Help with my Boker

Boker specific research and history discussions, Questions & answers, Picture sharing
bus

Help with my Boker

Post by bus »

First of all I wanted to say thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum. I have learned alot already thanks to those who have posted here.

I came across this site trying to find more information about the knife I recently inherited from my grandfather. Thanks to the information I have found on this site I believe it is a Boker Stockman 7474.

My first question is if someone can help me with how old it is? I am guessing, just from memory and what I know of my grandfather, it is of a 1960's - 1970's vintage. Is this an accurate guess?

Next question is what can/should I do to clean it up? I am not interested in ever selling it or sticking it in a display case to admire from afar. What I want is to carry it as my grandfather did for everyday use. So far I have removed most of the surface rust with a pencil eraser and given it a bath in mineral oil and wiped it down with clean paper towels. I was going to get it professionally sharpened and leave the rest as is, but if I could clean it up more without hurting it that would be great.

Some pictures below...
Attachments
Tang stamp
Tang stamp
ClipBlade.jpg
OpenShield.jpg
Open.jpg
gino

Re: Help with my Boker

Post by gino »

Welcome Bus. Acording to Goins with that tang marking it was made after 1970 ( I am guessing in the 70's).
Great knife! If you dont have skills, I would have it cleaned up by someone that does and carry it every day like you plan. There are a few fellows here that do that kinda thing.
Looks like its in nice condition other than needing a cleaning.
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Gino hit it.
German Bokers used that handle material in the 1970s. Compare your knife to the handle material used on these German Boker LTD editions from the early 1970s.
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... 60&t=22035
You are correct on the pattern also.
One other thing you may try on the surface rust. Use the pointy end of the pencil. The pencil lead/graphite seems to erase the rust. AAPK member OWD WULLIE taught me that trick, IIRC.

Nice old knife to carry, and remember Grandpa. You will find the carbon steel blades easy to sharpen.
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
bus

Post by bus »

Thanks for the confirmation on year! I know it's not all that important, but it adds to the sentimental value for me.
rangerbluedog wrote:One other thing you may try on the surface rust. Use the pointy end of the pencil. The pencil lead/graphite seems to erase the rust. AAPK member OWD WULLIE taught me that trick, IIRC.
I think I remember reading about the pencil led trick either on this site or another similar site. Just gave it a try and it definitely helped remove the the remainder of the surface rust. There are still some ugly black spots on the blades, but much better. Thanks!
Aimus Moses

Post by Aimus Moses »

bus, you could contact Boker USA and get a shield to go in the handle to replace the one that is missing. Carry it with pride. ::tu:: Those Bokers have great blade steel and are really good EDC knives.

Aimus
bus

Post by bus »

Aimus Moses wrote:bus, you could contact Boker USA and get a shield to go in the handle to replace the one that is missing.
Thanks Aimus! I'll definitely give them a call. The missing shield was really bugging me, but I just assumed I would need to find a donor knife and that would be too much hassle.

Man, you guys are great! Thanks for all the advice. Keep it coming. :D
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Mailing address;
Boker USA Inc
Attn: Repair Dept
1550 Balsam St
Lakewood, CO 80214
Please include your name, address, phone number, and reason for return.
Phone: 1-800-992-6537 ext. 21
Email; repair @ bokerusa.com

Or send a PM to AAPK member TJT. He is the repair/customer service/knife designer guy for Boker USA.
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com

Return to “Boker Knife Collector's Forum”