Why Has GEC Knives Fallen Off the Cliff?

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.

Why Has The Interest and Postings fallen So Sharply

Poll ended at Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:22 am

GEC Has changed direction since their initial offerings.
5%
GEC No longer creates what I thinks are Original Patterns.
2%
GEC Prices Have increased to more than I can afford.
29%
GEC knives seem to have saturated the market, decreasing my original purchase.
5%
GEC knives on Ebay seem to drive values into the toilet.
3%
GEC Product quality has fallen compared to their original product offering in 2007.
3%
GEC Products although Superior, I cannot afford the heavy ticket price vs, other products offered.
12%
Gec Has fallen in the direction of WR Case & Sons, Offering almost every pattern,Handle,and color under the sun.
3%
GEC Knives are really nice, I love them... Just cannot afford to collect like I once did.
28%
GEC Like many new companies are moving to quickly for profit rather than satisfying the customer with what they want.
9%

Total votes: 58

bonehead

Why Has GEC Knives Fallen Off the Cliff?

Post by bonehead »

Hey All,

This post is for myself.... As a GEC collector:

As I see them:

1) I love who they are
2) I love what they Do
3) I love the product they turn out
4) I especially love the dedication to years gone by
5) Love the old machinery they work with
6) absolutely love the 20 or so employee work Force
Bonehead

America's 'FINEST' Vintage Cutlery
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Why Has GEC Knives Fallen Off the Cliff?

Post by Quick Steel »

So many of their interesting knives have limited production. That's fine in itself but when the numbers (e.g.25) are that small
it does not establish a sufficient base among collectors in that so few collectors can acquire them; insufficient interest is generated. A run of 300 to 500 is, imo, needed to develop "buzz." Economics and the desire to preserve quality might require cutting back on the production of other less original patterns. Someone with more expertise on this may have a completely different take.

Like most, I love the GEC quality but I feel they are evolving into a kind of "boutique" label. It will be a tremendous accomplishment if they can expand their base while maintainingg their quality.
CAMAROMAN

Post by CAMAROMAN »

As one being "new" to the GEC products.... I hope their popularity is not on the way out! ::pray:: I am very impressed with the knives they are producing/have produced. They are a bit pricey,but I really like them.
-----------------------------------------

"A knifeless man is a lifeless man" - old Nordic proverb
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

Being new to GEC knives and owning only one my opinions are limited by knowledge about the history of the brand. I do know quality when I see it and am very impressed with my Tidioute. I see some attempts at price gouging on eBay with a seller's starting. bid way over what the knife normally sells for. This practice can give the inexperienced buyer a false sense of the knife's worth. Most of the dealers on GEC's web site have fair market value prices and I use that as a base for judging eBay pricing but they are still expensive. In watching the You tube video of the factory tour I believe they care about the quality they are producing. The fit and finish is not seen in mass produced knives. I don't have the $ to collect but enjoy "window shopping" and hope to get 1 or 2 more. Just some observations from a newbie.
Capt. Farrel

Post by Capt. Farrel »

While I have to say that I love GEC and their knives the poll shows clearly that it is all about money. ::shrug::
Frank

OMG, it´s knives again!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Capt. Farrel wrote:While I have to say that I love GEC and their knives the poll shows clearly that it is all about money. ::shrug::
You're right Skipper. There are two currently at the top of my want list that will just have to wait because of the $$$. And let me tell you, Mr. JerryD doesn't wait well. ::pace::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
biglmbass

Post by biglmbass »

I can't say any of the poll options really fit me. I'm still as interested in them as ever and try to keep up as best I can, in regards to following what they're putting out and adding some to my collection from time to time. For the quality & materials they put into their products, I still think they're a good value. I will say I'm a little more selective in what patterns I pay attention to these days.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I don't know that any of the above really fit em either. I have one GEC, and I love it. I guess if I weren't so darn addicted to good old users I could save for three or four months and buy a couple a year. But darn it some nice old gooder'un comes along and there goes my GEC fund.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
singin46

Post by singin46 »

I too think the above poll questions don't fit at all what is happening at GEC. Bill Howard is a professional at this and knows exactly what he's doing. I don't look to ebay for anything other than to hope to find a knife that I missed out on from time to time. Where the line is going is anybody's guess frankly and can't be predicted. I remember when the first knives came out in 2006 and many on here and elsewhere were guessing at the chance of them surviving or not. Their quality has gotten, if anything better overall. If you want the best, you have to pay for it. They never set out to build cheaper knives nor did they set out with any competition in mind. They wanted to bridge the gap with the older brands and their quality, to build knives for the appreciators of this old practice.
Love all Jacks
Capt. Farrel

