Your dealing with Great Eastern Cutlery if theres a problem?

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
cbnutt

Your dealing with Great Eastern Cutlery if theres a problem?

Post by cbnutt »

I have a yellow rose 72 scout that "was" mint untill i closed it a while back and it cracked at the center rivot on both sides, had only had the knife out of the tube a couple times till then, iam sure i know why it cracked, there was a very small nick in the blade at the same point where it would lightly make contact with the backspring at the center rivot area, i could actualy see a small nick on the back spring also in the same area the center rivot goes through, combine that with the way the blade on these slams down hard, and it cracked the handles, it was fine untill the last time i closed it and instantly i felt the cracks in my hand when i held after it closed,, so, i send it in to GEC a month ago, never hear nothing,, i called the other day, and Chris said they could glue and buff it, i said ok, but a little latter decided i just wasnt happy with that, so i called back and asked if they could just simply exchange it for something elese, i didnt care really what, just another knife that didnt have any issiues, she said they couldnt, as i didnt get it directly from them !! anyway, she said i might contact the distrbutor that i got it from, he might exchange it for something, but he had sugested the glueing and buffing also, so, long story short is, yes there glueing, trying to do a repair, but, iam not at all happy i dont think with this, so , your thoughts on this ? should i be happy there trying to repair it, or would you be unhappy like i am that your still going to have a cracked and repaired knife when you could have just been given another with no issiues ?? sorry for the long rant, thanks........ ::shrug::
Shoot low sheriff, he's ridin a Shetland.....
cbnutt

Re: Your dealing with Great Eastern Cutlery if theres a prob

Post by cbnutt »

hopefully "things" are not changing there too much, i had a muskrat,66 patetrn mabe ? cant think right now, but, it had a slightly loose blade, same thing , as i didnt get it directly from them but one of there dealers as is the case with this scout, , anyway, with one phone call then it was completly replaced with another one, i even posted here of there exxellent customer service, i cant rememebr if it was Ryan or Ken i talked to at the time, but that went great, ::tu:: any way now iam not sure ::shrug::
IMBand

Post by IMBand »

I would be unhappy.
I would also be surprised if the distributor won't make it right if it comes right down to it.
Have you told the dist that you will NOT be happy with the repair, no matter how good?
I think the person who sold it to you could trade you out of it and list it (repaired) as EDC
at a drastically reduced price to recover some money, and then ask GEC to cover the diff?
I hope you get taken care of on it and that GEC and thier dist find a way to make you happy.

IM
:)
AAPK #6581
boggs

Post by boggs »

I was going to leave this one alone at first so don't get me wrong I respect and enjoy everyone on the forum....but the knife is 2yrs old.....that would be like going back to the grocery store with a loaf of moldy bread that's been in the pantry after a year unopened requesting a new loaf because you finally opened it..........bone is naturally material and a little glue and trip to the spa for a buff..good as new....unlike a moldy loaf of bread.
Jim
Vivat Jesus
Knights of Columbus - PGK

"Hold Fast"
jww

Post by jww »

These are expensive knives and becoming highly collectable. I hope this is worked out for you. Please keep us posted with outcome.

JWW
cbnutt

Post by cbnutt »

Thanks, i just messaged the distributor i got it from, and we will see i guess. Hmmmm not sure the 2 year old moldy bread is the same as a 2 year old, never carried, looked at a couple times, mint , spotless knife ?? ::shrug:: mabe iam wrong though ?? :roll:
vieu101

Post by vieu101 »

Well never had one crack on its own but...........I have a 72 that I thought the lanyard hole was too small and drilled it out myself cracked the bone shhhhhhh dont tell anyone.I called GEC of course my fault wasnt gunna lie about they replaced the handles for 25 bux.

With that said if i just opened and it cracked I would expect GEC to cover it.I dont think it lies to the dealer to fix it it is GEC obligation to make sure the customer of their products is happy
johnny twoshoes

Post by johnny twoshoes »

As a fan of GEC and all they do I am not going to place an opinion on this subject until I understand it a little better.

