Damn celluloid

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
Vit_213

Damn celluloid

Post by Vit_213 »

Due to some life circumstances, my collection did not have proper supervision for more than six months. And yesterday I found a very sad sight ::teary_eyes:: . All my knives from the Celluloid Abalone Handled series received corrosion damage of varying degrees. At the same time, there were no changes with my only knife from the Celluloid Tortoise Shell Handled series (this series was produced a year earlier) ::shrug:: .
All these knives were in the same conditions. Each was packed in a zip-lock plastic bag. The blade and spring of each knife was lubricated with oil.
I hate Camillus for making such beautiful knives from celluloid and 1095 Carbon steel ::dead_horse:: .
Attachments
IMG_3013.JPG
IMG_3014.JPG
IMG_3016.JPG
IMG_3017.JPG
IMG_3018.JPG
IMG_3019.JPG
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Damn celluloid

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

That's the thing with celluloid, it works perfectly fine up until the time it doesn't.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I avoid celluloid for a reason....

After one Buck Creek I had went bad in my collection (which was caught early on and immediately stripped of its handles), and a Boker (which unfortunately sat months, even years unnoticed, as I didn't know my Granddad had any cell handles--until I realized that one Boker was) caused a pile of work with my Granddad's collection, I banned myself from buying any celluloid handle knives aside from shell handles. In the time since, I've only got a single Remington (which I was given), and so far, it seems good. Apparently, the Purina Kutmasters are cell too, but no problem from that one either.

What is odd about these (and the Buck Creek, which was '90s, I think) is that they aren't old knives. Yet, there are nearly 100-year-old celluloid-handled knives that haven't gone off.
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

cody6268 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:24 pm Yet, there are nearly 100-year-old celluloid-handled knives that haven't gone off.
I also drew attention to this. I think that celluloid can vary either in composition or in the way it is made. And on this depends its tendency to self-destruction. Among the old knives, the weak ones have long since died.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

IMHO “packed in a zip-lock plastic bag” is probably one of the worst ways to store celluloid. It needs fresh air if possible.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Hey Vit, how did the rest of your Camillus Collections hold up in storage ?
JP
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:00 pm IMHO “packed in a zip-lock plastic bag” is probably one of the worst ways to store celluloid. It needs fresh air if possible.

Ken
I agree with you. So it was before, but it was a forced action, so as not to harm the rest of the knives (I have a lot of them).
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

Ripster wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:35 pm Hey Vit, how did the rest of your Camillus Collections hold up in storage ?
From what I managed to inspect, only these were affected.
wlf

Post by wlf »

I think that 90s celluloid on those Case Classics , Buck Creeks, Fight'n Roosters, and others was the very worst to gas out .
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

cody6268 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:24 pm In the time since, I've only got a single Remington (which I was given), and so far, it seems good.
Can you tell me what model it is?
Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

wlf wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:56 pm I think that 90s celluloid on those Case Classics , Buck Creeks, Fight'n Roosters, and others was the very worst to gas out .
I would add Winchesters to this list, which were assembled at the Queen factory along with Case Classic. Everything I saw on ebay had signs of corrosion.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I remember when I first joined AAPK, some member had a whole collection of Fight'N Roosters go up in smoke. I learned my lesson then.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Vit_213 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:02 am
cody6268 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:24 pm In the time since, I've only got a single Remington (which I was given), and so far, it seems good.
Can you tell me what model it is?
It's an R6465 sleeveboard penknife from 1921 to 1924 according to its tang stamps.
IMG_20230117_203940.jpg
IMG_20230117_204002.jpg
IMG_20230117_204019.jpg
IMG_20230117_204013.jpg
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:00 pm IMHO “packed in a zip-lock plastic bag” is probably one of the worst ways to store celluloid. It needs fresh air if possible.

Ken
Yep, I gave my only celluloid knife plenty of fresh air when I found it ruined some of my best knives.
I slung it out the kitchen window. :lol:
Tim
bladebuddy

Post by bladebuddy »

I’ll chime in on this thread and share my experience. My cell knives are all stored in the same dark drawer with silicone packets. The drawer is lined with green felt that I believe is treated for silverware storage. The cabinet for this drawer is in a cool dark room in my basement. We run a dehumidifier in the warmer months.

These cell knives are all 50 years or so old and seem stable. I’ve read some other posts on AAPK that referred to modern knives from the eighties and nineties that have outgassed. The Kutmaster Purina knives are one example of a more unstable cell handles. I had Glennbad rehandle mine.

I agree with Ken, cell knives need airflow. Storing in plastic bags traps the corrosive gasses that destroy metals. ::dang::

After all that , you can’t beat some of colors and combinations of the older celluloid knife handles. Just my opinion, Steve B. ::super_happy::
Steve B.
Keep your edge sharp, otherwise you just can't cut it.

Looking for Carrier Cutlery and early Robeson with Elmira tang stamps.
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

It's too heartbreaking to watch it happen. I won't own a celluloid knife ever again.
Carl B.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

That's awful. Glad that not many knives were affected.

The one knife I own that is known to be celluloid is stable. One that might be celluloid needs new covers anyway, and the other two that might be are of little value.

This topic did get me to thinking...newer celluloid seems much more prone to outgassing. Did the older celluloid contain a component that helped keep it more stable, but has since been banned or otherwise fallen into disfavor?
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Rookie wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:40 pm It's too heartbreaking to watch it happen. I won't own a celluloid knife ever again.
Nothing wrong with having celluloid handled knives (although I would not pay a lot for one). I have quite a few, You just have to practice "apartheid".
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I LOVE CELLULOID! ::ds::
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

I WAS NOT TOO HAPPY ABOUT CELLULIOD ::td:: when I found out a cigar box full of knives ended up like this... :x
Attachments
DSCF1079.JPG
DSCF1083.JPG
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
eveled

Post by eveled »

Lucky for me, I never liked the look of celluloid knife handles. So never acquired any.

I feel for those who have been victims of its destruction.

They make good rehandle projects.
dundak

Post by dundak »

wlf wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:56 pm I think that 90s celluloid on those Case Classics , Buck Creeks, Fight'n Roosters, and others was the very worst to gas out .
Those Black Box celluloid Winchesters were even worse IMHO
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Anyone know if this Henckels Trapper has celluloid covers? The covers are shrinking, the ends are curling up, but so far no out gassing.
IMG_5054.JPG
IMG_5055.JPG
IMG_5056.JPG
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:15 pm Anyone.....
Maybe an answer here?
https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... .php?f=100
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:15 pm Anyone know if this Henckels Trapper has celluloid covers? The covers are shrinking, the ends are curling up, but so far no out gassing.

IMG_5054.JPG
IMG_5055.JPG
IMG_5056.JPG
I hope not... that is one BEAUTIFUL knife!!! ::tu:: ::tu::
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”