Old Buck Sheath Knife... What Is It?

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Bill-in-Texas

Old Buck Sheath Knife... What Is It?

Post by Bill-in-Texas »

I don't know much about the older Buck sheath knives. But, I do believe it's 50 years + old.

Can anyone help me identify this one?

TIA, Bill
Attachments
Inverted "Buck" Tang Stamp
Inverted "Buck" Tang Stamp
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: Old Buck Sheath Knife... What Is It?

Post by djknife13 »

Looks to me like a model 102 Woodsman made between 1961 and 1968. ___Dave
Bill-in-Texas

Post by Bill-in-Texas »

Thanks, Dave.
I see now that it is a Woodsman.
I guess 1968 would mark the beginning of the Buck over USA tang stamp.
It's for sale in a local shop for $45. It's not in great shape but, I hadn't seen one this old -not in many years, at least.
Regards
Attachments
2016-09-10 15.55.32.jpg
bertl

Post by bertl »

Bill,

Take a careful look at the end of the pommel. Is there a small circle visible? If so that is a "barrel nut" variation.

Bert
Bill-in-Texas

Post by Bill-in-Texas »

bertl wrote:Bill,

Take a careful look at the end of the pommel. Is there a small circle visible? If so that is a "barrel nut" variation.

Bert
Bert,
Would it have a barrell nut if the pin is present?
I don't have it in front of me; it has been set aside for me, though.
I really don't recall seeing a small circle. ::undecided::
bertl

Post by bertl »

Bill,

The last year of the barrel nut also had a pin. It's worth looking for.

Bert
Bill-in-Texas

Post by Bill-in-Texas »

bertl wrote:Bill,

The last year of the barrel nut also had a pin. It's worth looking for.

Bert
Thanks for the reply, Bert.
I actually found a picture of a different model Buck (103?) with a barrel nut...
Attachments
file-1.jpeg
file-1.jpeg (14.09 KiB) Viewed 3253 times
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Bill, from what I can see in your pictures it is surely worth $45.00 - the Buck Spa will run you about $7.00 to restore it. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Bill-in-Texas

Post by Bill-in-Texas »

Old Hunter wrote:Bill, from what I can see in your pictures it is surely worth $45.00 - the Buck Spa will run you about $7.00 to restore it. OH
Thanks for your input, OH. As always, I appreciate hearing from you and the rest who've been at this for a bit longer than I.
Unfortunately, the original sheath is rough and the bottom pommel has the previous owner's name lightly etched into it. I believe the spa can lightly buff the name out but I don't know what, if anything, can be done for the old sheath.
On a good note: the blade hasn't been reduced by an appreciable amount and the leather spacers are in very nice shape!
Attachments
2016-09-11 13.06.35.jpg
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

It makes me quite happy to find the old ones in that condition - USE IT! When I find perfect old ones my impulse is to preserve, not to use. But with a moderately used one like that you cannot make it worth less than $45.00 regardless of how many fish or ducks you clean with it - make it your own pardner - it's screaming to be carried and used. OH

Ps These two (Buck 121 & Buck 118) were bought in the last year, the 121 Guide from a member at Blade Forum a month ago and the 118 Personal from Cal here at AAPK early last spring. The 118 is late a 1960's - it has already cleaned a Gobbler this past spring and is in my pack for deer when it opens in October. The 121 is going on my new boat to fillet fish. If you aren't happy with the Buck 102 send me a PM and I will buy it for what you have in it and pay the postage too - but I think you will be happy with it once you start using it.
Attachments
Buck 121 Guide (2).JPG
IMG_8238.JPG
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Bill-in-Texas

Post by Bill-in-Texas »

Very nice, OH!
And, that you put them to use, even better.

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”