001.jpg
881 cell002.jpg
KnifeSlinger#81

That's a really nice one, I never get tired of schrade stockmans. I have the same knife (used) in bone, it was hard to find a pattern but I found mine as an 879 I think. It's the same as an 881 except the round threaded bolsters.
-Paul T.

Canvsbk

Post by Canvsbk »

Mother of toilet seat - that's the best thing I've heard all week! ::ds::
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:That's a really nice one, I never get tired of schrade stockmans. I have the same knife (used) in bone, it was hard to find a pattern but I found mine as an 879 I think. It's the same as an 881 except the round threaded bolsters.
You are right; it is an 879; I knew that; had a brain fxxt.
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Great 879. Im not a fan of that handle material but that knife is exceptional. I picked up this knife a couple months ago but have not had a chance to take any good pics. This is a quick cell phone pick while everyone in the house is pre occupied.
image.jpg
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

2017-02-25 19.22.47.jpg
Was the last one in. Schrade Walden N.Y. USA
Been a month or more but I have been working on it.
Getting it to look better and cut!
Looking for the magic penny!
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

JAMESC41001 wrote:Great 879. Im not a fan of that handle material but that knife is exceptional. I picked up this knife a couple months ago but have not had a chance to take any good pics. This is a quick cell phone pick while everyone in the house is pre occupied. image.jpg
That one is looking pretty minty, and these old Walden and CutCo 293s and 294s, are in my opinion two of the nicest renderings of a trapper sold by any company and any vintage. Really an excellent knife; thanks for showing it. ::tu::
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Just got this 895, 1957 to 1960. The seller told the world it was Delrin, but I had a hunch... It paid off this time.
wavyredbone001.jpg
wavyredbone002.jpg
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

JAMESC41001 wrote:Great 879. Im not a fan of that handle material but that knife is exceptional. I picked up this knife a couple months ago but have not had a chance to take any good pics. This is a quick cell phone pick while everyone in the house is pre occupied. image.jpg
James that is exceptional, and I love the bone.If you get tired of it let me know. ::tu::
Roger
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Thanks guys. The walk and talk on this one really is something. The half stops. I am lucky enough to be able to own this one in unused condition. And I have to agree they were at the top of their game. If this is what people mean by the golden age of cutlery I understand why. That 895 is a nice grab indeed. Looks like it made its way into good hands. Happy for that. Rodger I'm going to have to hang on to the trapper for a bit. Those brass liners and clean springs got a hold on me.
Jay
koldgold
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by koldgold »

I have a Schrade 895 and a 895UH.
The 895UH came in a brown boxed "Gift Set" with a "167UH Steelhead Fillet Knife"
I have them both posted in A.A.P.K's Knife Gallery.
The non-bone 895 has had 106 viewers and the 895UH has had 1211viewers.
My schrade 855 has had 136 viewers... Why so much interest in the 895UH. ?
HI FROM AUSTRALIA
A.A.P.N. # 5197: Member of Australian & U.S Blade Forums...KEN -
I collect Schrade knives - made in the U.S.A.- I like the 8OT
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Cal, i have a few S-W with the same reddish color in the bone which is not typical for Schrade bone. I bet the knives with this reddish bone were all(or mostly) made in the same time span.
kj
JAMESC41001

Post by JAMESC41001 »

Ken I would be interested in seeing an 895uh. I don't know how to navigate to the "knives display" where you have it posted. I did not know they made a uh with that # designation. Maybe that is the reason for all ghe attention it's getting. Love to see it.
Jay
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

JAMESC41001 wrote:Ken I would be interested in seeing an 895uh. I don't know how to navigate to the "knives display" where you have it posted. I did not know they made a uh with that # designation. Maybe that is the reason for all ghe attention it's getting. Love to see it.
Jay
I would like to see it also; perhaps it is on another website he calls AAPN. This website is AAPK.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”