Mail Call, Post Your New GECs.

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
El Gato

Re: Mail Call, Post Your New GECs.

Post by El Gato »

Beautiful Mammoth Ivory Joe. A big congratulations on that one!! ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks EG. It was a free for all rush at the KSF website. I quickly went through all of the mammoth that had just appeared(about 40 knives) and then went back to get the one that was a real stand-out. It was gone & i learned the lesson: grab the next one i see that i like and pay immediately. Do not take time to think about it or compare it to others.
I do not like shopping this way. I prefer to 'sleep on it', think about it for a day or so before committing to buy. However mammoth ivory is now so popular that grabbing the first decent one you see is the only way.
Then once you pay, the picture disappears from the website, so i did not know really what i had bought. When i opened up the package and saw this knife i felt relieved and pleased. It is quite nice mammoth on both sides.
It is a very good knife in all areas, basically a modification of the Case/Bose Tribal Spear with the Schrade named "Zulu" blade.
kj
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

kootenay joe wrote:Thanks EG. It was a free for all rush at the KSF website. I quickly went through all of the mammoth that had just appeared(about 40 knives) and then went back to get the one that was a real stand-out. It was gone & i learned the lesson: grab the next one i see that i like and pay immediately. Do not take time to think about it or compare it to others.
I do not like shopping this way. I prefer to 'sleep on it', think about it for a day or so before committing to buy. However mammoth ivory is now so popular that grabbing the first decent one you see is the only way.
Then once you pay, the picture disappears from the website, so i did not know really what i had bought. When i opened up the package and saw this knife i felt relieved and pleased. It is quite nice mammoth on both sides.
It is a very good knife in all areas, basically a modification of the Case/Bose Tribal Spear with the Schrade named "Zulu" blade.
kj
Gosh I know what you went through on that "scramble" to get a good one! Glad you made it work. ::tu::

That's pretty much what happened to me trying to get in on the tail end of the GEC Northfield #77 Balow series, SFO for Collector Knives. I was on an extended camping trip up in Northern British Columbia for a few months and completely missed out on Mike's SFO. When I got home I contacted Mike, but the Reserves were long closed and he was in process of shipping those Barlows. He later contacted me to let me know he had a couple left over and was posting them on the website. I immediately pulled up the website and started ordering from the few that remained and as I was ordering I watched the rest disappear within minutes. I managed to get just one out of the bunch, but fortunately I have acquired two more of the series from the good folks here on the Forum. Pretty "frantic" way to get our favorite knives but sometimes we gotta do what we gotta do. Glad you were able to get yours. It does look like an especially nice one. :D
Grump01
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Grump01 »

The other day I got an email notifying me of new product up for early reserve and looked at the website within 30 minutes and all were locked already. ::dang::
Don
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Grump01 wrote:The other day I got an email notifying me of new product up for early reserve and looked at the website within 30 minutes and all were locked already. ::dang::
Wow! That's a pretty fast turn over for sure.
Some days "it's a jungle out there....." :shock:
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Really nice Mammoth Joe, I was involved in the mad rush also, kind of hard to believe a fairly expensive knife can disappear so fast. Here is the one I ended up with, very happy with it.
Attachments
IMG_5451.jpg
IMG_5453.jpg
IMG_5456.jpg
IMG_5457.jpg
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

That is beautiful John. Glad you were able to get one that nice. Congratulations. ::tu::
leggo

Post by leggo »

KJ those are really nice , I like those acorn shields , and both of those patterns.
Yea I guess I got a little carried away with those 98's. I go through phases with knives , now that I went through the Beagle phase ,its on to the 64 phase ::facepalm::
You are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT about the GEC SUPPORT PROGRAM...highly addictive !
I've been looking for a local chapter of GGG...a 12 step support group. :lol:
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I figured if leggo needs 4 Texas Camp Knives, i need 1 at least. So i got one from Barry, it's the C.Campagna SFO Texas Camp Knife in Burnt Orange bone. Looks terrific. I have not followed the production of these 98's so i don't know why Charlie's SFO version is quite a bit more $$ that the GEC Northfield version. Shield is different as is bone jigging, all else looks identical. Anyone here got this figured out ?
However i came here to post another recently received GEC, an 85 pattern, SFO for Mike Latham, very nice with it's saber grind ("stabber grind".
kj
Attachments
Picture 009.jpg
Picture 008.jpg
leggo

Post by leggo »

