Why Has GEC Knives Fallen Off the Cliff?

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.

Why Has The Interest and Postings fallen So Sharply

Poll ended at Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:22 am

GEC Has changed direction since their initial offerings.
5%
GEC No longer creates what I thinks are Original Patterns.
2%
GEC Prices Have increased to more than I can afford.
29%
GEC knives seem to have saturated the market, decreasing my original purchase.
5%
GEC knives on Ebay seem to drive values into the toilet.
3%
GEC Product quality has fallen compared to their original product offering in 2007.
3%
GEC Products although Superior, I cannot afford the heavy ticket price vs, other products offered.
12%
Gec Has fallen in the direction of WR Case & Sons, Offering almost every pattern,Handle,and color under the sun.
3%
GEC Knives are really nice, I love them... Just cannot afford to collect like I once did.
28%
GEC Like many new companies are moving to quickly for profit rather than satisfying the customer with what they want.
9%

Total votes: 58

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Why Has GEC Knives Fallen Off the Cliff?

Post by jerryd6818 »

Plus, I just buy what I like. There are many of the GEC's that don't trip my trigger but that still leaves two or three to keep me wanting at any given time. Currently there are five on that list. ::facepalm::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Robert

Post by Robert »

jerryd6818 wrote:Plus, I just buy what I like. There are many of the GEC's that don't trip my trigger but that still leaves two or three to keep me wanting at any given time. Currently there are five on that list. ::facepalm::
48 warncliff trapper ::shrug::
Classic Case

Post by Classic Case »

For me,..after the first 400 or so, the excitement or "newness" kind of wears off. :lol: ::sneaky::
Chris - I'd give my right arm to be ambidexterous.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Robert wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:Plus, I just buy what I like. There are many of the GEC's that don't trip my trigger but that still leaves two or three to keep me wanting at any given time. Currently there are five on that list. ::facepalm::
48 warncliff trapper ::shrug::
Why yes Robert. And how did you guess? :lol: Actually it's one specific #48 Improved Trapper and not the one we discussed. I've set my sights a little higher since then. ::woot:: ::facepalm:: (and I'm hoping it doesn't get sold before I can dig enough change out of the couch ::pray:: )
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Robert

Post by Robert »

Classic Case wrote:For me,..after the first 400 or so, the excitement or "newness" kind of wears off. :lol: ::sneaky::
400 :lol: :lol: I say so lololo they do make knives like they are supposed too
singin46

Post by singin46 »

There are some exciting new knives coming out soon and I guarantee it'll stir things up again. The Viper for one will be a big hit with collectors. I like the use of the Wharncliff single blade and a swayback type pattern handle. ::woot::
Love all Jacks
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

singin46 wrote:The Viper for one will be a big hit with collectors. I like the use of the Wharncliff single blade and a swayback type pattern handle. ::woot::
Isn't the Viper an old Norfolk, renamed (I think that's the name.). If it's the one I'm thinking about, I think that pattern's the schnitzel.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Cutty

Post by Cutty »

and the # 78 American Jack is coming soon as well ::nod::
I dig half stops!!

"GOTTA DO WHATCHA GOTTA DO, SO THAT YOU GET TO DO, WHATCHA WANNA DO"
My Grandad.
God rest his soul.

Brian
Ramrod

Post by Ramrod »

I dont know if I'd say fallen of a cliff, its more of a "lull".
I think GEC have their knives priced reasonably, compared to the competition. And I like them better! ::tu::
Mark
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Yes, there seems to be a lull every year about this time with GEC, they like taking time off just like ME! ::ds:: Go back to work tomorrow tho. ::mdm:: i hear ya Jerry, me too. ::nod::
Love all Jacks
Gunstock Jack

Post by Gunstock Jack »

As a small dealer of GEC, I don't see any lack of interest at all. Probably the biggest decision a buyer would have to make is the model of GEC they want, as they make so many different configurations in various handle materials. GEC has come a long way in pleasing it's customers with lighter spring tension, improved bone colors and jigging, and pattern variety. So what if they only make 25 of a specific pattern and handle material; that's what makes collecting them a challenge, and you will never run short of unique patterns.

