Your dealing with Great Eastern Cutlery if theres a problem?

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
cbnutt

Re: Your dealing with Great Eastern Cutlery if theres a prob

Post by cbnutt »

"My personal opinion, take it with a pound of salt, is that if the OP spent a fraction of the time communicating with GEC directly as he did with us on this forum, he would be much happier today." what did i say i did in the first and other posts ??? i plainly said i asked for a replacement when i first comunicated with them. they would not do it, then today when i tried to talk more with them again about the problem, i found out they had already shipped it back to me.
Shoot low sheriff, he's ridin a Shetland.....
big monk

Post by big monk »

Sounds like there was just a ""big mis-communication"" all the way around ???? that will eventually get "'FIXED"" !!!___ Anyway,I sure hope so **** GEC is a 100% Stand UP Company, that I have had many dealings with__and had dealings with most all, of their dealers____ in the real world,all does not go smooth,all the time___but it sounds like,Christine,has stepped up to the plate again,to get this ""problem"" solved ::tu:: ::tu:: cbnutt, When this is all over with ,I hope you are happy with the outcome and will let us all know,how it worked out ??? _______ I really do believe,that GEC,will remain,the best USA,knifemaker,in business,no matter what ( or who leaves) ::hmm:: as long as ""Christine Tucker"",is the ,customer service representative ::nod::

And no____I don't work for GEC****____ don't like every knife they have made___and have been ticked off,at some answers,Christine gave me !!!! ::ds::
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
Dornblaser

Post by Dornblaser »

The OP and I have just exchanged a couple of PM's. I should add a Post-Script to my last post: Gotta Love GEC Fan!

- David
cbnutt

Post by cbnutt »

Thanks Big Monk ::tu:: iam sure it will too, its just been a bad day all the way around i guess for me, and i totaly agree, there making the best knife out there today, just trying to get it fixed to my satisfaction, i probaly shoudnt have even started this thread i supose. i hope at least you can read this, as i was informed i type and comunicate with 4 th grade skills in a recent PM with someone. ::dang::
big monk

Post by big monk »

cbnutt wrote:Thanks Big Monk ::tu:: iam sure it will too, its just been a bad day all the way around i guess for me, and i totaly agree, there making the best knife out there today, just trying to get it fixed to my satisfaction, i probaly shoudnt have even started this thread i supose. i hope at least you can read this, as i was informed i type and comunicate with 4 th grade skills in a recent PM with someone. ::dang::
Hey CB____we GEC ""Junkies"" gotta stick together !!!!!!_ I'm pullin' for ya' to get that knife problem,solved to your "'LIKING"" and I think it will be,soon !!! ::nod:: This is not the first post of a GEC knife problem and surely,won't be the last !!!!____but I have yet to see any problem,that didn't get ""FIXED"" sooner or later ::nod:: ,______ The computer problem,is a whole nuther' problem ::dang:: ___( and I don't see,where we need some smart aZZZZ,with ""SIX POST"" to bash,other members on this site ??? )___ I'm about as bad,with this computer stuff,my self ::shrug:: ___the young,kids invented "'TEXT Message"" cause they are,to darn lazy,to type all the letters ::dang:: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ____have agreat day,my friend !!!!!,Monk ::ds::

MONK****
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I have not dealt directly with GEC for any knife purchases in the past or regarding any warranty or repairs issues, but it strikes me as really odd that a manufacturer would say they could not replace a defective knife because it was purchased through a distributor??? ::uc::

I have dealt with many different cutlery companies for years when I managed a retail cutlery store and I have never heard of such a policy, especially on a knife that has not been used. If the blade is hitting the backspring, that is a manufacturing error, not something the distributor did or even the customer.