But, I disagree will Boggs on his theory.
I understand there to be a warranty on these knives, if so, why wouldn't it be covered?
A pocket knife is built to last, a loaf of bread is meant to be eaten. There is no real connection between the two, if I can't have a knife last two years, I don't want it.
cbnutt

Post by cbnutt »

johnny twoshoes wrote:As a fan of GEC and all they do I am not going to place an opinion on this subject until I understand it a little better.

But, I disagree will Boggs on his theory.
I understand there to be a warranty on these knives, if so, why wouldn't it be covered?
A pocket knife is built to last, a loaf of bread is meant to be eaten. There is no real connection between the two, if I can't have a knife last two years, I don't want it.
i agree, if i had carried it,used it, yea i would have been willing to pay for a repair,no problem, i understand if there not running yellow bone they cant rehandle it, and not really sure why they wanted me to go back through the distributor i got it from either ?? but i even told chris id take something elese in its place, i didnt care if it was less expensive, i understnd it woudnt make sense for a distributor to have to replace it, then GEC refund him ? that would be more hassle on there part i would think.
big monk

Post by big monk »

I would not be happy,with a repaired knife AT ALL ::td:: ::td:: ______especially ,a knife that has a lifetime warranty !!!!!____ I sent a 2006 Stag,back that had blade play,on the spey blade ( had never been out of the tube,except to clean & oil )__they were going to adjust,but could not get the play out,without breaking the backspring !!!! they offered to swap it or refund my purchase price___but I opted to keep the 2006_____ I can not see a dealer,not taking it back for exchange ??? maybe things have changed ::hmm:: ?????????

PM,SENT________ If you are not happy with the knife,when you get it back,I'll trade ya' another knife,and use your #72,for a re-handle project___Monk ::tu::
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
cbnutt

Post by cbnutt »

yea i sent you a PM , iam condering calling back GEC and voicing my opinioun a little more clear to them, mabe they will read this too, and see how most are agreeing with me.
big monk

Post by big monk »

:) :)

MONK****
cbnutt

Post by cbnutt »

Update> i called GEC back , a guy anserwed , and i explained this stuff to him, he said yea i think we already sent it out, anyway, he said why didnt i just tell them i wanted another knife when i called last week ! ::doh:: ::facepalm:: i explained to him i tried that !! and was told to contact the distributor, so, then iam put back on the phone with chris, she looks it up, shows it was delivered this eve.( i wasnt at home) then tells me if iam not happy when i see it, to call back, anf they would give me something elese, which is exatly what iam going to do friday ! this could have all been avoided if only they would have offered that last week when i called ::facepalm:: o well it sounds like it will eventuly be taken care of i guess, but either way, this has not left a good impression of great eastern cutlery with me at all. :x
HiPower

Post by HiPower »

i've only had one gec of many many that i was'nt perfectly pleased with. having dealt with respected distributors for years my knife was mailed to my dist. & he replaced it with another perfect beauty.--HiPower
HiPower
Dornblaser

Post by Dornblaser »

I started to post a reply to this thread at least once but then backed off. Without hearing how the OP communicated with GEC and seeing a picture of the cracks it is very hard to form an objective opinion of this thread. I am sure that a lot of knives are repairable and do not warrant replacing. GEC does small production runs, is it reasonable for them to send out same knife replacements for every repair issue? Before this post I have read nothing that made me question GEC's QC and warranty service. My personal opinion, take it with a pound of salt, is that if the OP spent a fraction of the time communicating with GEC directly as he did with us on this forum, he would be much happier today.

- David
cbnutt

Post by cbnutt »

"My personal opinion, take it with a pound of salt, is that if the OP spent a fraction of the time communicating with GEC directly as he did with us on this forum, he would be much happier today." what did i say i did in the first and other posts ??? i plainly said i asked for a replacement when i first comunicated with them. they would not do it, then today when i tried to talk more with them again about the problem, i found out they had already shipped it back to me.
big monk

Post by big monk »

