Camillus and Kutmaster serpentine stock knives

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
mtds

Camillus and Kutmaster serpentine stock knives

Post by mtds »

These two knives came into my hands recently and I thought they were so similar that a set of comparison pictures might interest Camillus fans. I think the Camillus is the newer of the two. They are almost twins in many ways. The Kutmaster does have a simple swedge on its clip blade and there is a slight difference in the color and jigging of the scales. How about helping me spot other differences? (In the picture of the springs, the Cam is on the right. In the other pictures the Cam is on the bottom.)
Attachments
Camillus 67 & Kutmaster a.JPG
Camillus 67 & Kutmaster b.JPG
Camillus 67 & Kutmaster c.JPG
Camillus 67 & Kutmaster d.JPG
Camillus 67 & Kutmaster e.JPG
Camillus 67 & Kutmaster f.JPG
FRJ

Re: Camillus and Kutmaster serpentine stock knives

Post by FRJ »

The Camillus appears to have a larger spring pin, but it could be just the way it's spun.
The Kutmaster appears to have larger cover pins.
The springs on the Camillus seem to be deeper, especially on the clip.
I think you have a deeper sheepsfoot on the Kutmaster.
A couple of nice looking slippies.
Joe
trail

Re: Camillus and Kutmaster serpentine stock knives

Post by trail »

mtds, it's interesting that you point out these similarities. I saw the same thing in the big hawksbills that both companies made (in Utica's case, still make) and postulated that Utica may have bought up some Camillus tooling at the bankruptcy sale. Here's the old thread:

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... ca#p148154

Whatever the circumstances, they both made some great knives, and Utica still does. Nothing will take out the sting of losing Camillus, but it's good to know that there is still a Great American Work Knife company.

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”