Mail Call, Post Your New GECs.

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
jmh58

Re: Mail Call, Post Your New GECs.

Post by jmh58 »

You are welcome sir!! Nice pics!!! John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Kudos all!! Every knife shown here is a real treasure!! ::tu:: Nice pics all!! ::nod:: John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
J1890

Post by J1890 »

Wow! Those are all beauties!
I just got this 2006 73. My first one. I'm going to enjoy using it everyday as it will now live in the watch pocket.
Those folks at GEC are top notch.
IMG_1469.JPG
"As for me and my house, we serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Sweet Viper Big Monk.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
J1890

Post by J1890 »

::ds:: just got this sweet 36 Sunfish with black cherry bone. I really like this knife. I going to make a belt sheath for it and carry it from now on.
IMG_1517.JPG
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Nice color on that big ol' Sunfish! How is the pull? I bet she is stout.
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

j1890: A beauty! ::tu::
J1890

Post by J1890 »

Yup, stout pull! Not as bad As I thought it would be.
The more I use this knife, the more I like it.
Now I have the crazy idea on getting a whaler! ::dang::
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Crown lifter, no bail, no shield, no "Beer Scout Knife" trim package. Just the way I like it. Love the Sheep Foot on a #15 frame, might have to post my others with it.
Attachments
WP_20170414_012.jpg
WP_20170414_005.jpg
WP_20170414_006.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Shorthairbirddog

Post by Shorthairbirddog »

I apologize for the pictures, had to take them inside with a rain storm passing through. I just had to show them off to people that would understand lol.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=288916
download/file.php?mode=view&id=288917
Attachments
IMG_20170427_132812.jpg
IMG_20170427_132726.jpg
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Very nice shorthairbirddog, a bullnose....and is the other a Tidioute 72? Is that ebony? Very handsome knives.
Mike

Shorthairbirddog

Post by Shorthairbirddog »

It is a 72 Mike, but East Indian Rosewood.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

So apparently my jigged bone #48 is delayed (some say GEC's fault, some say otherwise) and I won't be able to take a family photo for the thread.

So here's my absolutely lovely and perfect-in-hand bloodwood #48 Improved which has already gotten pocket time (along with a little Case for the really small jobs).
34132518182_7bdaba3c0b_b.jpg
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Tony, that Bloodwood #48 sure looks like a smooooth operator, indeed. Me likey vely much :mrgreen:

Just added the #72 to my slowly growing herd of American Elk (Mahalo to IMBand).
P5080360.JPG
P5080357.JPG
P5080359.JPG
P5080355.JPG
P5080356.JPG
~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Those bloodwood handles are quite literally that, a smooooooth operator. It almost feels like silk in hand. I've gotta put it through its paces to get a little grippiness in that wood, but I don't want the look to change. It looks even nicer than the photos can really show off.

That Elk #72 is outstanding, and so is that #47. GEC sure has hit some home runs with elk. ::tu:: One day I'm going to get over my aversion to GEC's stainless and pick up one of those acorn-shields. :wink:
J1890

Post by J1890 »

Check out the grain on this Ironwood 54 :shock: Wow!
I am going to like using this knife. It fits great in the hand.
IMG_2091.JPG
IMG_2092.JPG
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Wow that is a beautiful 54!
Mike

J1890

Post by J1890 »

313 Mike wrote:Wow that is a beautiful 54!
Thank you. I not really a fan of wood, I'm more of a bone
guy. But when I looked at that one I thought ::hmm:: "yup, that's the one" ::nod::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

There is a "Tom's Choice" single blade Barlow with yellow bone handles on ebay right now. With 5 days to go the eager beaver GEC'ers have already bid it up to $355 !
I would rather buy 3 new GEC knives or a top vintage example USA or Sheffield.
The GEC's are very nice knives and those commissioned by Charlie C. are usually the best, but i still don't get this frenzy to acquire them regardless of cost.
kj
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Jeremy, I can see why you went with the ironwood. I can almost overlook the off-center shield on that pattern, that's such a nice-looking knife. If it had a houndstooth shield, or if the prop shield were centered on the knife, I probably wouldn't be able to resist. ::tired::

KJ, we often say a knife is worth what price it will bring. Well, it seems those TCs will bring well into the realm of custom knife money even now. IIRC the yellow bone was a fairly short run, but these days GEC seems to be doing that fairly often with most frames. There's a real rush on for Barlows, with newer Schrades and Camilluses in synthetic pants fetching well over $50-60 each these days (and with original boxes, watch out :shock: ) but the GECs take it to new heights. ::nod::

Apparently I was derelict in posting my new GEC acquisition here...so here it is, #54 Big Jack in Oily Creek bone:
34506408971_d723a59599_b.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

My bet is that the GEC Barlows that are now selling for over $300 will not hold this value. GEC's make for great collectibles and i think in a few years time the more 'fancy' GEC's will be the ones most sought and the more plain patterns like a Barlow will be at a value close to original new price. By "fancy" i mean patterns like Swell End Jack, Eureka, Serpentine Whittler, etc. and with the upscale handles like Stag or Ivory.
However this is just a guess, the future can never be known in advance of the present.
kj
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

I hope you're right KJ because I hunt Barlows, #15, #25, #77s. I have seen them go from just over a hundred bucks steadily up up up until I see them go for $250-350 all day long, every day. In the past three years they have about doubled or tripled in value. And I hear more tactical guys getting into traditionals. They are used to paying 4-5 hundred smackers for Chris Reeves, Z. Tolerance etc. GEC has low numbers in each run and their reputation is going up, not down. Small supply, big growing demand. But that's just my two cents, I could be wrong, just wondered why you think the price will drop so much in a year or two?
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

" just wondered why you think the price will drop so much in a year or two?"

The price drop i suggest applies to the GEC Barlows, a relatively plain pattern that does not have 'exotic' handles. The current prices on the secondary market are ~ 3x their original price. This is largely due to a lot of 'hype' around these knives in BladeForums which has resulted in a great many people jumping on the bandwagon and pumping up this hype into a frenzy.
If you read the Traditional forum at BF you know all about this as GEC posts and especially Barlow posts have taken over what previously was a wide ranging forum.
Couple this frenzied desire with limited production numbers and the result are these $300+ Barlow prices. But this Barlow craze is a 'fad' and fads come & go. They don't last.
GEC's are great knives and i think they will hold their value and appreciate some over the long run and the ones that most appreciate likely will be the ones with the most interesting handle material. GEC's have some very fine stag, snakewood, ivory, and other materials and i think these will appreciate the most.
I think the Barlows will come down to close to original price because the current high values are based on hype rather than the knife being exceptionally special.
However any predicting of the future is just guessing and i might be wrong here.
kj
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

I hope you're right, I would love to see the price drop so I can afford a couple. But to me it seems to be driven by popularity and demand, I can't speak to whether they are special or not, or hyped. But right now they are so popular and sought after the price is through the roof and not very many knives do that. That makes them special to buyers even if they are plain jane knives.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The Barlows are good knives like pretty well all GEC's but they are not better than other GEC's. People's interest will drift to other objects and ever fewer people will be willing to pay $300 for any GEC Barlow so prices decline.
Sticking my neck out here i'll say prices will be down some by 1 year from now and back to near original price by 2 years.
We will see.
kj

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”