BUCK 305/USA blade needed

Stop in hear to look for parts, parts knives, tools, materials, and other items for knife making & repair. Post pictures and descriptions of your extra stuff, ask if anyone has something you're looking to find and more.
wiseguy

Re: BUCK 305/USA blade needed

Post by wiseguy »

Sounds like a plan......I just sent Buck an email and will wait for a reply.
wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

Sent Buck an Email with no reply then followed up leaving a voicemail and still no reply...... called them today and they will not send a blade , cant even buy one (BUMMER) the lady was nice but could not even tell me at what date the blades thickness changed so not much help there, also being that I took it apart the warranty is void , what a surprise :lol: so back to looking for a donor knife .
orvet wrote:
wiseguy wrote:I got the donor knife that had no date code so pre-85 from what I gathered and it wont interchange, too thick :( any idea wher I should start to find the one that'll fit without modification? ( like what date they went to a thinner gauged blade would help a lot for looking to another donor knife) I noticed later that the "keeper" has steel liners and the "donor" has brass for what that`s worth
muskrat man wrote:most should be interchangeable, the other markings just designate the year of manufacture. If you send it back it may get a china blade, not sure if their slipjoints are still being made overseas

With the brass liners, I would think your to donor knife was made by Camillus.

You might send an email or call the Buck factory repair department and see if they would send you a blade. The 305 is still a current model and they are still made in the USA.

So far as I am aware none of the traditional 300 series slip joints with the black injected molded handles have been made overseas. You may find a USA made version with a handle other than the traditional black injection molded handle, but it will be stamped USA.
The imported knives are stamped CHINA and have various colored handles, other than the black injection molded handle. Many of the import knives on their website currently have wooden handles, though they also have some USA made slip joints with wood handles.

I have some information I copied from an AAPK post that talks about the change in numbers. I think it was posted here in the Buck Forum. I just wrote it down so I could refer to it. That information is as follows:

How to tell what country a Buck was made in:
One quick way to know is the model number if they give it, add 7 to the middle number and it's an import.

301 (USA)
371 (China)

If I were in your situation I think my first course of action would be to call Buck and see if they would send me a blade. I would of course offer to pay for it however knowing how service oriented Buck is I would not be surprised if they sent it free of charge.

I hope this information is helpful.
When you get the knife repaired, please post it so we can admire your work! ::tu::
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

There is a 305 on ebay pretty cheap.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buck-305-U-S-A- ... SwOyJX6rZX
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

Its got the brass liners so I would hesitate on it being the last one didn't work , thanks for the lead Dale

Return to “Knife Mechanic's Swap Forum”