Is it really the GEC policy that they cannot warranty a knife purchased though a distributor, or did you just talk to someone at GEC who didn’t know what they were talking about? ::shrug::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
HiPower

Post by HiPower »

cbnutt do'nt worry about you computer excellance. i touched a computer for the 1st time at 70 years of age & a cro magnon could certainly spell & communicate better than myself--anyone with a modicum of intelligence & courtesy should be able to extrapolate what most of we dummies are saying. computer efficacy is'nt a true index of one's character or native intelligence. -HiPower
HiPower
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

HiPower wrote:. computer efficacy is'nt a true index of one's character or native intelligence. -HiPower
I agree 100%! Who cares, this isn't a classroom with points off for spelling and grammar.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." Ogden Nash

My traditional Nordic knife blog: http://nordiskaknivar.wordpress.com/

Mike
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

X3 ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
cbnutt

Post by cbnutt »

well things look better today, talked to Chris eailer, and there going to send me a autumn gold white owl, i mailed out the scout this eve back to them,since they didnt have many scouts on hand, i opted to try the white owl, as it was on my list of ones i was wanting anyway, ill probably be tempted to carry this one, as its small, anyone have one in autumn gold ? they look great in the pics.
Earl

Post by Earl »

orvet wrote:X3 ::tu::
X4 :mrgreen:

great news cbnutt ::tu::
big monk

Post by big monk »

quote="cbnutt"]well things look better today, talked to Chris eailer, and there going to send me a autumn gold white owl, i mailed out the scout this eve back to them,since they didnt have many scouts on hand, i opted to try the white owl, as it was on my list of ones i was wanting anyway, ill probably be tempted to carry this one, as its small, anyone have one in autumn gold ? they look great in the pics.[/quote]

Great News,CB !!!!!!!_____ hope you like that ""white owl"" ::tu::

MONK****
IMBand

Post by IMBand »

This post got me thinking about an #85 I got recently with plans to EDC.
When I opened the knife there was a nick in the blade, I thought maybe the distributor
or factory dropped it or that a postal inspector was somehow responsible. I did not
worry too much as my plans were to EDC and would wait until I sharpen past it, no biggie.
Well, I was thinking about this post and realized that maybe my knife was striking the
pivot pin too. Sure enough...the mar in the blade lines up EXACTLY with the center pin!!!
This #85 has moderate snap but has not cracked the Stag yet so thats good.
Here is the best pic I can get.........so you are not alone cbnutt. ::tear::

IM
:)
Attachments
104_0513-30.JPG
AAPK #6581
cbnutt

Post by cbnutt »

good to know Imband, probly something they need to look into a bit, iam guessing just a bit shaved off the spring at the center rivot area would cure it when they make it.
gino

Post by gino »

DORNBLASER--PM SENT!
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
knifeswapper

Post by knifeswapper »

cbnutt wrote:good to know Imband, probly something they need to look into a bit, iam guessing just a bit shaved off the spring at the center rivot area would cure it when they make it.
More likely a little less off the kick or a little more off the edge would be the solution. The backspring and liners are stamped at the exact intended shape - the blade and bolsters are where most hand tuning happens during assembly. Thus any backspring problem would be evident in every knife off the assembly line.
It depends on how far you have to push the blade down from a closed position to get it to touch the backspring as to whether this is an ongoing problem or just a one-time forced issue. I have seen some recent discussion elsewhere about the hard snap causing this in some patterns. The factory fix is more than likely a round of moving the edge up a tad by sharpening.

As per the rest of the thread: As I have learned from my two kids, there are always two stories on every issue. Not that one is trying to mislead at all, just people see things differently depending on their pre-conceived notions. I would be surprised if GEC views this scenario exactly the same, but they obviously do realize that the customer has to be happy. The factory cannot refund money on a knife sold thru a distributor because a) they do not know what the customer paid for the knife, and b) they cannot be expected to refund $75 for a knife they were paid $60 wholesale for. Thus, what probably should have happened is that the factory asked the customer to contact the distributor and get a replacement for the knife - with the assurance from the factory to credit the defective knife on the next distributor order. But even this scenario leaves both the customer and the distributor (twice) eating shipping charges on a knife that has been happily in a collection for two years. But as devil's advocate I am sure the factory sees a lot of knives coming back that should be disqualified from the factory warranty; for a multitude of reasons.

