Boker - Is there a pattern to the pattern numbers?

Boker specific research and history discussions, Questions & answers, Picture sharing
rangerbluedog

Boker - Is there a pattern to the pattern numbers?

Post by rangerbluedog »

There may be a resource out there already with this information, but I'm not aware of it. In looking at Boker pattern numbers, I'm sure there is a method to it somehow. I was looking at the two-blade jacks I have: pattern number 84 has a sheepfoot main blade, pattern number 85 has a razor main blade.
When I look at the barlow style bokers: 492 (spear), 493 (clip), 494 (sheepfoot), 495 (razor).
Now I'm starting to see a trend.
Does the first set of numbers indicate the frame style and the last number indicate the blade type? Before I set out to create a pattern list, is there one out there already?
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
Hawke

Re: Boker - Is there a pattern to the pattern numbers?

Post by Hawke »

rangerbluedog wrote:.... I was looking at the two-blade jacks I have: pattern number 84 has a sheepfoot main blade, pattern number 85 has a razor main blade.
When I look at the barlow style bokers: 492 (spear), 493 (clip), 494 (sheepfoot), 495 (razor).
Now I'm starting to see a trend.
Good show Ranger!
...and good question!

Boy what an asset Terry is here uh!
A Scripto Vu-Lighter Collector
Come by and visit
Hawke's Trading Post
Hawke's Boker Notes
thegreedygulo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by thegreedygulo »

That is a good question Ricky. In the examples you used you are correct that the first set of numbers indicates the model number while the last number indicates the blade type.

In a lot of Boker's knives though this is not the case. In some instances the first two or three numbers indicates the pattern of the knife and/or the number or type of blades while the last number indicates handle material. This is a trend I've noticed in Boker knives that are produced with various handle materials. It seems that knife models ending with a 5 (such as a model 225) are always stag, models ending in 7 (such as a model 227) are always pearl. Wood, Bone & delrin handled knives can end in 0, 2, 4, 6 or 8 depending on the pattern of the knife (examples: model 220, model 5452, model 7474, model 6066 or model 7588). I only have one knife whose pattern number ends in a 1 (model 221) and it is a metal handled knife and the only pattern numbers I have ending in a 9 are models 229 & 239 which are cracked ice celluloid handles.

Here's some examples of the above:
Attachments
Though this particular knife does not have 220 etched on its blade, it is indeed a 220 pattern with bone handles. It does not have an etch because it is an older 220 model. I didn't have a picture loaded of one that has a 220 etch.
Though this particular knife does not have 220 etched on its blade, it is indeed a 220 pattern with bone handles. It does not have an etch because it is an older 220 model. I didn't have a picture loaded of one that has a 220 etch.
221 pattern with Metal handles.
221 pattern with Metal handles.
225 pattern with Stag handles.
225 pattern with Stag handles.
227 pattern with pearl handles.
227 pattern with pearl handles.
5452 pattern with bone handles.
5452 pattern with bone handles.
5455 pattern with stag handles.
5455 pattern with stag handles.
5457 with pearl handles.
5457 with pearl handles.
7474 pattern with delrin handles.
7474 pattern with delrin handles.
7474 pattern with bone handles.
7474 pattern with bone handles.
7475 pattern with stag handles. I have never seen this pattern with pearl handles.
7475 pattern with stag handles. I have never seen this pattern with pearl handles.
A pocket knife is still an intimate personal possession of the individual who carries it and consequently deserves the best of materials, finish and workmanship in its production. (Quoted from Boker's 1928 cutlery catalog).
thegreedygulo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by thegreedygulo »

Here's a few more examples of the above topic.
Attachments
230 pattern with bone handles.
230 pattern with bone handles.
235 pattern with stag handles.
235 pattern with stag handles.
237 pattern with pearl handles.
237 pattern with pearl handles.
S239 pattern with cracked ice celluloid handles.
S239 pattern with cracked ice celluloid handles.
7588 pattern with delrin handles.
7588 pattern with delrin handles.
7585 pattern with stag handles.
7585 pattern with stag handles.
280 pattern with bone handles.
280 pattern with bone handles.
285 pattern with stag handles. Notice that unlike the 280 which has a coping blade, the 285 has two pen blades.
285 pattern with stag handles. Notice that unlike the 280 which has a coping blade, the 285 has two pen blades.
6066 pattern with delrin handles.
6066 pattern with delrin handles.
229 pattern with cracked ice celluloid handles.
229 pattern with cracked ice celluloid handles.
A pocket knife is still an intimate personal possession of the individual who carries it and consequently deserves the best of materials, finish and workmanship in its production. (Quoted from Boker's 1928 cutlery catalog).
caster

Post by caster »

This is a test and my first time to try to post. Please forgive me.

Return to “Boker Knife Collector's Forum”