GEC #73 IVORY CASIEN 2007

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
MITCH RAPP

GEC #73 IVORY CASIEN 2007

Post by MITCH RAPP »

Had a real Bummer, :roll: when I was going through some of my GEC's this morning I have this #73 Ivory Casien put away in my Gun Safe, Ren waxed, wrapped and in it's little tube. Never used or carried! Now Low and Behold it has a nasty crack on the bottom pin! ::dang:: How the Hell did that happen??? ::shrug::
Attachments
GEC 73 IVORY CASIEN 2007.jpg
GEC 73 IVORY CASIEN 2007 090.jpg
MITCH

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
"So far,So good...So What!" - Johnnie Samples
313 Mike

Re: GEC #73 IVORY CASIEN 2007

Post by 313 Mike »

Wow Mitch! WTH? That is a nasty crack too, you can see the liner it's so bad! My condolences on the loss of your scale... can't imagine how that would have happened ::shrug::
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
Classic Case

Post by Classic Case »

It's not the first casein handle I have seen like that. Might be why they haven't really used it since. ::shrug::
Chris - I'd give my right arm to be ambidexterous.
caddyman1973

Post by caddyman1973 »

It could be worse Mitch...could be one of those guys thats dropped $600-700 on one of those 2006 #23's that may very well do the same thing. I cringe a little every time I get my 2007 out. So far so good....
You be tolerant....
You coexist....
I will do NEITHER!!!!
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

::facepalm:: Mitch, ivory is really touchy stuff to work with but beautiful. Probably what happened is that the hole was not big enough and the pin was pressed in and over time the stress caused the fracture, or the ivory wasn't completely dry and that drying out over time caused the crack. I have made quite a few fixed blade knives using ivory but have never had one crack, I have learned the hard way and got some too hot when sanding and that will cause hairline cracks, but they usually don't get larger. I drill my holes for pins a few thousands over size, then peen them slightly and epoxy them in place. Not much you can do with your knife now except maybe put a little super glue in the crack to keep it from getting any worse. Also I recommend using minerial oil on ivory from time to time. good luck, terry ::tu::
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Knife is casein not ivory.
Roger
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

my mistake guys, I thought your knife was made out of ivory, I'm not familiar with "casein". I have used "ivory micarta" and it is really durable. Can someone tell me what casein is? thanks, terry ::tu::
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Cutty

Post by Cutty »

I'm guessing that casein is some type of plastic?

I would like to know for sure as well.
I dig half stops!!

"GOTTA DO WHATCHA GOTTA DO, SO THAT YOU GET TO DO, WHATCHA WANNA DO"
My Grandad.
God rest his soul.

Brian
MITCH RAPP

Post by MITCH RAPP »

MITCH

Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

As painful as it is, I'm sure GEC will re-handle the knife for you. Wonder if Casien is available now and would you use it again? OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
MITCH RAPP

Post by MITCH RAPP »

8) OH, I would love to have Casein scales on a knife again! I think the material for a man made product has the closest look and feel of Ivory I have ever seen. ::tu:: Apparently GEC does not use it anymore, here is the response I got from them when I inquired about getting the knife repaired.

"Hi Marc,
We can replace the handle but it would not be with the casein and there would be a $25.00 charge for the new handle. We would have to see what we have available that would fit that style knife, although it would most likely be a jigged bone. Let me know what you would like to do.
Chris"
MITCH

Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Mitch, I'm surprised you would have to pay GEC to have a defect fixed; a new knife, in the safe, never used and a big old crack - very surprising to me. If you are going to have to pay you might as well see if one of our knife mechanics has exactly what scales you want and let them do it. Good luck with whatever you do; I have several knives that need fixing, new handles, etc., gotta overcome the inertia of doing nothing and get them fixed too! OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
MITCH RAPP

Post by MITCH RAPP »