KJ that is a beautiful 85 you have there ,what is the handle material ? ::tu:: :mrgreen: .There is no difference in the SFO Charley C that I can see besides the jigging,shield ,and color.
I got this 64 in the mail Saturday from a Great AAAPK guy . #22 out of 34 Sambar Stag .
After I saw your 85 ,I searched for one to buy...no luck yet. ::disgust:: It doesn't have to be a SFO ,I think that pattern would be really nice any material !
Attachments
1464142032805.jpg
1464142141002.jpg
1464142207225.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

leggo, the handles on my #85 are the "smooth autumn gold bone". i have a few GEC with this handle( #99, #77, & ?others) and i find it very appealing. I think only the SFO for Mike Latham can be had with the saber grind. The regular GEC version Spearpoint has a full flat grind.
I picked up my #98 Texas Camp Knife in burnt orange jigged bone. What a beautiful, impressive, well made, totally awesome knife !! Alone in the bush for one week this is definitely The Knife to have with you, very impressive deep (spine to edge) clip blade i'm sure can 'do it all' even shave.
I will get some pics up later today.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is my Texas Camp Knife and what a beauty it is. Usually i am more of a small knife guy, preferring slender Pen knives to big bulky Jacks, but this Camp knife is so well designed and so well made that any knifer will be enthused by it.
I chose the Charlie C. SFO version over the regular Northfield or Tidioute as i prefer the shield and bone jigging on the SFO. These elements appeal to my personal esthetics but i have no doubt any of the 3 'lines' of Texas Camp Knives are superb and well worth the price. Yes. Not cheap But a bargain for what you get which is unlimited pleasure of owning a Great knife.
kj
Attachments
Picture 001.jpg
Picture 009.jpg
Picture 003.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The Remington R4243 is the same size as the GEC Texas Camp Knife, but the example i have is heavier. GEC 'Tex' Camp knife Charlie C SFO with jigged bone is 189 grams. My Camillus made Silver Bullet R4243 is 214 grams (28 grams = 1 ounce).
I have liked this very big Camillus repro the most of the Bullet knives so i want to compare it to this new GEC #98.
Both are 4 7/8" closed, the Bullet is heavier as above.
The main difference is in the clip master blade, a rather narrow saber ground blade in the Bullet and a wide(deep) flat grind blade in the #98. The GEC clip looks more at home in this big knife than does the skinny Remington blade.
The Punch on the Rem is nearly 1/2" longer than on the GEC, but it is a more plain design with just a chisel ground edge, whereas the GEC punch is 'scooped' or curved to a sharp edge, much more attractive.
This is not meant to be complete in any way. It's just a quick comparison to show why the GEC Texas Camp Knife has completely pushed the Camillus/Remington off the throne as The Best Big Folding Utility Knife of All Time. Ya Jos. Rodgers, eat my shorts. I love this knife.
kj
Attachments
Picture 006.jpg
Picture 005.jpg
Picture 010.jpg
Picture 009.jpg
leggo

Post by leggo »

KJ that 98 is really nice ! , I like the color ,I definately agree with you about the SFO having a nicer shield ( imo ) .
That Remington is nice . I didn't know anybody made a Camp knife even close to the size of the GEC 98 . The one change on a 98 I'd like to see would be for it to have a flat blade screwdriver blade ,I can live without a cap lifter ,but when you need a screwdriver you need a screwdriver.
Overall though there just is just no comparison to a GEC . I've never held a better production knife in my hand...I don't think there is such a thing ,maybe I'm mistaken about that...I think it would be interesting if someone started a thread called :
NAME BETTER PRODUCTION KNIFE THAN A GEC 8)
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

leggo wrote: I think it would be interesting if someone started a thread called :
NAME A BETTER PRODUCTION KNIFE THAN A GEC 8)
There ya go. Why don't you start one.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
leggo

Post by leggo »

::idea::
jerryd6818 wrote:
leggo wrote: I think it would be interesting if someone started a thread called :
NAME A BETTER PRODUCTION KNIFE THAN A GEC 8)
There ya go. Why don't you start one.
Okay I'll post it in the General knife discussion section . Thanks jerryd6818 . ::nod::
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Got one of the stainless 15's in Elk,
Attachments
IMG_5626.jpg
IMG_5631.jpg
IMG_5634.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Very good looking knife John. I bet the elk will look even better after much handling.
kj
Jspurlock93

Post by Jspurlock93 »

Got these two in this week. These are the first ones I've bought in a while, been spendin' money elsewhere. :roll:
Attachments
IMG_0545.JPG
“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”-Ben Franklin
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

The Postman brought me this Beer Scout today. Good knife!
Attachments
IMG_3272.JPG
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

A very slick looking EO. ::tu::
singin46

Post by singin46 »

Good knife, I like all three of mine and use them quite a bit.
Love all Jacks
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

My newest GEC. Beer Scout Knife in beer barrel oak.
Attachments
20161226_195853(1).jpg
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

singin46 wrote:Good knife, I like all three of mine and use them quite a bit.
Good to see you Perry. Been a while. I hope all is well with you.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

#33 Conductor Whittler
33.jpg
-Tim

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”