I need some help with first GEC purchases, size question

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
Biggie

I need some help with first GEC purchases, size question

Post by Biggie »

I am looking at getting my first (and second) GEC knife. I like 2-3 blades, but I have to have a thick knife (old, damaged hands), I currently use large stockman 4 1/4” models (Queen cattle king #49, Case jumbo stockman# 6375) Trappers 4 1/8” models (Case trapper 6254) can you tell me what models from GEC and Northfield are about the same size? I see the length listed on the web site, but I cannot get any info on the girth. I was looking at the 42 trapper and 54 stockman, from what I have read on the forum they are wide, any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Gunstock Jack

Re: I need some help with first GEC purchases, size question

Post by Gunstock Jack »

Biggie wrote:I am looking at getting my first (and second) GEC knife. I like 2-3 blades, but I have to have a thick knife (old, damaged hands), I currently use large stockman 4 1/4” models (Queen cattle king #49, Case jumbo stockman# 6375) Trappers 4 1/8” models (Case trapper 6254) can you tell me what models from GEC and Northfield are about the same size? I see the length listed on the web site, but I cannot get any info on the girth. I was looking at the 42 trapper and 54 stockman, from what I have read on the forum they are wide, any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Many of GEC's patterns are notorious for having stiff springs, and others not so much. The 42 in it's lockback configuration is very easy to open and a little harder to close, but not bad. The 72 LB is similar, but more pocket sized. The 53/54 series are generally pretty stout, spring tension wise, and the 81/82 are about in the middle for spring tension and the 81 is similar in size to the Case 92, while the 82 is a little longer and maybe a little easier to open. Some of the 15's open quite easily while others seem a little stiff. The 78 jacks are quite stiff, while the 89 4" half whittler is a breeze to open and close with it's unique two spring construction.

It's probably best to talk with a dealer for more specifics. :D
Barry

Great Eastern Cutlery distributor: http://www.gunstockjacksknives.com
Contact me: info@gunstockjacksknives.com
Jody744
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jody744 »

If you live near somewhere a knife show is, plan to go and handle a bunch.
Where do you live? Someone will know of the closest to you.
Happy hunting.
"I like Case, Queen, S & M, Fightn' Rooster and many more."
(quote stolen from one of Jody Brown's posts)
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Biggie wrote: I cannot get any info on the girth.
48 Improved Trapper with stag handles. 3-7/8" long 2-1/8" around just the handle (blades extended)
54 Harness Jack with bone handles. 4-1/8" long 2½" around just the handle (blades extended)
53 Furtaker Trapper with acrylic handles. 4-1/8" long 2½" around just the handle (blades extended)

Anything made on those frames would, of course, be very close to the same.

Sorry I can't help any further. All my others are sub-4" and I don't have a very large pile of GEC.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”