CAMILLUS 70 Cattle Knife

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: CAMILLUS 70 Cattle Knife

Post by carrmillus »

.......very interesting, jerry!!1..thanks for posting this!!....... ::tu:: ................
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

So, while we are on Rogers bone... I have this 4 Line Camillus that I was told had Rogers bone on it. Its a Swell End jack with punch and spear. I look at the jigging on this one, versus the #70 in post #1 and it appears to be very different. I would imagine this knife is from the '30s.

Reading the BL article Jerry posted, it says that the Indian Trail worm groove bone is Rogers also. I have that style on an old Cattaraugus knife. Interesting!
Attachments
DSC_9231.JPG
DSC_9232.JPG
DSC_9230.JPG
Dave - the new guy. :lol:
NRA Life/Endowment
SteveC
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by SteveC »

I picked up one of these a few months ago. Not a lot of info out there on this model.

As found
20171019_141920.jpg
20171019_142004.jpg
After a little cleaning
20171028_080318.jpg
20180114_125559.jpg
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

That's a nice one SteveC. I missed out on one just the other night on the bay. Here's the catalog cut from the 1946 catalog.
Attachments
Camillus #70 from 1946 catalog.png
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
SteveC
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by SteveC »

Thanks Greg ! I was watching that one tovsee how much I it would go for. Sorry you missed it !
eveled

Post by eveled »

As of 1987 they still had that machine..........I wonder where it ended up.

I bet they didn't want to start it up because it was to dangerous. That is about the time osha was cracking down on factories and lots of great old equipment got scrapped due to a lack of guards, and safety switches.

I'd love to see that old machine and how it worked.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Are there any more 70's out there? I have several, one of which is "in the shop" for some new handles. Still looking for a nice bone one. :D

This is one I found that had factory edges and is unused but it had shrinky dink handles, so I had it rehandled in ebony to better suit this fine knife. Now it's perfect. I really like it.
IMG_1260.JPG
This is my first 70 that I found at a gun show and it's what put the pattern on my map. I like to carry it.
IMG_2519.JPG
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Mine is probably the worst one that is still usable, but I love it. It's the perfect size for me, and feels great in my hand. Handles have shrunk (to the point the shield could easily be dislodged) and two of the three blades have heavy wear. Tang stamp has nearly worn off the master blade. I have carried it so much, I had to touch it up before throwing it in my pocket today.

Did these survive past the short line stamp date range? I've never seen an example of the 70 with any other stamp.
e2N8TdY.jpg
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

cody6268 wrote:Mine is probably the worst one that is still usable, but I love it. It's the perfect size for me, and feels great in my hand. Handles have shrunk (to the point the shield could easily be dislodged) and two of the three blades have heavy wear. Tang stamp has nearly worn off the master blade. I have carried it so much, I had to touch it up before throwing it in my pocket today.

Did these survive past the short line stamp date range? I've never seen an example of the 70 with any other stamp.

e2N8TdY.jpg
That's not a bad one at all; I have seen some that were quite rough.

The short line stamp is the only one I've seen too. I can only find the 70 in the 1946 and 1948 catalogs. In 1946 it's listed with bone stag handles and 1948 is listed as stagged, which would probably be the shrinky dink stuff. 1954 is the next catalog on collectors of camillus after the 1948 catalog and the 1954 has no 70's.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
SteveC
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by SteveC »

cody6268 wrote:Mine is probably the worst one that is still usable, but I love it. It's the perfect size for me, and feels great in my hand. Handles have shrunk (to the point the shield could easily be dislodged) and two of the three blades have heavy wear. Tang stamp has nearly worn off the master blade. I have carried it so much, I had to touch it up before throwing it in my pocket today.

e2N8TdY.jpg

Yes, great size. Same frame as the Heavy Jacks #16 & #17 and also the army engineer knife. As nice as the smaller Junior Cattle knives are, like the Schrade 856 this bigger size just feels right in the hand.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

CheckSix wrote:So, while we are on Rogers bone... I have this 4 Line Camillus that I was told had Rogers bone on it. Its a Swell End jack with punch and spear. I look at the jigging on this one, versus the #70 in post #1 and it appears to be very different. I would imagine this knife is from the '30s.

Reading the BL article Jerry posted, it says that the Indian Trail worm groove bone is Rogers also. I have that style on an old Cattaraugus knife. Interesting!
......that sure looks like rogers bone to me!!......... ::tu:: ...................

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”