camillus #72-2 blade jackknife????

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

camillus #72-2 blade jackknife????

Post by carrmillus »

any one ever seen one like this???-ebay item #190684596207-looks identical to a #72 whittler, minus the blade on the small end-has the 3 line, short line mark-i'm wondering if this is one someone has removed the 3rd blade from-hard to tell from the photos????.....................
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: camillus #72-2 blade jackknife????

Post by jerryd6818 »

I contacted the seller this morning.

"In the mid to late '40s when this Camillus 72 was made, it was called the 'Carpenter's and Whittler's' knife and in addition to those beautiful bone handles it had three blades. There was a coping blade on the end opposite the two blades shown. Because you don't say, I can only assume the coping blade on this knife is broken off. To be accurate, the 72 is 3-5/8" long closed.

The 72 pattern is my favorite and currently I have 17 of them from various eras.

I hope this has been of some help. Thank you for your time. Good luck with your auction."

This is his (or her) answer:

"Dear jerryd68,

HELLO, THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION. I WENT BACK AND CHECKED THE KNIFE CLOSER AND YOU ARE RIGHT. I ADDED THE INFORMATION TO MY LISTING DESCRIPTION ABOUT THE THIRD BLADE. THANKS JWC

- jwc123456 "

Beautiful handles, eh? Shame the coping blade is broken off. I sent a link to the auction to Dale (orvet), thinking he might like to rehab the knife.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: camillus #72-2 blade jackknife????

Post by carrmillus »

jerryd6818 wrote:I contacted the seller this morning.

"In the mid to late '40s when this Camillus 72 was made, it was called the 'Carpenter's and Whittler's' knife and in addition to those beautiful bone handles it had three blades. There was a coping blade on the end opposite the two blades shown. Because you don't say, I can only assume the coping blade on this knife is broken off. To be accurate, the 72 is 3-5/8" long closed.

The 72 pattern is my favorite and currently I have 17 of them from various eras.

I hope this has been of some help. Thank you for your time. Good luck with your auction."

This is his (or her) answer:

"Dear jerryd68,

HELLO, THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION. I WENT BACK AND CHECKED THE KNIFE CLOSER AND YOU ARE RIGHT. I ADDED THE INFORMATION TO MY LISTING DESCRIPTION ABOUT THE THIRD BLADE. THANKS JWC

- jwc123456 "

Beautiful handles, eh? Shame the coping blade is broken off. I sent a link to the auction to Dale (orvet), thinking he might like to rehab the knife.

i thought maybe it was a standard #72 with that blade broken off, but you really couldn't tell from the pictures-thanks , jerry!!!...............................................

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”