Buck 110 epoxy inlay spacing question

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
junom

Buck 110 epoxy inlay spacing question

Post by junom »

Hi, I noticed a long time ago that some of the inlays on my older 110's had gaps at the ends filled with epoxy, I was taking a close look at some today a lot of them have epoxy filling I never noticed before, it's very small, it has to have been done by Buck, the knives came from difference parts of the country, bought over more than 30 year period, I see that it's just the older ones,does anyone know when Buck got the inlays to fit correctly and quit using epoxy to fill the gaps. Thanks George God bless
bertl

Re: Buck 110 epoxy inlay spacing question

Post by bertl »

When Buck started using sintered brass frames instead of forged frames, they found that adhesive wasn't necessary. According to Bill Keyes from Buck, that was in early 1975. The sintered frames also eliminated sanding to flatten the frames. The first sintered frames were what I think of as a transition from the 5th Version 110s to the 2 Dot knives; they had the Buck/110/USA tang stamp without dots.
junom

Re: Buck 110 epoxy inlay spacing question

Post by junom »

Hi, thank you again, the old 110's do look like they were sanded and buffed, and some are porous, I'd think that forging would be more expensive than using powder, maybe Buck wasn't making a lot of knives in the late 1960's,and early 1970's, I think that process has been around a long time. I suppose they were just sanding and buffing the edges of the later knives, they have a lot of pools in some of them, the 110's from the mid 1990's until now look untouched to me,they have almost perfect surfaces. It's nice that Buck kept fairly good records.
Thanks again
George God bless

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”