Sounds like there was just a ""big mis-communication"" all the way around ???? that will eventually get "'FIXED"" !!!___ Anyway,I sure hope so **** GEC is a 100% Stand UP Company, that I have had many dealings with__and had dealings with most all, of their dealers____ in the real world,all does not go smooth,all the time___but it sounds like,Christine,has stepped up to the plate again,to get this ""problem"" solved ::tu:: ::tu:: cbnutt, When this is all over with ,I hope you are happy with the outcome and will let us all know,how it worked out ??? _______ I really do believe,that GEC,will remain,the best USA,knifemaker,in business,no matter what ( or who leaves) ::hmm:: as long as ""Christine Tucker"",is the ,customer service representative ::nod::

And no____I don't work for GEC****____ don't like every knife they have made___and have been ticked off,at some answers,Christine gave me !!!! ::ds::

MONK****
Dornblaser

Post by Dornblaser »

The OP and I have just exchanged a couple of PM's. I should add a Post-Script to my last post: Gotta Love GEC Fan!

- David
cbnutt

Post by cbnutt »

Thanks Big Monk ::tu:: iam sure it will too, its just been a bad day all the way around i guess for me, and i totaly agree, there making the best knife out there today, just trying to get it fixed to my satisfaction, i probaly shoudnt have even started this thread i supose. i hope at least you can read this, as i was informed i type and comunicate with 4 th grade skills in a recent PM with someone. ::dang::
big monk

Post by big monk »

cbnutt wrote:Thanks Big Monk ::tu:: iam sure it will too, its just been a bad day all the way around i guess for me, and i totaly agree, there making the best knife out there today, just trying to get it fixed to my satisfaction, i probaly shoudnt have even started this thread i supose. i hope at least you can read this, as i was informed i type and comunicate with 4 th grade skills in a recent PM with someone. ::dang::
Hey CB____we GEC ""Junkies"" gotta stick together !!!!!!_ I'm pullin' for ya' to get that knife problem,solved to your "'LIKING"" and I think it will be,soon !!! ::nod:: This is not the first post of a GEC knife problem and surely,won't be the last !!!!____but I have yet to see any problem,that didn't get ""FIXED"" sooner or later ::nod:: ,______ The computer problem,is a whole nuther' problem ::dang:: ___( and I don't see,where we need some smart aZZZZ,with ""SIX POST"" to bash,other members on this site ??? )___ I'm about as bad,with this computer stuff,my self ::shrug:: ___the young,kids invented "'TEXT Message"" cause they are,to darn lazy,to type all the letters ::dang:: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ____have agreat day,my friend !!!!!,Monk ::ds::

MONK****
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I have not dealt directly with GEC for any knife purchases in the past or regarding any warranty or repairs issues, but it strikes me as really odd that a manufacturer would say they could not replace a defective knife because it was purchased through a distributor??? ::uc::

I have dealt with many different cutlery companies for years when I managed a retail cutlery store and I have never heard of such a policy, especially on a knife that has not been used. If the blade is hitting the backspring, that is a manufacturing error, not something the distributor did or even the customer.

Is it really the GEC policy that they cannot warranty a knife purchased though a distributor, or did you just talk to someone at GEC who didn’t know what they were talking about? ::shrug::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
HiPower

Post by HiPower »

cbnutt do'nt worry about you computer excellance. i touched a computer for the 1st time at 70 years of age & a cro magnon could certainly spell & communicate better than myself--anyone with a modicum of intelligence & courtesy should be able to extrapolate what most of we dummies are saying. computer efficacy is'nt a true index of one's character or native intelligence. -HiPower
HiPower
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

HiPower wrote:. computer efficacy is'nt a true index of one's character or native intelligence. -HiPower
I agree 100%! Who cares, this isn't a classroom with points off for spelling and grammar.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." Ogden Nash

My traditional Nordic knife blog: http://nordiskaknivar.wordpress.com/

Mike
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

X3 ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
cbnutt

Post by cbnutt »

well things look better today, talked to Chris eailer, and there going to send me a autumn gold white owl, i mailed out the scout this eve back to them,since they didnt have many scouts on hand, i opted to try the white owl, as it was on my list of ones i was wanting anyway, ill probably be tempted to carry this one, as its small, anyone have one in autumn gold ? they look great in the pics.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”