What does the "M" mean?

Boker specific research and history discussions, Questions & answers, Picture sharing
cody6268

What does the "M" mean?

Post by cody6268 »

A couple months back, a friend gave me a Boker 9215M hawkbill in black Delrin. I see plenty on Ebay without the "M", that lack bails. He said at one point, this was a "The Miner" edition that had the engraving wore off, but all those to me seem like they were newer knives--as in the '80s and later. I don't think there was ever such a thing as a Boker USA "The Miner" hawkbill, all I've seen are Tree Brand Solingen, or Plus China.

So, does the "M" denote it having a bail?
rangerbluedog

Re: What does the "M" mean?

Post by rangerbluedog »

Boker seems to have had a long-running relationship with the American coal miner. They have made miner commemorative knives on several occasions - sourced from all over the world.

There was a commemorative set made in 1975:
itemimages-ddd0107.jpg
Miner's Commemorative Set MS-1 (includes 3 knives).1975 Limited Edition Collectors Item.
Commemorates important events in the history of the American Coal Miner:
"Birth of a Union"-3 blades, main blade embelished with gold brushed background, reads "Birth of a Union" with symbols of shovel,ax,and hardhat. Handle has been specially designed with brass emblems depicting a miner with pick ax,1890 and the Boker Tree/Solingen.
"The Beginning"-4 blades, brush background reads"The Beginning" with symbols of coal car and miners hardhat. Handle has hands shaking with copy 8 Hour Day, 1890 and Boker Tree symbol.
"Struggle to Organize"-3 blades, main blade brush background reads "Struggle to Organize" with symbals of hardhat and cement knife. Handle has two figures together shaking hands and says " United We Stand-Divided We Fall" and Boker Tree trademark.
The tang is stamped Boker Soligen Germany with a tree icon on one side and the following numbers on the other- "Birth of a Union" #6066 M, "The Beginning" #5464 M, "Struggle to Organize" #7474 M.
Handles made of rich dark Delrin
Blades created from the highest quality cutlery steel.
Bolsters lining and pins are made of gleaming brass.
Knives are the following sizes: "Birth of a Union" 4" when closed, "The Beginning" 3-5/8" when closed, "Struggle to Organize" 4" when closed.
Matching serial numbers.
Walnut finish presentation case is 5-1/2" x 9-1/2" x 1-3/8" with round gold colored Boker Tree plaque, fitted with polished brass plated hinges,corner trim and latch.

But I don't think this is what you are talking about.

There was also a USA made Boker pruner/hawkbill that was made later, in the early 1980s. Here's a picture of one from a 1980 catalog.
This is probably the one you have.
1980 miner.jpg
1980 miner.jpg (78.04 KiB) Viewed 2588 times
After production ended in the USA, these were made in Solingen Germany from 1990 - 1995.
Take note of the description of the bail in the 1994 catalog image below.

Nowadays BOKER PLUS is making a new MINER knife, that is sourced from ASIA.
boker-plus-the-miner-hawkbill-12.jpg
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

One more pic, with your kind indulgence.
This is an example of an early eighties model, made in USA.
This is what your blade etching would have looked like.
s-l1600.jpg
-Blue
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Wow, rangerbluedog, you certainly know some things about Boker. Not my thread but thanks for posting.
kj
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Thanks Joe,
I'm afraid it's become an obsession.
-Blue

Return to “Boker Knife Collector's Forum”