Different shields on GEC knives

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
CAMAROMAN

Different shields on GEC knives

Post by CAMAROMAN »

I am really starting to like (love) GEC products!! So far I have a #73 Tidioute and a GEC #73 . I am looking at several of the Northfield UN-X-LD. I have noticed that GEC uses many different shields on their knives :? From UN-X-LD, to acorns, to Tidioute logo, beavers,NACB bull head, etc.. My question is, does the type of shield have any bearing on the value of the knife? Seems to me the UN-X-LD shielded knives go for a higher price, than say one with a "plain" logo. Thanks much.
-----------------------------------------

"A knifeless man is a lifeless man" - old Nordic proverb
Cutty

Re: Different shields on GEC knives

Post by Cutty »

I dig half stops!!

"GOTTA DO WHATCHA GOTTA DO, SO THAT YOU GET TO DO, WHATCHA WANNA DO"
My Grandad.
God rest his soul.

Brian
knifeswapper

Re: Different shields on GEC knives

Post by knifeswapper »

CAMAROMAN wrote:I am really starting to like (love) GEC products!! So far I have a #73 Tidioute and a GEC #73 . I am looking at several of the Northfield UN-X-LD. I have noticed that GEC uses many different shields on their knives :? From UN-X-LD, to acorns, to Tidioute logo, beavers,NACB bull head, etc.. My question is, does the type of shield have any bearing on the value of the knife? Seems to me the UN-X-LD shielded knives go for a higher price, than say one with a "plain" logo. Thanks much.
I think this is a little over-simplified. Northfield are generally a little nicer made. Within the Northfield brand there are acrylic, wood, bone, and stag. For production reasons, the smooth slabbed knives will have plain shields (no stamping) whereas the jigged bone and stag will have the stamped. So generally a bone / stag Northfield would bring more than a wood or acrylic solely based on the slabs; not the type of sheild per-se.
Mike Latham, CollectorKnives
Great Eastern Cutlery | Case Knives | Arno Bernard Knives | Early Reserve
Low Price & Satisfaction Guaranteed

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”