Need help with this knife

The Queen Cutlery Company manufactured knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for 96 years. The company opened its only factory there in 1919 and commenced to make some of the best US crafted cutlery you will find. Unfortunately, the Titusville manufacturing plant closed down in 2018.
PawnstarWv

Need help with this knife

Post by PawnstarWv »

I have a Queen knife that I got and I cant find much out about it. It is a single blade, has Queen Steel #28 etched onto blade, has the Q symbol on the tang with 83 beside it which I would assume to mean a 1989 model. If anyone has any info please help me out.. Thank you much, Matt
Attachments
IMG_5187.JPG
IMG_5188.JPG
IMG_5189.JPG
IMG_5190.JPG
***** Don't judge me by who I used to be, that man is not who I am now *****
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Need help with this knife

Post by jerryd6818 »

Queen #28 Large Jack 4½" closed (Sometimes called English Jack like the #29) made in 1983.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
bdev

Re: Need help with this knife

Post by bdev »

First let me say that although I collect Queen knives, I'm far from being an expert.
All of the Queen 28's that I've seen have been 2 blade knives, a clip main and a pen secondary.
Also, I've never seen a Queen knife of that era, 1983, with Ebony handles (they look like Ebony from your pics).
I don't believe Queen used Ebony on the 28.
It is possible that you have a 28 that has been re-worked into a single blade with replacement handles.
If it is, whoever did it did a nice job.
I checked the Queen website for their 1983 catalog but they don't have a PDF. Just a supplemental sheet of that year.
Also, nothing in their 1982 catalog.
Here's the link should you want to check it out...

http://www.queencutlery.com/Historical_Catalogs.html

Having said all that, it is possible that Queen did make a single blade 28 with wood handles but I believe they would have given it a different pattern number, maybe 28a or something like that. They have done that in the past with other patterns.

Bruno
Queen City. My favorite! Bruno. ::tu::

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”