I say kudos to Bill Howard and crew at GEC for making the old time patterns and quality thereof available to us all. Many of these patterns are not available in current production anywhere else in the world. Because of GEC and a few other makers, we are now living in the golden age of cutlery!

I try out and use most of GEC's patterns, and while some have faults none have been serious enough to judge negatively.

Keep up the good work Bill and crew!!!!!
Barry

Great Eastern Cutlery distributor: http://www.gunstockjacksknives.com
Contact me: info@gunstockjacksknives.com
Hawk45

Post by Hawk45 »

Barry, I couldn't agree more. I'll wait for the right configuration of a pattern/style of knife to come around. It makes the hunt that much more fun and the reward that much sweeter. I prefer they focus on smaller batches with higher quality. I'd rather have a fewer quality built knives than many poor fit/finish knives. They all cut and do the job, but the pride of ownership is what I enjoy.
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Well said Barry and Hawk45! Making 250 to 350 of a particular pattern as they did in the early production years was only to get the knives known, later moving slowly toward their niche' in the cutlery business. By offering SFOs, prototypes, low test production runs and "Open House knives" they have developed a stir or demand in the market. Not to mention the unusual blade uses in certain patterns never produced by any cutlery company previously. That is pure genius.
Love all Jacks
singin46

Post by singin46 »

For instance offering a Trapper pattern in a single blade and a single blade liner lock. A Cigar pattern that's a Harness Jack with a Clip or Spear blade. Their Barlow pattern that offers not only the standard blade configuration but also offers the same pattern in a Tear Drop Jack pattern. Knowone that I'm aware of carries or makes that particular pattern. From Cigar frames made into 3 back spring Whittlers to Barlows that offer, as a secondary blade, a smaller Clip blade instead of a traditional Pen configuration. You tell me of one company that does that!
Love all Jacks
Gunstock Jack

Post by Gunstock Jack »

Let's not forget the many fine SFO's GEC has produced for all of our enjoyment. The Galvanic Eureka Jack, TC Barlow, EO Teardrop Jack, Diamond Jack, etc.(too many to mention here) plus more to come in the future. Who else can do these short specialty runs?

GEC listens to all of us and they work hard to please. Not too far back there were a lot of complaints about getting a new GEC knife that wouldn't cut without sharpening. Anybody got a dull bladed GEC lately? Most I've handled will cut paper cleanly without tearing. Just sayin'. ::super_happy::
IMG_3122.JPG
Barry

Great Eastern Cutlery distributor: http://www.gunstockjacksknives.com
Contact me: info@gunstockjacksknives.com
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Good point Barry. ::tu::
I recall how many complaints there were when when the first GEC knives came out in '06.

This was the reaction to a GEC knife in 2007, by Johnnie Fain, who became a big GEC fan by the time he passed away in 2009.
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... GEC#p49656

In this thread Johnnie, Hukk and others discuss problems with GEC knives.
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... php?t=3507

My point is that when GEC came out there were a lot of folks here rooting for them, and I think actually gave them a boost in their business, in spite of some early QC and customer service problems.

Barry’s point is well taken, GEC has done a lot to listen to the customers here on AAPK and have responded to what our members have had to say.
Even though I don't collect GEC (aside from the AAPK series) it is not for quality issues.
I do think they listen to their customers, and that is a good thing! ::nod::
They have also vastly improved their quality!!!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
habitant400

Post by habitant400 »

Well, I've bought so many of them the number of tubes around my house is getting ridiculous...not just from my wife's perspective. There is only so many knives I can store/justify so I've become more discerning about what I buy. It is not really about money, I still buy the ones I think are interesting. I have examples of almost all the patterns and production years to date so it will take a more special knife to make me purchase. I definitely don't agree with any sentiment that the quality has dropped off. I would say that generally the quality is better than it was on the 2006, 07, 08 knives. The knives are more refined in most cases. I also don't think the knives are over-priced, in fact, I can't see how the 20 people making them earn a living selling a few knives for 100 bucks each. I have many GECs that compare in quality to custom knives that people justify spending many times more for.

