Skinny Tree

Boker specific research and history discussions, Questions & answers, Picture sharing
MikeEngland

Skinny Tree

Post by MikeEngland »

I have two Bokers. Both are 8348 pattern, made in USA. THey have slight differences that make me think that one might be much older than the other. THe bigest dif being that one has delrin handles and the other is bone. I'm assuming that the bone is older, but I assume. What I'm really wondering is if anybody is familiar with the skinny tree stamp. The back side of the main blade tang is stamped with a tree and pattern no. on the delrin model, the tree is fuller, symetrical, and has a thicker trunk. The bone model tree is non symetrical, less full, and has a skinny trunk. Can anybody tell me anything about these veriations? Ill try to get some pics tonite.
gotyerknifeonya?
Ramrod

Re: Skinny Tree

Post by Ramrod »

I dont know anything about them, but found these...
Mark
tree1.jpg
tree2.jpg
tree brand.jpg
tree brand.jpg (15.7 KiB) Viewed 3747 times
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Hey Mike,
generally speaking, the bone handled knife is older than the delrin - but not always.
and generally speaking, the "skinny" tree tang stamps are older than the fuller tree tang stamps - but there are exceptions.
As you can see, there aren't many absolutes when dating the old Bokers. But if you have some pics to share, the handle material, the tang stamp, the tree stamp, and the tree shield can all be used collectively to get you within a 10 year span.
I can probably help with some pics to study.
http://www.iknifecollector.com/profiles ... story-more
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
MikeEngland

Post by MikeEngland »

here's about the best pics I could get under the dining room celing light.
Attachments
P1000394.JPG
P1000396.JPG
gotyerknifeonya?
MikeEngland

Post by MikeEngland »

well I looked at those shields and now I think I don't have the slightest clue as to how old these guys are. ::shrug::
The one on the bottom, which I believe is the delrin, I found with no shield. I sent it in to Boker and they gave it the tree w/ registered shield.
The one on top, which I think is the bone, has the shield with 'Tree Brand' under the tree.
They may not be as old as I first figured, (thought they might be 60's ish) but they sure are nicely crafted knives that I am proud to carry.
gotyerknifeonya?
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Aw man Mike, I just posted a long detailed response and my computer died on me.
I'll try to replicate my great wisdom from before, but I doubt I'll be as eloquent this time around.
In short, the knife on top is most likely circa 1982. The "TREE BRAND" shield was only in use for a couple of years, just before Cooper Tools ceased US production of Boker knives. The handles are probably delrin. I have two knives from 1982 with the same skinny tree tang stamp. Also look at the blade grind on the top knife. It is kind of a semicircle, kind of like CASE's "new grind" in 1984. This is typical of US made Boker knives in the early 1980s.
The knife on bottom is circa late 1950s - mid 1970s. Boker pretty much stopped using the swedged blade soon after 1975. The ringed bolsters also went away on this pattern between 1975-1980. The Tree shield with the trademark 'r' is most likely not the proper one for your knife. I'm pretty sure yours was made before 1975. Terry at Boker most likely just found a shield that was the proper diameter, because the shields without the trademark symbol are no longer being made. (sorry TJT!)
The handles are of the same color and jigging pattern as the bone handles from the early 1960s and the delrin handles up to 1970. So I would say take a closer look at the handles to determine if they are truly bone or delrin. If they are bone, your bottom knife is very early 1960s. If delrin, it is from circa 1962-1970.
I hope this helps. As always with the Boker brand, take this guesstimate with a grain of salt!
-Blue
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Here are a couple of pics to compare.
My 8348 is from 1976-1981. Note different blade grind, but tree is the same.
The 9885 is the only tree stamp I've seen other than yours, with the third branch growing up from the center of the trunk. Mine is from 1962 and has a delrin handle. Note the similar handle coloring.
Attachments
P1011015.JPG
P1011013.JPG
P1011014.JPG
-Blue
Cutty

Post by Cutty »

Hey guys/gals any ideas on dating this Boker USA.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230749015429?ss ... 1555.l2649
I dig half stops!!

"GOTTA DO WHATCHA GOTTA DO, SO THAT YOU GET TO DO, WHATCHA WANNA DO"
My Grandad.
God rest his soul.

Brian
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Boker made the 9885 pattern with "pyralin pearl" from the mid 1950s up at least until 1982.
If the shield on that one is original, it is definitely pre-1975.

Just guessin, I'd say early 1970s.
pearl.jpg
pearl.jpg (42.71 KiB) Viewed 3672 times
-Blue
trail

Post by trail »

Here are some skinny trees. The old barlow is my guess 1960s or earlier, the stock knife is from the 1970s and the Arbolito is quite recent. I learned from Blue that the skinny tree knives are older, I think the Arbolito is just a special case.
Attachments
boker_barlow_bolster.jpg
boker_alamogordo_tang_3_scaled.jpg
boker_arbolito_tang.jpg
Cutty

Post by Cutty »

Thanks rangerbludog ::tu::
Anybody have any idea how old this one is?
Attachments
boker 002.JPG
boker 004.JPG
I dig half stops!!

My Grandad.
God rest his soul.

Brian
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

I'll sound like a broken record, but I'm gonna say early 1970s again.
The tang stamp has been used on German made Bokers since the 1960s.
I've seen that exact same pattern in the 1972 and 1975 catalogs. The next oldest catalog I have is 1980, and they are not shown in that one. I think the handles are delrin, and that would make it newer than 1962 or so.
If the handles are bone, it is early 1960s.
Attachments
Here's a clip from the 1972 catalog
Here's a clip from the 1972 catalog
congress.JPG (44.48 KiB) Viewed 3628 times
-Blue
Cutty

Post by Cutty »

Thanks Again ::tu:: ::tu::
I dig half stops!!

My Grandad.
God rest his soul.

Brian

Return to “Boker Knife Collector's Forum”