Buck 110 440C pitting

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
junom

Buck 110 440C pitting

Post by junom »

Hi, has anyone had a problem with blade pits ,on a old 110 with 440C , I have had 3 that pitted in the same spot, on the front of the blade just ahead of the nail nick, they almost mached each other.They came from different places at different times. Thanks George
God bless
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Buck 110 440C pitting

Post by garddogg56 »

I personally never had a problem with 440c pitting I've carried a .112. for over 39yrs.Maybe your has seen a lot of salt water ::shrug::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

I own Buck's made from all three steels - no pitting on any (and several have seen their share of animal blood). I always clean, touch up the edge, and wipe a little oil on them when I am done skinning an animal though. My longest owned/used is a 105 I bought new in 1976 - it looks as clean today as it did when I bought it. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
junom

Re: Buck 110 440C pitting air pockets

Post by junom »

Hi, the pits were air pockets that opened as the steel wore down. Thanks George
junom

Post by junom »

Hi, I just dug out another 110 with pits ,they have to be gas pits, this one has them in the tang, it's not rust pits,most of Them look like tiny pin hole's, a few have big ones, I will post some pictures soon, it's a 1980, maybe thats why the changed to 425M , I have seen Gerber sports man knives that have them also, they were using 440C George God bless
gino

Post by gino »

Never an issue with pitting / rusting on any of the bucks I have owned ;)
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
junom

Post by junom »

Hi, I found a 110 440C wih the pits in the tang, they look like gas bubbles in the hart of the stainless, they are not from corrosion they are usualy near the point, I am guesing as the blade got thinner they showed up. On one of mine, the one with them in the tang ,it has them where they cut the front edge of the tang, they are inside the steel,also I had more than one that had grey sopts with a tiny black dot in the center, every spot was a soft spot that went to a pit, maybe thats one of the reasons why they went to 425M.I never payed any attention to them , until I started selling them off, it's in about one out of seven or eight George God bless

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”