Buck 501

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Beag1eGal

Buck 501

Post by Beag1eGal »

Hi guys. Just have a question. On the Buck 501 knives I have seen 2 different style sheaths. One is the basic Buck sheath with Buck stamped in the leather and it has a belt loop and snaps closed. The other is a black leather sheath with Buck stamped in it, belt loop, but the knife just slides in it and does not have a closer on it. It is open on the end. When did Buck use which sheaths for the 501's?
Thank you
Old Hunter

Re: Buck 501

Post by Old Hunter »

My 501 is an ESQUIRE, the original name - I have the box and papers that came with the knife, but a sheath didn't (and the box is too small to package one). Buck may have packed them with the sheath included at different times, but I don't know what sheath came in what era (sorry). OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
tangoalpha
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by tangoalpha »

For what it is worth this 2004 model purchased in 2005 came with the sheath in the box.

Tangoalpha.
Attachments
Buck 501.JPG
Beag1eGal

Post by Beag1eGal »

Okay, Thank you both! So much. I have a 3 pin micarta handle buck 501 and did not know if a sheath came with it, or if they added sheaths later. I know the newer 501's have the sheath with the snap.
have a good evening!
Bill-in-Texas

Post by Bill-in-Texas »

Beag1eGal wrote:...I have a 3 pin micarta handle buck 501 and did not know if a sheath came with it, or if they added sheaths later...
I still have the 501 Esquire that I picked out from the countertop knife display in 1978. I asked my grandmother for it as my 13th birthday present.
It has a micarta handle and came with a sheath.
I'll post pics, soon.

Happy Easter, Everybody!
-Bill
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Here is my 501 Esquire and original box (with papers, etc. inside). I have one of the small leather sheaths for this knife (as shown above and that I bought in the last two years) - no way it could have been packed in this box (same size as a 1970's-80's Buck 301 box). I'm guessing Buck offered this knife with or without the sheath. OH
Attachments
Buck 501 Esquire with box.JPG
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Bill-in-Texas

Post by Bill-in-Texas »

2016-09-04 21.57.51.jpg
Original Micarta Esquire w/ Factory Sheath
Original Micarta Esquire w/ Factory Sheath
Going through my knives kept in a locking 3 drawer chest, I located my misplaced Esquire sheath. As I mentioned above, I picked it out from the Buck countertop display case at Oshman's. It was my birthday gift from my grandmother in 1978.

I wish I still had the original box and packaging, but it's long gone.

HTH, Bill
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Bill I like that sheath Did it come with the knife? Mine is a 2002 with a anvil on the tang and it came with a belt sheath. ::nod:: If I have a knife on my belt on the weekends usually it's the 501 :)
Attachments
image.jpeg
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Bill-in-Texas

Post by Bill-in-Texas »

garddogg56 wrote:Bill I like that sheath Did it come with the knife? Mine is a 2002 with a anvil on the tang and it came with a belt sheath. ::nod:: If I have a knife on my belt on the weekends usually it's the 501 :)
Yes, Garddogg. The sheath came with the old "Esquire" when I picked it out at Oshman's Sporting Goods Store in 1978. I had kept the box and original literature tucked away; unfortunately, I've moved so many times since then, the packaging is long gone.
This is my first Buck knife.

You've got a nice 501, there!
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Thanx Bill ::handshake:: afta a 110 or a 112 on the Carhartts belt all week she feel lite yet solid.
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”