I need help with this BOKER USA 9815 knife I have

Boker specific research and history discussions, Questions & answers, Picture sharing
pukatan101

I need help with this BOKER USA 9815 knife I have

Post by pukatan101 »

My father gave me this knife 22 years ago,and I have not been able to find out any information on it. I would really like to know where it might have been manufactured and an approximate date. The pattern is 9815 and is marked Boker USA! I have browsed hundreds of photos and found some similar, but not exactly like it. If anyone can assist me in my search, it would greatly be appreciated!
Attachments
Boker USA 9815
Boker USA 9815
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: I need help with this BOKER USA 9815 knife I have

Post by jerryd6818 »

The pattern is 'English Jack' and as the tang stamp indicates, it was made in the USA. That tang stamp was the last and most common of the ones used on USA knives and it was in use from 1945-1983.

Boker USA knives were made, first in Maplewood NJ and after the company was sold to J. Wiss & Sons which in turn became part of the Cooper Group, the Maplewood plant was closed and production was moved to Apex NC in about 1978. Production of Boker USA knives was discontinued in 1984.

If your dad gave the knife to you 22 years ago, that would be in 1990. At that time the knife was already, at least, six years old.

This is my Boker 'English Jack'. As you can see, the shield is different. Even though mine also has a Boker U.S.A. tang stamp, IMO yours with the federal shield is an older knife so was possibly made in the Maplewood plant prior to 1978. Just a guess on my part.
Attachments
Boker English Jack.jpg
Boker English Jack Tang Stamp.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
pukatan101

Post by pukatan101 »

Thank you Jerry D for the information! I am 50 years old now and when I was younger, I would get this knife from my fathers dresser drawer and whittle with it! It was old looking back then and have always been curious about its origin! Thanks again for your help!
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Jerry is spot on about the tang stamp and place of manufacture. One additional note: The federal shield on yours was used only 'til the mid 1950s! ::tu::
I'm gonna get one of those some day - as soon as I can swipe one off ebay for less than $20...
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
pukatan101

Post by pukatan101 »

Should I try and clean this knife up, or will it affect its value down the road? I have had it in stored in the gun cabinet since it was given to me and have done nothing to it but look at it! I am of course new on this site and don't have alot of knowledge on vintage knives! I am very interested in started a collection, but don't want to learn from my mistakes! Hahaa!

Return to “Boker Knife Collector's Forum”