So, if the factory and customer are both happy with the solution, it seems like a win-win.
Mike Latham, CollectorKnives
Great Eastern Cutlery | Case Knives | Arno Bernard Knives | Early Reserve
Low Price & Satisfaction Guaranteed
gino

Post by gino »

Of all the GEC's that I own I have only had an issue with one, the 33 Conductor. I sent it back for bad blade rub and weak close on the small blade and in a few weeks it was sent back to me perfect. I was happy with the service that I recieved. ;)
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
cbnutt

Post by cbnutt »

knifeswapper wrote:
cbnutt wrote:good to know Imband, probly something they need to look into a bit, iam guessing just a bit shaved off the spring at the center rivot area would cure it when they make it.
More likely a little less off the kick or a little more off the edge would be the solution. The backspring and liners are stamped at the exact intended shape - the blade and bolsters are where most hand tuning happens during assembly. Thus any backspring problem would be evident in every knife off the assembly line.
It depends on how far you have to push the blade down from a closed position to get it to touch the backspring as to whether this is an ongoing problem or just a one-time forced issue. I have seen some recent discussion elsewhere about the hard snap causing this in some patterns. The factory fix is more than likely a round of moving the edge up a tad by sharpening.

As per the rest of the thread: As I have learned from my two kids, there are always two stories on every issue. Not that one is trying to mislead at all, just people see things differently depending on their pre-conceived notions. I would be surprised if GEC views this scenario exactly the same, but they obviously do realize that the customer has to be happy. The factory cannot refund money on a knife sold thru a distributor because a) they do not know what the customer paid for the knife, and b) they cannot be expected to refund $75 for a knife they were paid $60 wholesale for. Thus, what probably should have happened is that the factory asked the customer to contact the distributor and get a replacement for the knife - with the assurance from the factory to credit the defective knife on the next distributor order. But even this scenario leaves both the customer and the distributor (twice) eating shipping charges on a knife that has been happily in a collection for two years. But as devil's advocate I am sure the factory sees a lot of knives coming back that should be disqualified from the factory warranty; for a multitude of reasons.

So, if the factory and customer are both happy with the solution, it seems like a win-win.
Yes, difantly a wiw, win deal, i would difantly buy more now. ::tu::
cbnutt

Post by cbnutt »

the white owl came in today, very nice, ill try to get a pic up if i can over the weekend, autumn gold bone, gonna see how it carries, id like to see the northfileds without the bail, but it dosnt seem very noticable so far just carrying around the house, shaving sharp right out of the box. ::tu::
ssage24

Post by ssage24 »

well..I am new to this forum.. I have just started to collect gec knives an i love the company.. but i have head of some of the problems with them but i have to keep reminding myself and so should everyone else if im allowed to say is that this is a very young company... so patients should be used because i do believe that chris is going to do everything that she can do personally to make every customer happy..

that being said... i have two gec knives... my first is the model 25 easy open jack in zebra wood scales with sheeps foot blade or warn cliff? beautiful knife and it is absolutely perfect fit and finish and blade centering...
te second knife is one i just got in the maill just last week and it is the model 73 scout slip joint in the burnt orange jigged bone scales.. beautiful knife....But it does have side to side blade play and i tried the vice trick with putting it in betewwn two magazines for cushoin in the vice... it worked but when i did that i closed the blade and noticed that the blade wasnt centered.. the actual blade is slightly bent... i never touched the blade... i called chris at great eastern and she said that she can get it fixed but would cost approx $25. the only thing that i asked extra was to put a better factory edge on it.. this is the one thing that i would complain about is their edging snd shapening...

Dragged out i know but i really dont know how long it will take them to fix it and send back.. anyone know the answer to that?

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”