Buck 110 4dot year ID help

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
gmichael

Buck 110 4dot year ID help

Post by gmichael »

Hello, this is my first Buck...but not my last, not sure I waited so long. I just purchased this, but was having a hard time to find the exact year? I saw the 4dot timeline, but was trying to narrow it down a bit. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you need other pics, I can do that. Thanks!

garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Buck 110 4dot year ID help

Post by garddogg56 »

..110.. 1981-1986 the blade steel was 425 mod..
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
gmichael

Post by gmichael »

thanks garddogg56...is there any way to pinpoint the exact year within that time span?
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

G Michael, you have a later Four-Dot, so closer to 1984/85. Your knife has a radiused edge. The early period Four-Dot Model 110 knives had the same blocky (square) edges as the Two-Dot knives. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Ps Here is a picture of a Four-Dot of mine, has the blocky edges, so earlier in the Four-Dot era. OH
Attachments
Buck 110 4-Dot Circa 1980-85.JPG
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
gmichael

Post by gmichael »

Thanks so much for dating my Buck! I shined it all up, what a knife. Now another I see myself collecting.
junom

Post by junom »

Hi,
From what I have read is the 81 has flat brass 82 has a hand radius on the thumb cut out the 83 has a total hand radius 84 has a sintered allover radius on the brass. I may be wrong on the 82 with just the thumb cut out hand radius, it maybe all but the thumb cut out had a hand done radius, I quit on the 4 dots a few years ago ,I just don't like 425m but it's suppose to be a good steel, Buck had the best tempering man at that time Paul Bos so it's probably good, I was surprised that the 425m still had sulfur gas bubble pits , it happens when the steel cools one of the large molecules maybe chrome, I forgot, cools faster than the other steel and attracts the sulfur then it converts to gas, it's explained in a British metallurgist publication a few years ago, I have it saved somewhere, because you like 425m I'l look for it.
have fun
George God bless
junom

Post by junom »

Hi again
I just looked at the pictures it sure looks like a 82 with a hand done radius on all of the brass except the cut out, I must have had well over 100 of them, I also thought you may want to know why Buck used 425m instead of their famous 440c , it's because you can't fineblank 440c and Buck re tooled to fineblanking tools after 1980 ,just a few things for you to research
Have a great time
George God bless
junom

Post by junom »

Hi, Your sheath should be cut straight across the entry, Buck stopped using a low entry or divot sheath in 81 they were still made in the U,S.A. not Mexico.
God bless
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

I keep this page handy when searching Buck tang stamps

https://www.buckknives.com/about-knives/how-old/
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”