Yankee Jack.

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
johnny twoshoes

Yankee Jack.

Post by johnny twoshoes »

It's hard to beat a two bladed jack knife as the quintessential pocket knife, be it a serpentine frame, an equal end, bullet end... ect. Great Eastern already has some wonderful jack knives to choose from, but they upped the ante with the #77 Yankee Jack. Admittedly this pattern didn't capture my attention when it first arrived and even after it started popping up on the forums I wasn't sold, I'd say for the most part because the frame was commonly bladed with a spear point, I am not the biggest fan of the spear point.

Last weekend I had the wonderful opportunity to see Christine Tucker and Patti (I don't know your last name... yet) from Great Eastern Cutlery. They were set up for a show locally and had a great selection of knives available! When I first approached the table this knife caught my eye immediately. Christine had a couple of other knives for me to look at, but this one was calling me.

jmh58 (John) was also at the show! It's always good to catch up with fellow forum members, but John and I have a knife trading history so it was even better. I think he may have snagged himself a good one before I even got there! Still sorry I didn't get to say my goodbyes with John and talk a little more about life!

I went down there with the intention of snagging a #22 Magnum mini gunstock, unfortunately the day prior it had been sold... or, looking back, fortunately. So, after perusing the knives they had and having the #77 burn a hole into my head, I couldn't resist, but to ask to see it. It got into my hand and it was love at first site! The stag just felt really good in my hand and the spear point wasn't bothering me at all. To confirm it as a quality choice, my mom inspected the knife, (she is a knife nut, but chooses to live vicariously through me) indeed it was a good one! With that the knife was mine!

And without further ado.
IMG_3528.jpg
Really thick popcorn stag that just feels great in the hand!
IMG_3522.jpg
At 3 3/4 closed this is what I would call a medium sized knife. It's got some heft to it and is built for the long haul!
IMG_3560.jpg
This knife hasn't left my pocket since I acquired it. I had some water issues at the house and long story short I ended up in a 3' deep hole. I had to make a makeshift ladle to get some water out and this is the knife I had on my. My hands were muddy as can be, but it's a tool! The mud got caked into the stag, but it remained grippy! A hot water and some Hoppe's 9 and I was good to go.
Little patine started.
IMG_3580.jpg
There she be, the #77 Yankee Jack.
IMG_3587.jpg

P.S.
Honestly there was a #73 there in cocobola wood that had my attention too! It was the best example of the wood I've seen! John was the devil on my shoulder trying to get both of them to follow me home.... should have listened.
wlf

Re: Yankee Jack.

Post by wlf »

It's Mrs. Proper Caleb,don't know if I spelled it right. Nice knife,but I'd rather see a picture of your lovely Mom or Chris or Patti. :)

Kaleb is this the same John and his brother who are at GEC's rendezvous early each morning ?
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
J1890

Post by J1890 »

I agree with you. Those great knives. I am working towards one with the green handles.
Great stuff. Wish I lived closer to GEC!
"As for me and my house, we serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15
J1890

Post by J1890 »

Just ordered one with the green scales just like my 66. Looking forward to it.
I'll have to pick up a second job to support this growing habit. ::hmm::
I wonder if the wife would mind planning a trip to PA? ::uc::
johnny twoshoes

Lyle, I'm sure my mom would appreciate hearing that haha!
To my knowledge John has never attended the GEC Rendezvous. I don't know if this clears it up, but he is big into hunting with beagles!

J, can't wait to see the pictures!
Really has been a fun pattern to carry and the spear blade has been really doing it for me! Everything takes time and I'm learning to love it!
biglmbass

Post by biglmbass »

Nice one. ::tu::
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

wlf...Nope.. Never been to the Rendezvous.. Hopefully this yr!! And I don't have a brother either!! :lol:

Shoulda done it Caleb!!! ::dang:: :lol: I tried!! :lol: Nice pics as usual though!!! ::tu::
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
J1890

Post by J1890 »

Here she is. This is a fantastic knife. It will take the place of my 66.
Got my list to start crossing off 83,47,73, 25, 72.
Got to love GEC!
Attachments
image.jpeg
johnny twoshoes

J, I can see it now!!!
Congrats on a getting a good one!!! (Who am I kidding, they are all good) I love green on a traditional knife, I only have one though. How do you feel about the spear?
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

How is the YJ working out for ya??? Really liking my Green Bottle Viper!! John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
J1890

Post by J1890 »

I think this Yankee Jack is a the knife. This is a beauty that fits my hand perfect.
Of course that is until I get the next one!
Looking forward to the Green Bottle Viper.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”