I do think that many of the people who would really appreciate these as quality objects to own never see them, let alone hold them in hand. I live in a Canadian province of 1 million plus people (many outdoors types: hunters, fishers, farmers) and I would probably be correct in saying I own 95% of the GEC knives here. Most people have never heard of Great Eastern Cutlery, but would definitely appreciate them if they held them. That said, to make inroads, the marketing team may need to explain why these knives are better than the trinkets given to farmers by farm supply companies.
bulldog

Post by bulldog »

The quality is still excellent and so are the workers. i know what i want when i purchase a knife. With GEC, i know what I'm getting!
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Yes and thank goodness for that. I can't tell you how many new knives I bought before GEC came along only to continually be disappointed with my purchases later. Trust is a BIG part of it.
Love all Jacks
caddyman1973

Post by caddyman1973 »

The only problem I have with GEC is the stag handled knives. I usually wont buy one without looking it over in my hand. I know stag is a natural product and every piece is different, but that being said, I've seen several in the last few years that the stag was as thick as the bolsters on the ends and taper down to near nothing in the center of the knife, near the rocker pin. I've seen a few knives that were so thin at the rocker pin that brass liner was actually visible from a side view. These were not marked as seconds either. It may not bother other people, but it does me. It wont keep me from buying GECs, by any means. I love em! But I do look the stag over VERY well before I buy.
You be tolerant....
You coexist....
I will do NEITHER!!!!
bonehead

Post by bonehead »

Fellas,

Sorry for the poor title on this post. It's obvious I could have chose something less dangerous. I do want to say that GEC is the only US knife company that I buy from today with any regularity.

I have been there and met with Bill Howard and many of the other great folks that are employed there. My post never questioned GEC's integrity, direction, or Bill Howard's vision in any way. The questions for the poll originated from discussions from a few knife forums I've crossed over the last few years, personal conversation, and my own observations. I have tried in earnest to have questions that might be reasonably valid for some GEC fans and their particular interests.

I truly miss all the posts about GEC here :( , and on other sites. Anyone who has visited this module of the forum on a regular basis can see the sharp decline in posts of all kinds.

All said, I wish GEC and all Knife companies a prosperous year to come. There is increasing completion for the market right now, and the IMO the knife market is about as soft as it has been in many years.

Thanks for all your comments and participation! Bonehead
Bonehead

America's 'FINEST' Vintage Cutlery
oldblinddog
Location: South of the Red, North of the Trinity, sometimes on the North Platte.

Post by oldblinddog »

I find the quality to be inconsistent. Wobbly blades and weak springs with no snap don't spin my prop. However, when they do their job correctly, they are excellent.
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Well that's strange, I have only had 2 knives with issues over the last 7 or 8 years of buying them. One had no snap and the other had the covers pulling away on the mark side. GEC currently has my 2nd problem knife in about 25 or 30 different ones, a #23 Pioneer from 2007. Let's hope they can fix it or make me happy with some other solution. I have high hopes from the correspondence so far.
Love all Jacks
WillClinger

Post by WillClinger »

oldblinddog wrote:I find the quality to be inconsistent. Wobbly blades and weak springs with no snap don't spin my prop. However, when they do their job correctly, they are excellent.
Agreed.

Of the 7 GEC-made knives I've bought, 2 had minor issues that were serious enough to dissuade me from giving them as Christmas gifts (which is why I had purchased them). One had so little snap on opening that the main blade had to be pushed the last couple of millimeters into a fully open position. The other had bone splinters from damage to ridges in the jigged bone, a surprisingly large gap between bone and liner, a high kick I had to file down, and some minor blade rub.

Almost all of those knives were purchased as gifts, which limited me to the GEC line. (Unless I know someone prefers non-stainless, it's too risky to give them 1095 steel.) 4 of the 7 arrived with dull blades, and 3 of those 4 were extremely dull. Had I given those knives as gifts without sharpening the blade, the recipients would have thought I was giving them a crappy knife. Giving them a knife that was no longer in factory-new condition was the lesser of two evils.

None of these issues were important enough to justify returning the knife, but they were common enough for me to shift my purchases of gift knives from GEC to Canal Street. Of the 20 Canal Street knives I've purchased, none were as dull as 4 of the 7 GEC knives, and none had issues as serious as those of the 2 GEC knives I've mentioned.

I haven't given up on GEC, but I'm wary.

Will
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Understandable, I too had my doubts around 2007.
Love all Jacks

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”