Post by Capt. Farrel »

@Jerry: Same here, same here...... ::facepalm::

@singin46: I truly believe that GEC knives are worth their money. It´s just that you can´t buy every new model that they shell out (and I would if I could!). ::shrug::
Frank

OMG, it´s knives again!
Wood-Guy

Post by Wood-Guy »

GEC always comes up with something, I hope that they are around for a long time, great company, great product and good people. The knives are a little pricey but hey, your getting a good thing and the quality is there. ::tu:: :mrgreen:
-Ryan-
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Me too Frank! Although I might not be married anymore. :mrgreen: Not good! These knives have always been "pricey" and will continue to be. You can't get this kind of knife for $50 bucks and you never will, unless of course you buy a Farm and Field Tool. ::tu::
Love all Jacks
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

singin46 wrote:I too think the above poll questions don't fit at all what is happening at GEC. Bill Howard is a professional at this and knows exactly what he's doing. I don't look to ebay for anything other than to hope to find a knife that I missed out on from time to time. Where the line is going is anybody's guess frankly and can't be predicted. I remember when the first knives came out in 2006 and many on here and elsewhere were guessing at the chance of them surviving or not. Their quality has gotten, if anything better overall. If you want the best, you have to pay for it. They never set out to build cheaper knives nor did they set out with any competition in mind. They wanted to bridge the gap with the older brands and their quality, to build knives for the appreciators of this old practice.
+1
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

The knives have never been and never will be a steady diet for my knife collecting diet. The only way that will change is if I win the lottery. For me they are a treat I manage to work into the budget now and then like a trip to a really good restaruant for a special occasion. But that's just me and is no reflection on the company nor the quality of the knives they make. For those who have the means to focus on them, have at it and God bless ya.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Pretty much the way I buy them as well Jerry. I know there are those here and on other forums that will do the bird doggin and try to get the very firsts of almost every pattern they release. I know guys on here that have GECs into the hundreds. I only own, at this time about 20 GECs.
Love all Jacks
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Plus, I just buy what I like. There are many of the GEC's that don't trip my trigger but that still leaves two or three to keep me wanting at any given time. Currently there are five on that list. ::facepalm::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Robert

Post by Robert »

jerryd6818 wrote:Plus, I just buy what I like. There are many of the GEC's that don't trip my trigger but that still leaves two or three to keep me wanting at any given time. Currently there are five on that list. ::facepalm::
48 warncliff trapper ::shrug::
Classic Case

Post by Classic Case »

For me,..after the first 400 or so, the excitement or "newness" kind of wears off. :lol: ::sneaky::
Chris - I'd give my right arm to be ambidexterous.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Robert wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:Plus, I just buy what I like. There are many of the GEC's that don't trip my trigger but that still leaves two or three to keep me wanting at any given time. Currently there are five on that list. ::facepalm::
48 warncliff trapper ::shrug::
Why yes Robert. And how did you guess? :lol: Actually it's one specific #48 Improved Trapper and not the one we discussed. I've set my sights a little higher since then. ::woot:: ::facepalm:: (and I'm hoping it doesn't get sold before I can dig enough change out of the couch ::pray:: )
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Robert

Post by Robert »

Classic Case wrote:For me,..after the first 400 or so, the excitement or "newness" kind of wears off. :lol: ::sneaky::
400 :lol: :lol: I say so lololo they do make knives like they are supposed too
singin46

Post by singin46 »

There are some exciting new knives coming out soon and I guarantee it'll stir things up again. The Viper for one will be a big hit with collectors. I like the use of the Wharncliff single blade and a swayback type pattern handle. ::woot::
Love all Jacks
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

singin46 wrote:The Viper for one will be a big hit with collectors. I like the use of the Wharncliff single blade and a swayback type pattern handle. ::woot::
Isn't the Viper an old Norfolk, renamed (I think that's the name.). If it's the one I'm thinking about, I think that pattern's the schnitzel.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Cutty

Post by Cutty »

and the # 78 American Jack is coming soon as well ::nod::
I dig half stops!!

"GOTTA DO WHATCHA GOTTA DO, SO THAT YOU GET TO DO, WHATCHA WANNA DO"
My Grandad.
God rest his soul.

Brian
Ramrod

Post by Ramrod »

I dont know if I'd say fallen of a cliff, its more of a "lull".
I think GEC have their knives priced reasonably, compared to the competition. And I like them better! ::tu::
Mark
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Yes, there seems to be a lull every year about this time with GEC, they like taking time off just like ME! ::ds:: Go back to work tomorrow tho. ::mdm:: i hear ya Jerry, me too. ::nod::
Love all Jacks

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”