Boker USA 8593

Boker specific research and history discussions, Questions & answers, Picture sharing
313 Mike

Boker USA 8593

Post by 313 Mike »

I just picked up this Boker USA 8593. Researched it a bit online and found it listed in a 1975 Boker catalog with the following description:

Medium Premium Stock Knife
Clip, Spey, and Leather Punch Blades
Improved Stag type handles
1085 Carbon steel
suggested retail price $8.95

I really like the knife, solid construction, well made, lots of snap left and the blades will take an edge nicely. I have a couple of questions I'm hoping some folks here would be willing to chime in on.
What is the purpose of the "spiraling" on the leather punch blade? Should the punch be sharpened at the tip or should it be pointed but dull at the tip?
When did Boker first make the 8593? Was if first offered in the 1975 catalog that I found it in, or was it offered previously to that? Did they continue to make it into the latter years?
What is the working difference between 1085 carbon steel and the more common 1095 carbon steel?
And lastly, does anyone have a spare shield they would be willing to sell me for this knife? I really like it and would love to carry it, but I gotta find me a shield first!
Thanks much for any info you are willing to share, I am trying to learn as much as I can and I know there are some Boker experts on this site.
Mike
Boker USA 8593 001.jpg
Boker USA 8593 002.jpg
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
rangerbluedog

Re: Boker USA 8593

Post by rangerbluedog »

Nice. Wouldn't you love to score one at the 1975 MSRP? I know I would.
I'll dig in some of my older catalogs to see if I can find that pattern, but for now I can tell you that there is very little difference between 1085 and 1095. 1085 has 0.85% nominal carbon in the iron mixture. 1095 has 0.95% carbon. Everything else being equal, the 1095 can theoretically be heat treated to a higher hardness. But theoretically, it also makes it a little more brittle, and more difficult to sharpen.
As for the missing shield, contact Terry at BOKER USA. If you send in the knife he will most likely replace the shield for free.
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Hey Blue, thanks for the great info on the blade steel...I kinda figured they were pretty similar. Dale also suggested that I try Terry in repairs at Boker USA for the new shield, I sent him an email and hope to hear back from him soon!
Do you happen to know the reasoning behind the spiraling on the punch blade?

And yes, I sure would like to travel back in time with a big ol' wad of cash and stock up on vintage knives at their original prices before they were vintage!

Mike
Mike

rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Hey Mike,
I did a little diggin':
Boker USA made the 8593 pattern as early as 1950. I found a pic in a 1950 catalog. However, back then the punch blade was smooth.
I found another one in the 1967 catalog, also with a smooth punch.
The earliest I can find one with the spiraled punch is in 1972-73 catalog. That would make sense, because your knife has a delrin handle, and BOKER USA used delrin handles primarily beginning in the mid 1960s all through the 1970s.
I don't really know the purpose of it, other than it looks cool. Some folks might say it cuts leather holes better that way, but...... who knows?
I hope this helps. Post some pics when you get the new shield. Looks good! ::tu::
Attachments
1950 catalog
1950 catalog
1972 catalog
1972 catalog
-Blue
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Mike, here's another one in an ad from 1982:
Attachments
1982Bunyun.JPG
-Blue
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Thanks for posting those ads Blue, that last one is GREAT! You can tell the advertising people really put some thought and creativity into that one, very very nice indeed.
Regarding the missing shield situation on my 8593, I got in touch with Terry at Boker USA, he was most eager to help and sent me out a new 9mm shield which he thought would be the right fit...unfortunately it is a hair too large and doesn't fit. I responded to him hoping perhaps he could send me a smaller one and received the following reply:

Sir,

Unfortunately there is no other size to send you. There is no difference between the Boker USA and Solingen shields, they were all the same size. We used to have 13 different size shields, but over the years, it has been narrowed down to 4. One of the ones that was discontinued was the 7 & 8 mm shields, which is most likely what yours would take. I no longer have those, so I will not be able to assist you with a different one.

So it seems as if the good people at Boker USA won't be able to set me up with the appropriate shield afterall. I sure do appreciate their efforts, they responded to me right away and one out to me inside of a week! Too bad it's too large.
So once again, if anyone here has a spare 7 or 8mm shield that they would be willing to part with, please keep me in mind, as I would love to carry this knife and show it off in it's original glory!
Thanks much,
Mike
Mike

wv trapper I

Post by wv trapper I »

Hi Mike,

Did you find a 7 or 8 mm shield? I have an 8 mm but is a Solington shield with the tree on it. Let me know if you can use it.

Joe
"Pray for our Troops everyday"
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Hey Thanks Joe! I am in the process of taking Muskrat Man's advice and filing down the one I have to see if I can get it even and make it fit! If I somehow screw it up though, I would love to take you up on your offer. I will let know when I finish it up. Thanks again for the reply...
Mike
By the way, the shiel that Terry from Boker USA sent me is the Solingen one with the tree also. I know it's not the original one for the knife, but if I can make it work, I'll be a happy camper either way!
Mike

313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Well, I took the advice of Muskrat Man and used a file on the shield I received from Boker, and tried to evenly file down around the edges until it fit in the recess on the handle. Once I got that done I found that it sat up to high so I had to file down some of the back of the shield as well so it would sit flush with the handle. Then used a bit of lock-tite to glue it down....and yes I know it is a Solingen shield on a Boker USA knife, but it's all I had to work with, and I think it looks good, better than rolling shield-less. Here she is... (forgive the mislabeled pics)
Mike
Colonial blue swirl 001.jpg
Colonial blue swirl 004.jpg
Colonial blue swirl 005.jpg
Mike

rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Hey, that looks great Mike!
Don't worry about the Solingen shield and BOKER/USA tang stamp. There were some knives made in Solingen in the mid to late 1980s, using old materials from the USA after US production ceased. You see them on ebay from time to time. They will have the BOKER USA tang stamp, but the blade etch says "Treebrand / made in Germany".
So now you have the rare USA/Solingen TRANSITION model! ::tu::
-Blue
wv trapper I

Post by wv trapper I »

Good job Mike, I'm with Blue I wouldn't worry about the Solingen shield, I have several with it also, looks way better than the hole.

Joe
"Pray for our Troops everyday"
robinetn

Post by robinetn »

I doubt that it was the original purpose for the spiral punch , but I have successfully bored holes in 3/4" thick pine to install knobs on showcase doors with one when I didn't have the proper tool available . The spiral lifts the shavings out of the hole while boring .

Bob
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Thanks for the positive feedback on my shield job guys!..and Bob, that makes perfect sense about the spiraling on the punch helping to lift out shavings of the item being bored out. I've found the punch blade to also be of good use for digging dried mud out of the tracks on the bottom of my shoes or boots before entering the house....once again, not the designed purpose but it gets the job done!
Mike
Mike

robinetn

Post by robinetn »

313 Mike wrote:Thanks for the positive feedback on my shield job guys!..and Bob, that makes perfect sense about the spiraling on the punch helping to lift out shavings of the item being bored out. I've found the punch blade to also be of good use for digging dried mud out of the tracks on the bottom of my shoes or boots before entering the house....once again, not the designed purpose but it gets the job done!
Mike
My wife says that the mud seems to come out easier when I let it dry then go "tramping" through the house leaving it for her to vacuum up ! ::uc::

Bob

Return to “Boker Knife Collector's Forum”