110 vresion 6 and 7 data

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
junom

110 vresion 6 and 7 data

Post by junom »

Hi, does anyone have the Buck data sheet for version 6 and 7, 110 4 dot tangs knives, starting in 1981, Thanks George
Old Hunter

Re: 110 vresion 6 and 7 data

Post by Old Hunter »

To the best of my knowledge there are no separate "Buck Data Sheets" for the variations of the Buck 110. If you will look at the thread posted above by Orvet you will find the Buck 110 data thread - Joe Houser of Buck Knives gathered that data - you will find information on the 6th and 7th variations listed there. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
gino

Post by gino »

here is the only chart I have, hope it helps ;)
Attachments
BuckDateCodesSmall-1.jpg
BuckDateCodesSmall-1.jpg (18.01 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

George, I led you the wrong way - what I referred you to was the 6th and 7th variations of the 5th Version, what you are after is the 6th and 7th versions. There is some info in the 2005 edition of Blade's Guide to Knives and their Values (the old Levine's Guides series). I will go through the info and see what I can find for you. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

George,
Just noticed something I have never noticed before; Joe Houser is the author of the Versions & Variations info posted here (and on other forums) concerning the Buck 110. On that document he lists the final "Two Dot" Version as #5, Variation #7 - here is the description:
Variation 7 (1974-1980) 23
Stamp: BUCK, *110*, U.S.A., left hand. Read with tip point up, 440C steel.
Blade/Butt rivets: Visible on both sides of bolsters, 2 rear, 1 front.
Inlay rivets: 3 (large headed)
Rocker rivet: Stainless, headed.
Sheath: Black leather. C.
Packaging: “2 piece yellow box about 2” high-(2), Use and Care leaflet dated 4/77-(1), 10/76-(1), “Attention” leaflet orange-(2), white tissue-(1), Al Buck note-(1)”, 1 piece yellow box about 2” high-(3), Use and Care leaflet dated 12/78-(1), Al Buck note-(2).

In Blade's 2005 guide on page 507 (in an article written by Vern Taylor, Joe Houser, and Larry Oden, that begins on page 505) they refer to the Two Dot knives (1974-1980) as the Sixth Version (same period as the Fifth Version in the data sheets referred to and extracted from above). Guess you can pick which "Version label" series you want to use!

Following along in the Blade article I have extracted the info you are looking for: the authors list the Seventh Version 110 as made in 1980-81, this is the "Three Dot" version. In 1980 the rocker material was changed and the third dot was added to the blade stamping (one dot left, two dots right of the model number). Steel remained 440C.

Per the Blade article, sometime in 1981 and continuing into 1985 the Eighth Version of the 110 was produced. This version is the "Four Dot" 110. 425 Modified was used in the blades for this version (due to a switch to fine-blanking). The early Four-Dot is the last 110 knife with squared-off bolsters, in 1982 Buck began hand radiusing the handles and evolved (late in Four Dot production) to having the radius incorporated into the handle tooling. The Finger-groove variation was also introduced during the Four Dot era; looks like there are at least four variations of this last version.

Hope this helps you out some. Bruce

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”