#12 06-08

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
WillClinger

#12 06-08

Post by WillClinger »

summit of Mt Moriah, 06/08/2014
summit of Mt Moriah, 06/08/2014
The 06-08 on this bolster means it's the sixth of eight made. As of yesterday it now records the date I completed the Appalachian Mountain Club's list of forty eight 4000-foot peaks in New Hampshire.

From left to right: Washington, Clay, Jefferson, Adams, Madison:
northern Presidentials from Mt Moriah
northern Presidentials from Mt Moriah
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: #12 06-08

Post by jerryd6818 »

Congratulations. That's quite an accomplishment. How long did it take for you to do all 48 and did you tackle them in any specific order?
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Wow, great accomplishment! Very cool that you had a special PK along with you for the occasion. ::tu::
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
WillClinger

Post by WillClinger »

jerryd6818 wrote:Congratulations. That's quite an accomplishment. How long did it take for you to do all 48 and did you tackle them in any specific order?
Thanks. I first hiked the White Mountains in 1976, but didn't care about peak-bagging until 9 June 2012, when a scary attack of muscle cramps and spasms on my first backpacking trip of the season convinced me that doing the NH 48 would be an age-appropriate challenge. During the next two years, I bagged 36 of the 48. I had done the other 10 previously.

On Saturday I spoke with a young hiker who did her 48 in six months. I've met several hikers who have done the grid (all 48 in the month of January, all 48 in February, etc).

I did them in no particular order, but a three-day backpack around the western Pemigewasett netted 11 of the 48; some people do that in a single day. A Presidential traverse covering 8 of the 48 is much easier to do in a day, but I did those in three separate hikes. Excepting Moriah, I covered the Carter Range in a single day hike. Several other pairs or triples were most easily done together (Tom/Field/Willey, Cannon and the Kinsmans, the Tripyramids, the Wildcats, the Hancocks, the Osceolas, Whiteface and Passaconaway).
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

That is some beautiful country, thanks for sharing! What is the sheath knife / machete you have on your belt in the '76 picture?
Mike

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Mike, if you lived there, you'd be trying to get 'em all done on a holiday weekend. :lol: :lol:
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
WillClinger

Post by WillClinger »

313 Mike wrote:That is some beautiful country, thanks for sharing! What is the sheath knife / machete you have on your belt in the '76 picture?
That's a friend whose name I've forgotten; I was taking the picture. His knife was military surplus, and I've been told it was the original version of the Woodman's Pal. On that two-day trip, he didn't use it at all.

He could have, of course. Less than two weeks ago, I had opportunity to use the hatchet I was carrying. Before:
small tree across trail
small tree across trail
After:
no more small tree across trail
no more small tree across trail
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

jerryd6818 wrote:Mike, if you lived there, you'd be trying to get 'em all done on a holiday weekend. :lol: :lol:
Jerry you are right...I wanna get out and HUMP THOSE HILLS! :mrgreen: ::nod:: Unfortunately never had the opportunity to explore that part of the country much, sure does look beautiful though.
Mike

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”