Buck 110 5160 BOS

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Metalhead

Buck 110 5160 BOS

Post by Metalhead »

Anyone familiar or have experience with the Buck 110 5160 BOS? I came across an ad for it and started getting the wants for the one with the drop point blade. Looks like a "factory exclusive" using 5160 carbon steel made for Copper and Clad, and they are wanting about $70 which sounds a bit high to me. Any info or feedback from users would be appreciated.
JB
Old Hunter

Re: Buck 110 5160 BOS

Post by Old Hunter »

I own a Buck 118 in 5160 - came from the same limited offerings as the Buck 110. Excellent craftsmanship in the construction and brass fittings on the fixed blade. These are small batch production, couple of hundred pieces - only you can decide if it''s worth it to you over the cost of the standard production items. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Metalhead

Post by Metalhead »

Thanks for the info, Hunter, but how do you like the steel? It's just not something I'm used to from Buck.
JB
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

I cannot answer your question from a steel use point of view - the knife is still unused. I tend towards the 440C versions for hunting use (I've also used the 425MOD and 420HC variations as well). When it comes to skinning, deboning, and butchering a deer I would imagine they will all perform. I have the 5160 and a D2 that are both unused at this point in time. OH
Ps You are right about this being something unusual from Buck - first carbon steel knives from Buck since their file knife days that I'm aware of. I think Copper & Clad was behind having these made, how many more might be forthcoming is unknown. If I wanted one I would go ahead and buy it.
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Metalhead

Post by Metalhead »

Thanks, O.H. My 102 is the 425MOD, but I think all my others are 420HC. I only have one knife with D2, but I've never used it. Now I've got the Buck fever for this carbon blade; let me know if you hear from someone who has used one to take apart a deer.
JB

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”