8) You are Correct Sir! I have returned knives through the years for repairs or defects to just about every knife company out there. Queen, Case, Buck, Boker, Benchmade etc. Never once was I charged money to make the knife Right! Sometimes just return shipping cost. ::shrug:: Here is my original email to GEC:

"Dear Christine
I have been a GEC Knife collector and Supporter of GEC Knives since the release of your companies very first models. I am writing you about my #73 Ivory Casien Knife #090. I have had this knife put away in my gun safe, coated with some Ren wax, wrapped in the brown paper and placed in it's little tube. Never has it once been used or carried. When I took it out yesterday to check it, low and behold it has this nasty crack on the bottom pin. (see photo) I am contacting you to find out if this knife can be repaired or replaced? Please advise.
Thanks Much"

So much for Customer Service and standing behind your product! I have already returned the knife with a check for $25, mainly out of curiosity. I want to see how they handle this and how it turns out! I will let you all know what happens!
MITCH

big monk

Post by big monk »

Hey Mitch -- The GEC Warranty, don't say ""NUTHIN" about repair cost ???? ---- free of defects in ""material"" and ""workmanship"" ::hmm:: ---- seems your knife would fall into one of these catagories ???

http://www.greateasterncutlery.com/warranty/
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
MITCH RAPP

Post by MITCH RAPP »

8) Thanks Monk! ::handshake:: I know you're right about their warranty! I just didn't have the energy to get into an email Pissing contest with GEC'S Factory Rep. The way the knife is right now, it is unusable! ::td:: If I had one of the Guys here rehandle it for me it would cost more than $25. So I'll just take this as a lesson learned! ::facepalm::
MITCH

MITCH RAPP

Post by MITCH RAPP »

8) Well! Here's the end of the Story. I received my knife from GEC and they rehandled it in Smooth Yellow Bone for my $25.00 and I am neither Glad nor Sad, I am feeling rather ambivalent ::shrug:: about this knife right now! I really did love the model with the Casein Scales and now it's Gone! At least the turn around time was Outstanding! I mailed it on April 11th and got it back on April 24th.

UPDATE: See my following Post!
Attachments
GEC SMOOTH YELLOW BONE MODEL #73.jpg
GEC SMOOTH YELLOW BONE #73.jpg
MITCH

Ramrod

Post by Ramrod »

It looks good!............ BUT
Its not what you bought, and
you SHOULD NOT HAVE TO PAY FOR DEFECTS IN MATERIAL OR CRAFTSMANSHIP!!
Unbelievable. ::facepalm::
Mark
big monk

Post by big monk »

Ramrod wrote:It looks good!............ BUT
Its not what you bought, and
you SHOULD NOT HAVE TO PAY FOR DEFECTS IN MATERIAL OR CRAFTSMANSHIP!!
Unbelievable. ::facepalm::
Mark

What he said +++++++++ ::td::

MONK****
MITCH RAPP

Post by MITCH RAPP »

8) Hey Guys! My Bad! I just looked inside the Gec Tube the knife comes in and found my $25.00 check rolled up at the bottom of the tube! ::tu:: Very Nice! I never thought to look there, I figured it would have been stapled to the invoice sheet inside the box! ::shrug::
Attachments
006.JPG
MITCH

Ramrod

Post by Ramrod »

Haha!
Thank goodness. ::tu:: ::tu::
big monk

Post by big monk »

That's more like it ::nod:: ------the company,I trust & love !!!!!!! Best made knives & customer service !!!!!!

GEC IS THE BEST !!!!!!!

And Mitch --- you now have the ""ONE and ONLY"" ____ rare , 1 of 1, Smooth Yellow Bone, production knife made in 2007 !!!! Congrats !!!!! ::tu::
Attachments
Happy Monk !!!.jpg

MONK****
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Mitch, That is exactly what I would have expected to see from a great company, one with old fashioned values - I'm relieved to see that GEC is what I imagined them to be! OH

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”